main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Less hyped, I think. I believe the prequel trilogy took a little luster off the franchise in the eyes of the general public.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Most people I talk to don't seem to remember the PT that well. Keep in mind that the prequel haters are devoted fans themselves.

3. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    That's true. OT fans who despise the PT will still go see the ST. And many casual movie fans will as well. However, I don't think there will be the same degree of anticipation in '15 as '99.

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I meant is that non-fans aren't anti-prequel, as you implied. I wasn't saying that OT purists will or won't see the ST.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, 2015 will be a HUGE year for movies

Star Wars: Episode 7
    Jurassic Part IV
    The Avengers 2
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    Independence Day 2
    Terminator 5
    Ant Man
    Fantastic Four
    Justice League ( if it happens )

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    But I think even casual movie fans had a greater affinity for the franchise in '99 than what we will see in '15. I'm not saying the general fan is "anti-prequel" now, but I do think they're a little more indifferent toward the franchise. Darth Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc. are cinematic icons and we knew we were going to see them in all their glory in the PT 16 years after the beloved OT. For the ST, we are going to see either the old heroes in their 60s and/or a lot unfamiliar characters 16 years after a PT that wasn't as well received. Plus, we've all been through this hype before.

I just don't think it will be as hyped and anticipated. Just my opinion, which means it's a fact. ;)

7. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think it's virtualy impossible, in our super self-aware, connected culture, for any film or franchise to attain the near godlike status that the OT acheived.

If you look at the most successful franchises of the past few decades, the ones that people claimed were kinda-sorta "this generations Star Wars", films like Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean, Avatar, The Marvel films, etc, you'll see that they were all picked apart for their flaws on arrival, and thanks to the internets love of the word "overrated", never came close to doing what the OT did. Even Lord of the Rings, with its near-universal critical and fan acclaim, had a slightly esoteric quality to it that kept it from being attaining total cultural ubiquity.

TPM was uber-hyped because people genuinely believed, or at least genuinely hoped, that the lighting in a bottle phenomenon that the OT was could be repeated. Because the PT didn't do that, and because I think we're in a state in our culture where we no longer expect a movie to be able to do that, I don't think you'll see the same kind of absurd hype for Episode 7. Which will probably be better off for movie itself in the long run, anyways.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Makes you wonder what would have happened if the OT was released now. "It sucks! It's about an "underdog" Rebellion fighting an "Empire" that can't shoot anything and leaves their reactors exposed! They do a terrible job explaining how the Empire came to power! Where's the Emperor?"

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Man of Steel 2 is more likely than Justice league.............

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Which is reportedly coming out next year

11. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Here are the know release:

The Avengers 2, Justice League, B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations, Assassin's Creed, The Inside Out, Independence Day 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, The Smurfs 3, Hotel Transylvania 2, Jurassic Park IV, Avatar 2, Popeye, Star Wars: Episode VII, Prometheus 2, Mission: Impossible V, War Craft, Snow White and the Huntsman 2, Ratchet & Clank, The Raven, American Sniper, Pitch Perfect 2, Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger II: The Green Destiny God's, Pocket Storks, Terminator 5, Ant Man, Fantastic Four, Finding Dory, Kung Fu Panda 3

Obviously the main competitors and must sees are: The Avengers 2, Pirates of the Caribbean V, Jurassic Park IV, Avatar 2, Star Wars Episode: VII, Prometheus 2, Terminator 5 and Mission Impossible IV! That's $ 96.00 per person right off the bat there.

Regardless, its going to be a great year for movies! Specially with Star Wars in it!

^:)^=D=^:)^

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I dunno, I'm excited about Avengers 2 and Pirates 5. (And, obviously, for Episode VII) But JP4, Prometheus 2, T5, MI5 - these are all easy passes for me. I may not even redbox them. I'll probably see Avatar 2 - assuming it comes out on a similar weekend, which happens to be the weekend of my birthday, because my family usually gets together to take me to whatever's playing in the theater.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see Disney releasing too many of its big hit franchise movies to close together, otherwise they will take money from each other.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I would think Disney would keep Avengers at first week of May spot just because the last flick came out that early. Yeah, Star Wars movies generally had early-mid May releases but with Our New Disney Overlords, I can see them ceding the date to Avengers 2 since that date has been set in stone for over a year now and Ep. 7 has no release date aside from "2015".

