main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Shouldnt the Cloned Palpatine have recruited Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew78, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    I think that this was a major mistake of the Emperor Reborn, the Cloned Emperor Palpatine, basically not contacting Grand Admiral Thrawn through his network of contacts and ordering him to come to Byss with The Chimera, maybe even taking Joruus C'Baoth along with him, or not in that case, but Palpatine could have benefited if he had recruited Thrawn and given him command of The Eclipse, then let Thrawn return and wage war later on in command of that ship, as opposed to allowing Thrawn to fight a losing battle and be wasted.

Thrawn as the Grand Admiral working with Sedriss or C'Baoth could have executed Operation Shadow Hand and won the war for Palpatine, basically Palpatine wasted Thrawn by not contacting him when he knew that Thrawn was loyal to The Empire and to The Emperor, so many lesser Imperials were contacted and recruited, Thrawn was a great leader, Palpatine could have given him his hyperspace routes to Byss and allowed Thrawn to use his best ships, just a little nitpick.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree, except that Dark Empire Sourcebook says that Thrawn wanted to overthrow Palpatine.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  3. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    I dont agree with that, but maybe it is possible, no way Palpatine could have known that and even if he did he would control him easily, he dealt with Grand Moff Tarkin despite knowing that he was dangerous, and Jerec certantly was not in the Circle Of Trust that Palpatine had either.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess Thrawn got too powerful after Endor.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The Empire has no tolerance for competence and loyalty.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Indeed. All the makers of blasters that work and non-vulnerable exhaust ports were killed by Vader.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It‘s pretty much the only way to fix it, as it is one of the countless aspects that only really makes sense if Dark Empire was set a few weeks after Endor, like it was originally intended.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The DESB even has an implication that it was the Emperor who was behind the sabotaged decon droid on Noghri.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Would Thrawn have gone along with the Emperor's whole 'make myself god-emperor and drain the galaxy of life to fuel my power' plan though? I'd figure Thrawn would hear that, nod his head, then take his forces and every other sane Imperial and join the New Republic rather than join that plan.

I figured Palpatine let Thrawn fail so he wouldn't have a charismatic Imperial commander who could challenge him on his insanity.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Why would Palpatine suddenly start telling his secular flunkies about his endgame? He never did before.

JackG, rumsmuggler and TheRedBlade like this.
  11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If Thrawn was still around, he probably could have held the Empire together and avoided the massive civil war the Emperor wanted to weed out all the weak followers, messing with Palpatine's plans.

12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm not convinced that Thrawn wasn't in on the plan. While he accomplished great things for the Empire, he appears to have done so with only a fraction of the Empire's resources. At no point do we hear mention of Thrawn using anything larger than an Imperial-class in his campaigns. We later see that a great many superships had joined the Emperor over Byss. Thrawn also attacked entirely from the Rimward systems, causing the Republic to turn their back on the Imperial Deep Core.

So, picture it this way, if everything had gone according to plan.: The Republic military, knowing defeat after defeat, is pushed back to Coruscant's doorstep. Their best commander has either been discredited and retired, leaving the military divided and in the hands of a politicking incompetent. Paranoia and panic set in as the government is apparently riddled with mysterious Delta Source spies and Noghri agents strike at the upper echelons of the Republic's leadership. As the final battle appears nigh, a fleet of superships springs from the Deep Core, commanded either by the Reborn Emperor or an apparently converted Luke Skywalker. It is entirely possible that the Republic would have immediately collapsed in the face of such horror, and the wave of despair born from it would have furthered the Emperor's plans of pitching the galaxy into darkness.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Essential Guide to Warfare, we see a revisionist Imperial account of the events of The Thrawn Trilogy + Dark Empire- their view is that it was indeed the Palpatine Clone that called Thrawn back from the Unknown Regions, and that Thrawn was acting under Palpatine's orders during the period.

Doesn't really fit with Thrawn's "I rule the Empire, not some long-dead Emperor" speech in Dark Force Rising though.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, I would say that it flies in the face of the DESB except the DESB is the NR's best guess, whereas Warfare's account is that dude's best guess. There's no way to know for sure.

