main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Disney - Lucasfilm Relationship & EpVII Decision Making

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by GeneralCeel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I legitimately think George Lucas was good at making Star Wars movies but I'm not resentful. It was a fun ride but now it's over, he's moved on. And I am looking forward to VII, it's something to anticipate. We'll never have a fantasy film as densely layered as TPM ever again, or a trilogy as strange/beautiful as the PT, or an animated series like TCW. But it's there, on the shelf, whenever I want to revisit it.

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I don't understand how the man who created Star Wars can be accused of not making good Star Wars movies. By his very position as the creator of Star Wars, his work is the definition of what Star Wars is. If somebody doesn't like the movie (or the change to the movie), that’s fine by me (provided they can form a coherent, thoughtful argument to back the opinion.) But the claim “George Lucas doesn’t make good Star Wars,” doesn’t even make sense. A more logical explanation would be that the person making such a claim “doesn’t like Star Wars,” even if they think they do. Liking half of a franchise (or less) doesn’t really amount to “fan,” by any definition of the term.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  3. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    From Variety:'
    Disney sees Q4 profits rise, touts Lucasfilm integration - Bob Iger says acquisition of 'Star Wars' brand will 'further fuel Disney's creative engine'

4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    IT WILL fuel the pockets of disney managers and the anger of millions of fans.

5. Daft Vader

Daft Vader Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    My sentiments exactly. I believe Episode VII is much further down the line than a lot of people are speculating. Lucas probably had in his mind a good 80-90% of ideas set for the new trilogy and as you said this is no doubt documented by him. This film will be out in 2015. I have no doubts about that and I think they are at the stage now where they are finalising the team to actually put this movie together. It is perfectly feasible that the story is more or less complete.

Samurai-Jack likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    For whatever reason I have it in my head that when the sale went down, that it was eluded to somewhere in an interview or article that Lucas and Disney had come to some sort of agreement protecting certain aspects of the story/mythology.

Now, I cannot find that being mentioned anywhere. Is my head trolling me?

Thanks guys.

Mav Edit: There was an older discussion on this very topic, I'm going to merge this thread with that one.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It was definately stated that GL will tell KK what can and can't be in Star Wars.

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    That is what I thought I read/saw somewhere, but the only thing that I have been able to find is where it states that Disney ultimately has the final say.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    it doesn't

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Disney has complete and unfettered control of the property going forward. They can do anything they want, they don't need permission or approval from Lucas.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How do we know that? Also, GL does now own plenty of Disney shares...

12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    This is just an article (click) and not official correspondence, but in there it states:

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The CEO of disney used those words, unfettered control. That came from him. They didn't spend four billion dollars to not control the title.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where did Iger say the words, "unfettered control"?

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  16. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    #

this answers your question quite clearly

jedinightwing and darklordoftech like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Isn't it ironic that in 2008, GL would have given his life to prevent the production of an ST?

Episode Swag likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ugh, I can't watch vids on this computer >_<
    Someone please summarize? I'm kind of dying to know this now!

19. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Thank you. I watched it earlier but wasn't sure if it was answering my question. After watching it again added to some other things I read, I think that I do have the answer.

Thank you all for your time.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    you're welcome

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He has a 2% stake. He is not the second largest stock holder, he's the second largest "non institutional" share holder. The heavy hitters are institutional. He does not have the leverage you seem to be hinting at. Any deference that will be shown to him will be out of respect, not necessity.

Disney did not spend four billion to not be in control.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who are the institutional shareholders of Disney?

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
  24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The agreement was that they HAD to use GL's treaments. They agreed to that. So even though "unfettered" was a word used, there were and are in fact rules.

Also, we have no clue what the paperwork looks like, and it would not be the first time that the contracts tell a different story than a company head boasting about his new purchase in the media.

darklordoftech and DarthBoba like this.
  25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

And Lucas wouldn't have sold a company he spent his life building to not have any input, especially when his entire reason for building said company in the first place was to be studio-independent. Not to mention there's the long history Lucasfilm already had with Disney-there's a lot of common blood there, Pixar being the common part. To put it in another way-would Disney have blown off Steve Jobs despite Jobs not having a controlling share? The answer would be no, and the answer's the same for Lucas.

darklordoftech and LunarMoth like this.