I'm guessing Avengers will stay in the May spot and Star Wars will be the first week of July. That's a prime spot. Hell, they might throw Star Wars also on the Independence Day weekend just because they know that it could crush ID42, regardless of it being released on that weekend. (Hell, I don't think ID42 will end up being that much of a threat anyway. It would come in first that week assuming another blockbuster didn't come out that week). Funny irony alert: Ep. 7 gets slotted in for the Independence Day weekend, I would bet that Fox would movie the release date for ID42 to a week before the Independence Day weekend. Kind of like how Christmas movies sometimes come out in late Nov.

The Dark Knight / last Harry Potter flicks did awesome at the end of July, big blockbusters released that weekend generally stomp all over anything that happens to come out in August.

On a personal note, it'd be nice to see Star Wars in July just because Star Wars is "summer movie season" but at least where I live, the first week of May still feels like spring. Hell, I remember standing outside on a rather dismal May night for Ep. 3 and saying "Geez, aren't these movies supposed to be released in the summer?" (Used that same joke a few times for some of the May Marvel releases too.)

There's also a possibility that Ep. 7 might end up being a December release, if only because nobody has that spot staked out and as much as summer blockbuster movie season is prime to set up X-Mas release home video gifts, two particular movies named Titanic and Avatar turned out okay in that spot.

15. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Avengers 2 & Star Wars Episode 7. Yeah. I think the winner that upcoming year is going to be Disney.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Don't they own Pirates of the Carribean, Finding Dory, and Fantastic Four too?

17. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I can't remember if the film license for FF has reverted to Marvel Studios/disney yet. but yes. they do own the rest of those.

18. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    No one mentioned the new Conan movie yet? With the Governator no less!

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

FF is still Fox. Fox is gonna hold onto X-Men like grim death. If the next FF drops, they may let it slide (or just randomly stick FF characters into X-Men movies just to hang onto them)

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL Tintin, the favorite comic books (they were like comic books anyway, although they came in big soft-cover books) in the late 70's of all the grade school kids in my neighborhood. I would check them out and read them from the city library. That first movie actually did a pretty good job capturing the essence of the books.

Anyway, I think Star Wars is a WAY bigger release than those other movies; this will kick off a whole new generation of SW movies.

And you heard it here first that SW7 will tool those other movies both commercially and critically (except maybe Tintin :)).

Jurassic Park had a huge stinker the last time around, and the second wasn't so great either. Nonetheless, I can't say it isn't a must-see. I will go just because they make such realistic looking dinosaurs. The last movie, much as the rest of it sucked, had amazing dinosaurs. CGI doesn't suck.

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. Funny all of this "the PT made the public cool to SW" stuff on this site, which really is sheer denial of the facts. The PT movies are all in the top 60 highest grossing films (adjusted for inflation) of all time, and the vast majority of people liked them (see Rotten Tomatoes, or any other poll of the public's opinion), which is why the movies and subsequent DVD's sold well, and why it gave birth to a whole new generation of SW fans; it is a lot of the reason that SW toys have there own walls at Toys R Us and Wal-Mart. That would not still be the case if not for the PT bringing notoriety and new fans to the SW franchise; the new release of a series of movies really perpetuated sales of all of the SW products.

The OT fanboys that hated the PT were a relatively small but very vocal minority :_|, but they are very far from representative of the general public's view on SW.

I disagree that the hype won't be every bit as big as TPM, but we will only be able to answer that debate come 2015.

22. gmoney8869

gmoney8869 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2013

Actually JP4 has chosen to reject realism in favor of maintaining the obsolete dinosaur designs of the previous films. Realistic dinosaurs would be feathered. That makes it a definite pass for me. I don't want to support a movie that is spreading ignorance.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They didn't all have feathers as I understand it, and just how these feathers looked would be the subject of debate (and remember, it is all theoretical, we have changed what we thought about dinosaurs very often in my lifetime; when I was a kid, they were still giant lizards). The 3rd movie did a great job of reconstructing a huge animal's movements.

Zero Dark Thirty spreads some dangerous ignorance, but that is WAY different; I wouldn't get excited about "spreading ignorance" regarding a wildly fictional film..

Aside from the plumage, they have done a great job on the dinosaurs.

eht13 likes this.
  24. gmoney8869

gmoney8869 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2013
    T. Rex and Velociraptor did, and you can be sure they'll be featured prominently. As did Deinonychus, which is what the films' "Velociraptor" is actually most similar to. They should look something like this.

[​IMG]

Giant lizard T. Rex is about as realistic as a dragon. I don't hold it against the original JP, because feathered T. Rex has only recently become the consensus, but at this point its just anti-science.

25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Spot on Lee.

Yancy

Darth Chiznuk likes this.