Thrawn did seem to behave as if he had wanted to work alone -- like you, I feel like if he was the Emperor's agent, he'd have told Jade as much instead of undermining her association with the Emperor.

As far as secular flunkies -- well, Dangor and Pestage undoubtedly knew, but they were different. Thrawn, though he seemed to have been trusted with some things (Omega Source, the layout of the Palace, info about the Emperor's storehouses, etc) is probably not the sort to trust with that information, especially since I suspect Thrawn would not have been cool with it. Thrawn wanted to save the galaxy, and was forced into ruthlessness in doing so (a sort of prosaic fall to moral darkness) but I don't think being subsumed into the Emperor's greater will was included in that.

Of course, there's no reason Thrawn needed to know in order to be the Emperor's agent, either. The Emperor has long made use of idealists to accomplish his ends. Ultimately, though, Thrawn doesn't act like someone who was at the Emperor's back and call because Thrawn ended up being a sacrificial lamb in order to aid the Emperor's blitz into the Core, whereas Thrawn acted like he was playing for keeps.

Vialco likes this.
  15. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Thrawn could had figured it out.

16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In Dark Empire it's stated that Palpatine did not help Thrawn and allowed him to be defeated because of petty jealousy. He wanted to be the mastermind behind the success of the Empire rather than Thrawn.

17. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Since Thrawn only cared about the Vong i could see him trying to kill Palpatine if he knew he existed.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He never did before.

The Dark Empire wasn't some "plan B" Palpatine settled on in the wake of his death. He started working towards it long before Endor.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And Palpatine was careful to never let Thrawn see his drawings.

I don't think Thrawn ever knew about the clone bodies, nor of the "I'll destroy the galaxy to make myself the god" -plan. I have not read all of the Thrawn-material, but I have a feeling that he would be more likely to rebel than to join the Dark Empire if he found out about the endgame.

20. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Just because we did not see him figure it out...

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why would Palpatine need to? Thrawn was already fighting the New Republic on his own, keeping it busy and rolling it back while Palpatine mustered his forces. What would Palpatine get out of calling Thrawn back early? One genius commander who wouldn't have played well with the new look of Palpatine's Empire? Palpatine doesn't need bigshot commanders. He doesn't need Thrawn sitting around on Byss. Thrawn out expanding Imperial power in the Unknown Regions and then beating up on the New Republic is doing as much good for Palpatine as he could ever do, really.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If Palpatine had given Thrawn all those Star Dreadnoughts and similar ships, which had disappeared and gone to Byss shortly before the events of the Thrawn trilogy- maybe Thrawn would have done even better- and not needed to scrape around for ships- attempting to raid Sluis Van for warships that had been converted to transports, and hunting down the Katana Fleet.

23. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    We should remember that the Reborn Emperor was completely insane. Looking for the logic behind his actions will net, at best, a partial explanation.

Why didn't he help Thrawn: probably because he felt it was irrelevant. Until his supply of clone bodies and equipment was destroyed, Palpatine felt completely invincible, he wasn't even entertaining the possibility of failure (and given the superweapons in his possession, he kind of had a point).

Thrawn, ultimately, attempted to save the Empire through an innovative, but otherwise conventionally military solution. By Dark Empire Palpatine had long since abandoned conventional military ideas, treating even assets as massive as the Eclipse-class as mere extensions of his will.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I am pretty certain Thrawn knew about the Cloneperor.. I mean, he raided Mount Tantiss early on, one of the emperors prime secret cloning bases. He was not there. Then Thrawn went around the Outer Rim up to Kamino even.. he had all important cloner territory covered. And Thrawn as per Crosscurrent had his own cloning program in the UR experimenting on Forcesensitives.. especially on crazy forcesensitive clones. That alone says enough that he was testing something to use either against Palpatine.. or to study cloning and clonemadness firsthand to somehow use it against Palpatine or predict crazy Palpatineclones actions better by studying similiar crazy clones.

Thrawn KNEW.. he prepared. but ultimately, he failed because Noghri got no art to give him insight into their betrayal!

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it possible that Thrawn would consider the clone Palpatines to be illegitimate Emperors do to their insanity?

CeiranHarmony likes this.