main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The shooting of Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Oct 20, 2012.

1. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But, are you certain that you mean it?

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    100% of all violent offenders drink water. Trayvon Martin drank water. I'm not saying they are related, I'm just saying, isn't it interesting.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I've been stuck on the Skittles detail since the slaying. Skittles must be highly relevant or the news networks would not have kept reporting on that detail. Gonna have to keep my eye out for juvenile delinquents and their interest in skittles this Halloween.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    You should give everyone a choice when they come to your door. Skittles or a snickers. Anyone that takes skittles, keep an eye on them, they are clearly up to something. If they are also carrying iced tea, shoot on sight.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Can I give you credit for that concept or is this something gleaned from 'Geraldo Rivera's Tips for A Safe Halloween'?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    No, Geraldo would add "If they're holding skittles, ice tea, and wearing a hoodie, shoot 'em on sight."

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm wearing a hoodie. And drinking iced tea. My evolution is nearly complete.

9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Crap...I just realized that I am wearing a hoody and eating skittles....for reals....

Excuse me while I go buy some kevlar.

10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I wear a hoodie and drink ice tea and occasionally enjoy a bag of skittles. Something wrong with me?

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    My son eats Skittles, wears a hoodie, and drinks iced tea. He's an operations manager for a major moving company.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Sounds like trouble to me.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I hate to be the one to have to inform you, but your son may be a street thug with a tendency toward violence.

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    See? This is exactly the sort of apathetic/disinterested parenting that breeds these troubled kids...

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    He's not a kid anymore.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    So, at least he can be tried as an adult for his horrid behavior...

18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    He also has the $$ for a good lawyer. :p

19. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    You must be proud of him :)

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, I am. Oh, wait...

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So the trial has started (jury of six women, four alternates), and this was what the Zimmerman defense team thought would be great to include in their opening statements:

22. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Ah Florida, here we go again...Trayvon was not a hood rat. He was just a regular teenager. Kids will carry around a little weed just to feel cool. School records, FTW...I was a little $#/t in school. I bet George Zimmerman would have not paid any attention to my friend's teenage son walking down the street in his ROTC uniform and blonde hair, despite the fact he tried to stab his brother and was arrested for making napalm and ran away from juvi. He was racially profiled and it's sad.

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm really uncomfortable with how this trial is being construed, as if the verdict is going to be some sort of reflection on how pervasive racism is in society. What was disconcerting and perhaps indicative of institutional racism was how blasé and perfunctory the initial response was. Whether or not there's a reasonable doubt regarding Zimmerman's culpability is entirely an empirical matter.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    We all know the public reaction to the trial is not about race. Rather, it's about race mixed together with the longings of gun nuts for broad social permission to fire their guns at someone whenever a racially-charged situation makes them feel "really uncomfortable."

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Given the facts of the case, I doubt they can prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt. Manslaughter, I think would be much more appropriate given the situation, and would have gotten a quicker conviction.

Murder 2 sounds more like the prosecution is doing a bit of grandstanding...and we all know what that kind results that gets.

EDIT -- oh my god, now that i look at it, that picture is much creepier than i expectd. brb. have to change my pants.

1. Calling the Trayvon Martin shooting a "racially charged situation" is to believe the fairy tale concocted by NBC when they edited Zimmerman's 911 call for broadcast.
    2. I would argue that having one's nose broken and head beat against a concrete sidewalk hard enough to break the skin would more than fit the definition of "really uncomfortable".