main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Battlefronts' gonna be a good game, but of course it will have flaws. This will allow EA/DICE to come back and make a second one, which won't have as many flaws and will (hopefully) listen to the fan's criticism. This first Battlefront game from DICE won't be the last; it's simply the test-run to see how the Star Wars market community reacts to their version of the classic game. From there, they can improve on it.

2. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    While I understand -- as in both comprehend and sympathize with -- your concerns,
    it has to be pointed out that there is absolutely wayyy too much riding on this game.
    There's a lot going on beneath the surface.

The reason Disney hired Abrams in the first place is to make "Star Wars" -- and in the case
    of Viacom, Star Trek -- appealing to the "Twilight" demographic.
    Whether or not this is a mistake -- and it is, by the way -- is immaterial.

The point is, Disney wants the SW franchise to milk every dime possible out of a "content consuming" public.
    And that means every face of the "Nu Star Wars", let's call it -- and that's the movies, the games, the toys, etc. --
    all simply have to be AAA top-notch, audience-grabbing, money-making properties.

Right now, the gaming face of the "Nu Star Wars" is Electronic Arts and, by extension, DICE.
    If they even slightly frack this up, it will mean almost irreperable damage to both.

OK, so you bring up ME3.
    Obviously that's a different animal from what EA's dealing with now.
    And what they're dealing with now is the Big Boys, i.e. the Disney Corporation.
    Rightly or wrongly, Disney's long-term future is tied-up in just 2 things: and it ain't Mickey & Donald.
    What it is, is Star Wars & Pixar.
    So Disney's future is EA’s future.
    And EA's future potential as a entertainment -- not just videogame -- powerhouse is at stake here.
    They've an opportunity, in one fell swoop, to dissapate their tarnished image as of late.
    And, again, with such a huge name like Disney putting an equally huge part of thier future --
    the multi-gazillion dollar revenue stream that is interactive entertainment -- in EA’s hands,
    a buy-out, that'll be based solely on the performance of SWBF in the marketplace,
    just might be in the dealmaking cards.
    For thst reason alone, EA will not mess this up.
    They, quite literally, simply cannot afford to.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Marvel currently makes Disney more money than Pixar does, and will probably continue to do so.

The thing with EA is they don't seem to know they are messing up stuff, they probably think they are doing it right. They might think they have a plan for SW gaming that can't fail, but it easily could.

Draconarius likes this.
  4. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Again, I see what you're saying, but given what's a stake here -- i.e., Electronic Arts remaining a
    functioning company -- don't you think they'll give that "little extra something"
    and grant SWBF the respect it's due?

I mean, they didn't mess-up DICE's other IP -- the "Battlefield" franchise -- so why should that be the case here
    with something that has the potential to be 100x bigger than BF: namely SWBF?

And about the Marvel/Pixar thing -- you have documentation?

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    KOTOR overrated? What next, Vader is not Luke's father?

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    EA listens to customers? That's news to me.

7. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    He isn't.
    Luke's Dad is Chick Skywalker over at the plant.
    A real dyed-in-the-wool, lunchpail & container o' joe kinda guy.

8. starwarsjunkie7

starwarsjunkie7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 16, 2011
    "Once more the Star Wars gamers will RULE THE GALAXY...and, we, shall, have, peeeeeace." *evil smile*

Couldn't resist, lol.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and mes520 like this.
  9. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Yeah, this game will have a massively profound effect on people.

I don't know if it's apocraphyl or not, but it's said that when gamers finally got thier
    first look at the power of Nintendo's GameCube with a "Rogue Squadron II" demo,
    people actually wept when they saw it, because, there on the screen,
    was what Star Wars gamers have been craving for so long -- and that is a large number
    of highly-detailed ships engaging in combat in familiar settings.

Like I said before, EA/DICE's SWBF will have the same effect, only a million-fold.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This game better not fail.

11. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Oh, it won't.

For exactly the reasons I just said.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It won't fail, people will buy it because of the name. Hype alone will ensure it makes loads of money.

How good it will be though, that is the question.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Darkslayer like this.
  13. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    There will be no question as to the quality.
    For precisely the reasons I just said.

The [market] Force is $trong in this one ....

darthbarracuda likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Brand speaks though, people will happily buy things that aren't of top quality just because if who makes them or what they are. As an Apple fan you should understand this :p

Why do think Michael Bay keeps being allowed to make Transformers movies? Because they make loads of money due to the name

Draconarius likes this.
  15. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    But this game, at the VERY VERY least, will absolutely not be low quality.
    Absolutely not ....

Again, DICE's interpretation of SWBF will be .... glorious ....

16. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    TheCIS lacks confidence in the abilities of EA to not screw things up for the gloriousness of BF3
    We have a history (TheCIS likes SimCity, and EA messed it up bigtime)

17. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

For some reason that comment reminded me of ultra-patriotic communists from the Soviet Union. FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!!

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I know I'm going to blindy buy this like a idiot, even if its even half of what Battlefield is I will be very pleased.

19. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    And let us not for a moment overlook what DICE will bring to the multiplayer table, too!

Mating tablets & next-gen consoles is a very hot gimmick right now.
    So imagine the venerable "Battle of Hoth".
    You can ....
    1] Pilot a snowspeeder.
    2] Ride in backseat of the same snowspeeder & man the tow-cable position
    while someone else flys her.
    3] Ride aloft in an AT-AT as a crew member manning either one of the 2 control stations.
    4] Command the 2-man AT-AT crew.
    5] Be Lord Vader & call the Imperial shots on an iPad 6 from your ship in orbit above Hoth,
    using whirring & spinning, primary-colored text, vektorgrafiks & flatshade polygonal geometry
    alá the Astrometrics Lab stellar cartography sequences in "Star Trek: Voyager"!

Re-live the rebellion's Glory?
    Or change the course of galactic History ....?
    DICE lets you decide in 64-player/60fps MP!

20. dark_jedi32

dark_jedi32 Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    So excited for this, it's about freaking time.

21. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    I have a Google Alert for "Star Wars Battlefront".

All the notices I've been getting for the last few days say that DICE literally begged to do this.
    A developer of DICE's reputation and stature in the business begging & grovelling to be put on a project ....

Still think this will be *****?

MODified: Even if it's charmingly British... all Disallowed swear words need to be starred out.

cdgodin and darthbarracuda like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Good to see someone cares for another one like we do.

23. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Oh, yes!

I see this game as being in the Top 5 titles ever made.

Right up there with "Die Hard" for NES.

24. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    The campaign for BF1 was very drab and gave you little objective, but the campaign in BF2, Rise of the Empire, was a massive improvement and recounts the days from Order 66 to the battle of Hoth, with excellent commentaries by the protagonist - a 501st trooper - at the start and end of each mission.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  25. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Question: does anyone have any idea how the legality of this will work out in regards to elements from previous Star Wars games showing up? I was just thinking of some other vehicles that could be included (would an X-wing be too overpowered on a ground map?), and I realised that most of my ideas were vehicles that first appeared in Empire at War, Force Commander, and/or Rogue Squadron. Is the fact that we have EA/DICE making the game going to mean they can't include such things?

MichaelMcKean: BF2's campaign was much improved, yes, but it wasn't really a cohesive story more than just brief explanations on why you were on this particular map. After each prologue you were just sent out to kill some more Rebels or Separatists. TIE Fighter and the other X-wing series games were similar with the briefings, but the missions were varied enough and had enough story developments showing up within them to put it several steps above Battlefront.