main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC God Exists.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jun 3, 2013.

?

God Exists.

1. yes

40.5%
  2. no

31.7%
  3. nnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

17.5%
  4. dunno

27.8%
  5. no curr

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What sort of retort is that? Obviously these sorts of productions exist on both sides of pretty much every debate. They serve too convenient and gratifying a function not to.

But, being aware of its flaws, I wouldn't ever describe Answers in Genesis as "Not a bad site." Which seems to be a point of distinction between myself and the evaluation of atheist websites by people in this thread.

TOSCHESTATION and V-2 like this.
  2. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The philosophy 101 term is Tu Quoque. But ultimately I totally disagree with what is implied in your response, that there is "good apologetics" and "bad apologetics"

What are its flaws, pray tell?

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    for all his faults, wocky is not a biblical literalist

V-2 likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I see the site as a teaser to the topic with a fine list of sources for further reading. Reading stuff on the Internet tends to take people around in endless circles. See for example this thread. Getting one's head out of the ass of the www and reading a good book every once in a while, maybe even something critical of The Good Book, is a great idea. And to me that's the main point of the site.

Just for example "The Text of the New Testament, its Transmission, Corruption and Restoration." This is just a really fascinating read, not at all the kind of thing that atheists read simply to pat themselves on the back (or maybe if they do, they'll be disappointed, but then will read the book anyway and then be glad they did. Not speaking from experience here or anything).

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You're being critical online of someone who's critical online of online Bible criticism.
    That's not just going around in circles, that's circling the drain.
    But I'll join!

LostOnHoth and Jabbadabbado like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This right here is exactly why I for one don't attempt to persuade anybody to believe in God. Moreover, my spiritual well-being depends exactly three-fifths of dash it all on whether or not LoH (for example) believes what I believe.

In fact, my religion teaches me that the opposite is true, namely that the extent to which I concern myself with others' spiritual (or whatever you wanna call it) state is time wasted that should've been spent working on my own.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's great that you feel that way, Merkurian. It really is. Unfortunately, you are a very small minority. Every day someone is harmed or bullied or has had their rights taken away by religion. And that is why I will never be silent about my atheism, and I will never cease to challenge the beliefs of those whose religion is poisoning the world.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    As Merk said he feels that way in part because it's built into his religion. One of the more endearing aspects of the Bahá'í Faith is that it's not organized around a desperate need to evangelize. They don't discourage anyone from inquiring of course and are open to educating outsiders, but it's very much about tending one's own garden. They are hopeless romantics about the spiritual potential of absolutely everyone.

LostOnHoth and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I can respect that [face_coffee] Just have a care that you don't become what you're fighting against [face_peace]

PS- Once upon a time, Christianity and Islam were very small minorities, too. Just sayin' ;)

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Rogue Ten, what are you saying?

That is in fact what I am.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wocky, why is Tom your enemy?

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Go look in the Game of Thrones thread. He is terrible and cruel.

Point Given and tom like this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

only in the sense that anyone who believes in the bible probably considers themselves a literalist. i only mean you dont think the earth was created 6000 years ago and dinosaurs were created at the same time as humans. you're not going on alternative guided tours of the grand canyon talkin' bout how the grand canyon was created not over hojillions of years but by the "receding waters" from noah's flood (what?)

V-2 likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "yo! yoyoyo, its coo. we'll put everything in my boat" ~noah, the bible

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

thank you for sharing this. so the goo goo dolls are members of the forces of good? does that mean the City of Angels movie that song was written for is also a piece of the puzzle? ive always thought andre braugher might actually be an angelic being. its the only way to explain his otherworldly acting ability

is this kind of like the night watch book/movie series? that's the vibe im getting so far

18. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Rogue_Ten

Well if you know the bible you know that Angels gave up forever to be with women just before the flood which made them escape back to heaven.
    Some of these beings might have not been absolutely evil but wanted to romance females and have children of there own.
    This desire when acted on, rejected God's purpose for them and they became demons from his perspective.
    It was a sin they could not recover from even if they wanted too. And so a degradation of their mental state began, being be cut off from God.
    Where do you think some elements of Greek mythology comes from ?

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Blue_Jedi33 so is sarah mclachlan an angel? im confused

V-2 likes this.
  20. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    You know, there was a time when I had all sorts of spiritual conspiracy theories that were very similar to yours and I was utterly convinced that they were all so real. I even managed to weave my limited scientific knowledge into them, which made them even more believable, at least to myself.

And then I stopped doing drugs. True story.

V-2 likes this.
  21. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    Waitaminute.

Not sure if trolling.

V-2 likes this.
  22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    And Rogue Ten was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

he's being obtuse. he's really not a biblical literalist as you, I, or the fine folks at answers in genesis would define it

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I kind of think he is. From what I understand (and you realize I die inside a little as I type this) Wocky is some kind of presuppositionalist who believes that the Bible is literally and completely true, and that science is only apparently correct because God made the universe to look that way. I mean...yeah.

It is actually even more grating than just straight up Young Earth Creationism.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    there needs to be a series of biblical summer action blockbusters, beginning with noah's flood and ending with the second coming. that would be dope as ****

NOAH backwards roundhouse kicks HAM off the bow of the ark: Get off my boat!

HAM falls wailing into a whirlpool as the ark careens down the grand canyon, resembling the most epic log-flume ride ever: NOOOoooOOooo

SHEM, on the back of a RHINO charging the lead EVIL DRAGON of HAM's menagerie of evil animals: WAAAAHH-HOOO!

JAPETETH cradles his dying wife, whom he has just avenged by killing in single combat the EVIL UNICORN that had earlier gored her

V-2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.