main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can't wait until Point Given interviews darklordoftech and asks him what he does for a living.

Because my mental image right now is this:
    [​IMG]

Point Given and Ulicus like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Today, class, we're going to learn about the Sith Lords. Well, I am, anyway. I don't care what you guys do."

(I HAVE THAT DARTH VADER HAT BTW!!! I got it on the Christmas where I forgot to ask my mum for anything, so she just shrugged and figured I'd like a Darth Vader helmet. SHE WAS RIGHT!)

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's just something that teased something far cooler than what we got.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Can't see the image. Now I'm forever curious.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok so false alarm, no mention of the JC in that speech. Whew... instead, I was asked to make an extemporaneous speech instead. Apparently I am good at summoning pathos and sentimentality on the fly (Aristotle would be so pleased). :p

I, however, refused to dance when they started playing music. So my thirteen yr old baby cousin grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to the bar, whereupon she ordered a shot for me in order to try to get me drunk or something so I would dance. Thirteen! And when that drink didn't do the trick, she pulled me towards the bar and did it again.

Since when do kids have the guts to go up to a bar and order drinks for people? wtf.:p

Ulicus -- is that the voice changing helmet thing? If so, I had (have) that one too!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think I need a picture of this!

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Hours later, I can finally see it, proving once and for all that my imagination is a pitiful thing compared to reality.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bugger, Assail has been bumped to March 2014! :(

On the other hand, there is this awesome blurb for it...

The final chapter in the awesome, epic story of the Malazan empire.
    Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adveturers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings. Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and who cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.
    And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, "Assail" is the final chapter in the epic story of the Empire of Malaz.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, so this is the last-for-real-this-time-last Malazan book? Interesting. Might slow down my own read through so that I finish just before the last one comes out.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, there was the Toblaikai trilogy to factor from Erikson once he's finished the Rake prequel trilogy but if that's set chronologically before Assail.... Could be.

instantdeath likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Did you just say an Anomander Rake prequel trilogy? I'm generally not fond of employing somewhat overused memes, but what can you do when it captures your exact sentiment in a way no other collection of words can?

[​IMG]

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup. And your response mirrors mine when I first heard of it - Rake prequel !? Frak yeah!

Book 1 is out in hardback, probably out in paperback soon but I don't keep track:

The Kharkanas Trilogy: Book 1: Forge of Darkness:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forge-Darkness-The-Kharkanas-Trilogy/dp/0593062175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372023600&sr=8-1&keywords=steven erikson darkness

Blurb:

The Kharkanas Trilogy: Book 2: Fall of Light
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Presently expected June 2014.

Book 3? Probably 2016.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol I have no idea what's going on. I guess I know how the others feel when we all blather on about CK2, heh.

AdmiralNick22 -- rereading the X-wing series right now, currently on Wedge's Gamble, and it occurs to me just how well Stackpole wrote Ackbar. Say what you will about his Corran portrayal, but his Ackbar is excellent. I particularly like his provisional council sparring -- Wedge would just rise to the bait and give Fey'lya what for, but Ackbar's learned how to play the game. For instance, when Fey'lya mocks Rogue Squadron's losses record, Ackbar implies in so doing he'd denigrate Bothan sacrifices as well. Best of all, I like Ackbar's huge resistance to the Black Sun release on Imperial Center. Were I dirty, smelly, completely avoid of morals or ethics (i.e., a Rebel) I'd probably be an Ackbar man. :p

Havac likes this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    There's a very, very easy fix for that: read the Malazan books. The best simple description I've seen of them is "if Glen Cook wrote like George R.R. Martin". Not entirely accurate, but fair enough. He has the scope (though its arguably even wider) of GRRM, but set in a world closer to something like Caine's Overworld; a place where metaphor becomes reality (which is a pretentious way of saying fantasy tropes out the wazoo, yet most of them are turned on their head). First book is rough around the edges, but from what I've read it keeps getting better as it goes on and the world opens up.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Stackpole wrote Ackbar better than just about anyone. He showed that has learned the art of politics and is a very cunning opponent. The chapter with Fey'lya in Ackbar's cabin where they discuss the liberation of Coruscant remains one of my favorite EU. It shows that even Fey'lya and Ackbar could set aside their differences, despite their wildly different views on the New Republic.

--Adm. Nick

Havac likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I enjoyed seeing him know how to handle the political boxing matches in the council sessions.

Ackbar: "I do not like fire metaphors. Therefore I will proceed to fight fire with fire by using a water metaphor to defeat your fire metaphor." =D=

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. I still need to force myself through the second book. Everyone told me the first would be the hard one. It wasn't. It was easy, and I really, really liked it. Deadhouse Gates, though, is thusfar tedious in the extreme.

And it's been so long since I stopped that I'd need to start it all over again. [face_tired]

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I did warn you about the second. :p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One more day 'til hats.... they're even showing up on Steam now, though when you click them the page is blank.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hey look - George got married.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    where's his tie? and where's his morning coat? Where's his waistcoat? Come on people, be civilized!1!

Congratulations to him, though, even if he's dressed like some sort of ... Californian. I swear, my state is just the worst. :p

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    In his defense, I do believe he's wearing white tie - just not a bow tie.

But of course, the rest of it is just appalling GrandAdmiralJello. At least he's not in plaid flannel.:p

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This is neat.

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    He obviously didn't want to be mistaken for a Canadian.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Can someone photoshop huge dollar signs over her eyes? :p

Yeah, I actually didn't have much of a problem with the first one. It was far from a breezy read, but not a difficult one at all, and by the halfway point for me, it became a full-on page turner. By the time Raeth showed up, I couldn't put it down. Still, for whatever reason many people do have trouble with the first one, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Personally, I find Erikson's no-nonsense-yet-elegant style of prose refreshing, especially in the fantasy genre. Now, sometimes he is mysterious just to be mysterious, but I do generally approve of the notion of authors letting their readers piece some things together without being explicitly told of it.

Queen are a fun band to listen to A Capella. They did some very interesting things with vocal overdubbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.