main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Force Scream: How Palpatine tooled the posse

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    The Council could discourage being trained in sith alchemy or to dark side magic but it should be okay to learn about things that they should able to defend against. This was one of my main issues with the Jedi in this era. They can not defend against a scream. Jedi Council Masters should theoretically have knowledge of these things. Yoda and Mace appeared to be the only ones capable of understanding how to defend against Palpatine. Mace as we know uses Vaapaad and then there is Yoda who appears to have a vast amount of knowledge on many things including the dark side.

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    What is a Consular? Who the heck are Ulic and Revan, and why are you mentioning them in this thread about the PT? The TV forum is that away please.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ha, none of those proper nouns are used in the television shows.

The Literature/EU community forum is the one you're looking for.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Kit Fisto is in the prequel trilogy. A Consular is one of the Jedi Paths. There are three of them.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Thank God.

cwustudent and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I think that fight scene was poorly done. There's just too much time between Palpatine's attacks for the Jedi to stand there. If he blitzed them all in a sudden rush of speed I'd take it but that's not what happened. First Palpatine's lightsaber pops out of his sleeve and then he says "I am the Senate." Then he jumps across the desk and screams. Then he stops and poses in an offensive guard and finally he attacks. I just don't see how the Jedi could have been struck down so quickly when he was too busy spouting off one-liners and poses instead of going straight for the jugular.

7. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I do not see how the Jedi could have been surprised especially when his light saber slipped from underneath his sleeve. The scene was to make Palpatine look powerful but it more so made those Jedi look weak.

Sitara and Trask Ulgo like this.
  8. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    Kit Fisto, Jedi Master who can last 30 seconds in a fight.

9. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I am sure this has been discussed at some point, but does anyone else roll their eyes at how easily Sidious kills three Jedi (Masters, even?) in his office? And not just that he beats them quickly, but how the first two die without even blocking the first strike by Sidious. The first guy (whoever he is) just stands there like a statue while Sidious draws back his saber and thrusts in what is a rather slow move.

I think that whole scene (from when Windu and Co. enter until Anakin turns) is poorly done.

Minez01 likes this.
  10. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I definitely agree the choreography is really poor in that quick sequence where Sidious kills Fisto and everyone. It fails in making Palpatine look powerful and instead just makes 3 Jedi Masters look incredibly incompetent. After that I quite liked the Sidious/Windu duel aside from some strange facial expressions from Ian McDiarmid and one part when Palpatine does a hilariously bad CGI flip for no reason.

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It's poorly executed and very ambiguous. For starters, you have two older guys who haven't worked the duel scenes much, so eventhough they're supposed to be uber-powerful they look kind of wooden and stilted in their movements. Then you have the pathetic exit of the posse, which, as you say, looks more like super weak Jedi than super strong Sith. Then you have the fact that the scene was re-done, which creates editing issues around Anakin's arrival and confusion about what Sidious is up to in his duel with Mace. Finally, Sidious turns into constipated Uncle Fester with a hangover at the end. This scene could've been incredible, but was ultimately disappointing.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe they weren't expecting Palps to attack so quickly

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The only problem I have with the entire scene is when Palpatine draws back for his strike. They really should have sped that entire part up a bit. I'm fine with how Fisto gets cut down and the rest of the duel is great IMO.

14. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Yeah.

You walk into an office to arrest a Sith lord and you have your saber ignited like this....

[​IMG]

And then you see this....

[​IMG]

And then this...

(Okay, couldn't find a pic of DS jumping across the room - but imagine it here)

And then this...

[​IMG]

And this is what happens on the first strike...

[​IMG]

... that's pretty bad for a Jedi. Shoot, that's bad for anyone.

kubricklynch likes this.
  15. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I think Palpatine should have taken out the 3 masters with some Force feat instead of lightsaber combat. Like he uses lightning on them and Windu is the only one who could block him. Or he takes them out one at a time but using his force powers. That would convey how truly powerful he is without having to awkwardly choreograph an old man out-fighting three younger men. Palpatine never seemed the type to focus on lightsaber combat anyway.

DarthDuckie and Minez01 like this.
  16. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    There are a lot of things they could have done to have made it better than it turned out. I think you hit the nail on the head in your first response, though. The way it transpired just makes the Jedi look pathetic rather than Sidious looking very powerful.

17. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Those weren't Jedi, just extras.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They were basically the Jedi version of Star Trek Redshirts

19. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Couldn't agree more. The whole thing reminded me of a bunch of nursing home jedi's dusting off their lightsabers and then realizing that they all have arthritis bar Palpatine and Windu. I also dislike when Palpatine draws back his saber. And, finally, I hate it when Windu draws back his lightsaber to kill the defenseless Palpatine before getting his hand cut off. When the camera zoomed in I literally cringed in the cinema.

I mean really, anyone with half an imagination could come up with about ten million awesome fight sequences given an uber powerful sith lord who we've never seen fight, Samual L Jackson with a sword, and 3 crazy looking jedi aliens. You literally can't ask for any more potential than that.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sidious clouds the Jedi. He had been doing it for 3 films. If that's not specific enough I like th eidea that the scream he issues as he leaps to meat them is in fact a Force Scream power, leaving them dazed while he did them in.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    force scream

never had that on any of my old Playstation games like force unleashed

was it Circle, circle, Triangle, R2, select, R1 all at the same time? :p

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only place I have seen it is Tales Of The Jedi.

23. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    If they just could have worked in a "What?" exchange or a BMF comment somewhere in there, it would have been a lot better. :)

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

It's in KOTOR 2.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've always liked the idea that Sidious and Yoda were so strong in he force that they pretty much ditched lightsabre combat. In this scene, maybe it would've been better if he'd blasted the posse with force power of some kind to finish them off, then tried the same on Mace, who is able to withstand it better, but eventually succumbs with the intervention of Anakin. Sidious and Yoda leaping about in combat are somehow unavoidably comical to me, when they shouldn't be.

Edit: Just saw ThatsNoPloKoon's post which pretty much makes mine redundant. Agree with that in any case.