main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone have ideas for Episode VII that don't undermine the previous films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by El Jedi Colombiano, Jun 24, 2013.

1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Yes, ideas that have:
    No Sith
    No Empire
    No Reborn Palpatine
    No Plagueis
    No Darth Vader
    No Darth Maul

Basically original ideas?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Rebellion splits into opposing factions. It often happens in real life.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Undermine is a strong word. By some peoples standards simply making the ST is "undermining" the previous films.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would be in that camp if I wasn't wise enough to simply exclude the ST from top-tier canon.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have no fear that the ST will undermine the saga. I think Lucas/Arndt will only strength it. I can't wait to see what they have come up with to continue it. :D

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Neither can I. I'm counting on them to have ideas that are at least as good as mine.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But, how do you make that determination without seeing it? The story still comes from Lucas, so it may fit perfectly. Hell, it might be the best Star Wars we've ever seen.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant depending on what I think when I see it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Wait so you mean create ideas that DONT involve ressurecting people and doing things that we all expect them to do?.........nah originality is overrated ;)
    But seriously IDK...I'll leave that stuff up to Arndt and Lucas since we have no say in what they do.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah, gotcha.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    remember its a sequel, not totally original

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    for better or for worse

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mandalorians attack. Vong attack. -insert random evil faction- attacks.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Fine. Contradict previously established films.

15. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Pretty much nothing can contradict the previous films, because anything that happens after RotJ is still great big question mark, unless you subscribe to the EU. The prequels had far more contradictions because we knew certain things that to play out in a certain way for some of the lines to make sense in the way they were stated (Obi Wan saying that Anakin wanted his son to have his lightsaber, Leia remembering her 'real' mother, Obi Wan being reckless during Yoda's training, but in fact he was just a toddler, which makes no sense, etc).

If anything, the ST has a lot more storytelling potential because you can essentially start from scratch without being constrained by previous statements from the films. These are going to be fantastic movies that blow the prequels away, that's my gut feeling.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Based on that, I'd say that "No Sith" and "No Empire" don't qualify, because the Empire could be defeated but not totally destroyed. The Sith could return because the films never make a distinction between a Sith and a fallen Jedi. Only the EU does that.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. What if an ancient evil reawakens?
    2. What if the events of I-VI are misreferenced?

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Sith" is a sect of fallen Jedi. Of course, there could be surviving Sith that we don't know about, but turning to the Dark Side does NOT by itself make someone a "Sith", and if the ST is stupid enough to think that, I will walk out of the theater!

19. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Mando's would be a good idea. I'm not sure about the Vong though.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Death Watch, now lead by Post Vizsla

21. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Both are perfectly possible. That's what I was getting at: the ST is an open playground for almost anything to happen. The only requirements are the standard SW staples: space battles, lightsaber duels, racing along at high speeds, etc.

22. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    The films and GL make it clear that the Sith were destroyed at the end of Jedi. As far as the Empire, I agree that they may not have been totally destroyed, but any Remnants would have changed stylistically over the course of 30 years. Both as a culture and civilization.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    True, but the according to the films, it only takes a jedi falling to the darkside and then calling themselves a Sith to become a Sith. Only the EU states that there's more to it than that. So, a Jedi could fall to the darkside in the new films, and start calling themselves a Sith without contradicting the films.

24. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Saying that Obi-Wan wanted his son to have his lightsaber isn't a contradiction. It's merely stating something that Anakin might have wanted for his son. As far as Leia remembering her mother, we don't now what kind of ''memory embedded by the Force'' Leia had, that Luke didn't have. Mind you that in the prequels Yoda trained all the younglings, what if Obi-Wan was a reckless youngling? Those things have an explanation of their own, either by use of your imagination or some kind of obvious conclusion. When I mean contradictions, I mean contradicting firmly established plot points.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Based on that logic, Anakin was a Jedi before he met Qui-Gon.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.