main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mas Amedda, keeping the Republic bogged down in procedure

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

I'd imagine Palpatine told him the truth not long after TPM, or maybe he was serving Sidious even before then-his muzzling of Valorum is perfectly timed for Palpatine's little spiel about Valorum to Padme, after all. Mas strikes me as the sorta guy who would join whoever could benefit him the most, and obviously a Sith Lord who's just claimed the leadership of the galaxy with depressing ease and intends to become an Emperor in a decade is the most potentially beneficial, especially when the option is dying. :p

Lady_Misty and SithStarSlayer like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Don't forget when Sidious said to the Federation, "I have the Senate bogged down in procedure." I don't see why he wouldn't have known before TPM.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I tend to agree, he's already in league with Sidious when TPM begins. The plot is well under way, and he is part of Sidious's inner circle.

DarthBoba and darklordoftech like this.
  4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I've always wondered if that included knowing Sidious=Palpatine, though. Amedda, if we're all right anyway :p, is along for the ride out of self-interest...giving him the trump card before Palpatine is safely in the Chancellor's seat seems like a bit of a stretch for a guy who controls the outcome as severely as Palpatine does. Once he's in office, sure, why not, Mas really can't say anything without revealing his own culpability and is doubtlessly quite aware that his boss could kill him with no problems...but before it just seems like an unnecessary risk.

Cooperating with Sidious, again, absolutely...knowing Sidious is Palpatine before Sidious is the Chancellor, I doubt it.

Darth Chiznuk and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are you suggesting that he bogged down Valorum as Sidious told him to without knowing that Sidious = Palpatine?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Searched Darth Plagueis, seems Valorum's murder was Amedda's test of Sith loyalty...when he mentions the bogdown Palpatine, the Sith in secret says something like "deception is politics". He was mentioned eight or nine tines, I will double check it tomorrow.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Valorum was murdered during the Clone Wars- by way of exploding starship?

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Knowng Sidious is Palpatine isn't a prerequisite for assisting Sidious. He could be thinking that Palpatine is Sidious' pawn in the Senate or something like that.

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Amedda at some point most definitely in league with Palpatine/Sidious. When I can't say for sure. But Palpatine/Sidious would have gotten him on board rather quickly since he would need someone to help him pull strings in the Senate. In TCW after Padme speaks in Bail's place why they shouldn't deregulate the banks, or something like that, Amedda is with Palpatine/Sidious in the Chancellor's Office while the latter is fuming about the fact that the banks weren't deregulated. If I remember correctly Amedda wanted to know if he should have something done about it, don't quite remember what though. :( Palpatine/Sidious says no and that nothing can stop what is to come; it's just been delayed.

If Amedda knows nothing why is he talking to Palpatine/Sidious about it and I am thinking that he wanted to know if Palpatine/Sidious wanted Padme permanently silenced.

Granted this is TCW but it technically isn't EU.

10. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I still don't buy it. Clearly he has some vague idea, especially when you see the Yoda vs Sidious duel. My guess is he probably found out at some point during ROTS and just went along with it. Up until then I think he didn't know and Palpatine was just manipulating him like everybody else.

11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    The big question for me about Amedda is how long he served Palpatine once the New Order was established. I mean, after awhile, Palpatine puts in place a High Human law and aliens are phased out with the exception of Thrawn and some others. So did Palpatine let Amedda have a pass or was he simply using him and then one day woke up and wanted to exclude aliens from the Empire? Not trying to derail the thread, just wondering.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree (and I don't believe you're taking us off-topic). When watching the PT, one notices just how close certain non-humans are to Palpatine, and knowing that this isn't necessarily shown to be the case in the OT, I couldn't help but wonder whatever happened to the likes of Amedda, Sly Moore and the rest.

Wookieepedia mentions that Amedda served as one of the first members of the Imperial Ruling Council, but I wonder how those in Chancellor Palpatine's inner circle will be portrayed (if at all) in Rebels?

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Plagueis stated to Sidious that Mas would have alerted "them" if he knew anything about the Chancellor's behind the scenes deal with the Jedi. -page 344 of DP: Plagueis paced away from him in anger. "He must have contacted the High Council in secret. Otherwise, Mas Amedda would have apprised us."

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Amedda definately got a pass. The only reason it's an issue in the first place is because of the EU making the Empire anti-alien and GL not doing so.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    He was reasigned, his next job was to serve as an artifact hound... of ancient Sith relics.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I always imagined that he was killed. He obviously had significant influence, that is what made him useful. Once Palpatine achieved total power, a guy like that would go from being an asset to a possible rival in the eyes of a murderous dictator. Those are the kinds of guys that tend to disappear.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, I wonder if one of those trips ended up being indefinite...

18. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I love the way Mas says "If only Senator Amidala were here". I've always interpreted it as if he and Palpatine share exactly the same agenda (desiring war, the formation of an Empire, the Jedi defeated etc.) and that this routine was well-rehearsed for some time, knowing whoever was in Padme's place would fall for it. Poor Jar Jar.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    So much sarcasm in that, its almost as if he were saying:

"If only a fool, were listening..."
    :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Amedda for ST villain?

SithStarSlayer and d_arblay like this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The first Darth Wyyrlok?
    [face_mischief]

"For generations, the Wyyrloks served you, kept you alive, served as your voice when your physical frailties forced you into stasis! We hid your weakness! What do you know of me? Of my own desires and plans? Nothing! I kept my own counsel and waited!" ―Darth Wyyrlok

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    perhaps

rumsmuggler and SithStarSlayer like this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I've always assumed that Mas was just doing his job (albeit he was definitely in on the plan; just following orders, methinks).

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Does Mas Amedda look, like, possessed to anyone else when Palpy drops his "The Republic shall be reorganized" bit? It looks like his eyes roll upwards into the back of his head. Also he has a lisp when he's chatting with Bail on the shuttle comm when Obi-Wan and Yoda return to the Jedi temple but he doesn't have it any other time in the movies.

25. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Wasn't there a weird bit where Mas creepily sticks his tongue out for no apparent reason...? Maybe it was a cut scene? I'm thinking the surprise Senate appearance of Padme in AOTC perhaps? Things like this always helped paint him as unlikable.