main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well let's see:
    • Duel of the Fates: Darth Maul was definitely going for the kill. Not sure about the Jedi, they could have planned to arrest him, but then realized he was too dangerous to be left alive.
    • Duel on Geonosis: I don't think Dooku intended to kill any of the Jedi he fought. I personally think Anakin wanted to kill Dooku, seeing as Anakin is full of anger and hatred.
    • Duel above Coruscant: Dooku was ordered to kill Obi-Wan (he didn't manage to) and he was to capture Anakin alive or loose to him and Palpatine would intervene.
    • Obi-Wan vs Grievous: Both of them had the full intent to kill one another.
    • Showdown on Courscant: Palpatine planned to kill all the Jedi (or at least I think so after they brandished their lightsabers) and Mace initially was going to arrest Palpatine, but thanks to poor writing, he intends to kill him.
    • Yoda vs. Palpatine: It was clear that this was a duel to the death (at first anyway)
    • Obi-Wan vs. Vader: I'm not sure how Obi-Wan felt, but Vader was going for the kill.
    • Ben Kenobi vs. Vader: Ben was just using this as a distraction, and Vader was once again going for the kill.
    • Luke vs Vader I: Luke attempted to destroy Vader, but failed utterly. Vader wanted Luke alive.
    • Luke vs. Vader II: Neither wanted to destroy one another.
    So, all but the final duel (in my eyes) had at least one combatant wanting to kill their opponent.

2. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I honestly forgot about the Obi-Wan vs Grievous fight, thanks for the reminder.

Also there was the fight between Qui-Gon vs Maul earlier on in TPM, but it was clear that Qui-Gon was just trying to hold him off so he could jump up on the starship and escape.

But that's what I meant (Probably didn't word it that well). There's only 3 fights where both people where going for full on kill mode (No holding back), Which means that in 8 fight scenes we are unable to say who was the more skilled lightsaber duelist, because there was a particular reason for one person to be holding back. I just think it's kind of interesting when you look at it like that, it's not all about killing your opponent, it's more about tactics and plotting more then anything.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Did the murder of the Younglings make Vader too evil?

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Subjective.

I don't think so, but some do.

For me, intimidating Leia during the destruction of Alderaan and being complicit in the loss of billions of lives is far more heinous. If I'm going to look at the most evil thing Vader did -- that'd be it.

5. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the credit goes to Tarkin for thatm....

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Yes. But note that I did say complicit.

Vader happily played along with Tarkin's little decision and made no objections when there were rational and strategic ones to be made. There were at least 1 billion people on that planet. So even if you only consider him 1/10,000 responsible (I consider it more, given that Vader was one of the most powerful people on that station and he is shown frequently conversing with Tarkin in private), that's still 100,000 innocent civilians men, women, and children. For me, as horrifying as the slaughter of the younglings was, I can still see some kind of thoroughly messed-up logic behind it. Not so with Alderaan.

Given that, I don't think the murder of younglings makes Vader "too evil." If anything, my tipping point is Alderaan.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  7. jnrssa

jnrssa Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2013
    rough estimate of Jedi who survived order 66? names and how please......

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TomClaydon, jnrssa and SithStarSlayer like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So, I must ask about this image

[​IMG]
    I mean really, Jar'Kai Dooku?

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Not sure if there's already a thread for this, but this is something I've been wondering.

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As far as I've seen:

Least Hated? Revenge of the Sith

Most Hated? The Phantom Menace

Though it tends to fluctuate within certain parts of the boards - and even within certain threads - to be completely honest.
    It may seem that there would be a clear cut answer but since it's such an subjective topic, I doubt there will be one.
    People are going to agree and disagree with my perspective on this. It's all opinion based.

But in the end that's just the general feeling I get.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was talking about the overall internet, not just TFN.

13. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Overall internet?

Same thing. Depends on where you are looking for starters.
    Yada, yada, opinions differ etc.

As a rough estimate... Using What Does The Internet Think.
    TPM: 76.9% negative, 23.1% positive
    AOTC: 55.7% negative, 44.3% positive
    ROTS: 50% negative, 50% positive.

It ends up being the same as what I said before. Phantom Menace is the most hated, Revenge of the Sith is the least hated.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    thank you

15. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I realise that one part came off as a little bit snarky. Didn't mean it that way.

You're welcome. :)

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Meh, I don't 'dislike' TPM. Like the OT, I originally saw it at a young age.

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Twenty seven isn't all that young, GG. Just sayin.:p

GGrievous likes this.
  18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Perhaps
    If you can live until you're 200 years old :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I want some of whatever u filled lord Stanley's cup with.:p

GGrievous likes this.
  20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I wonder if that is how Plagueis and Sidious were partying with 114D?
    [face_mischief]

GGrievous likes this.
  22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    In the new version of ROTS, Palpatine will tell Anakin what really happened to Plagueis. :p

Dredalus likes this.
  23. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Does anyone know of any really good websites to go on for detailed images and info on planets and characters throughout not only the star wars saga but games such as KOTOR or SWTOR as well?

24. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets

DarthBoba likes this.
  25. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks, But I'm looking for something with a bit more imagery. Something with maps of all the planets, some good images of the planets and what they look like as well.