main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    That's still judging the movie on its own merits. Merits differ depending on perspective. They are not facts that are set in stone. That's not a "problem" as you put it, that's just human nature.

I'm seriously confused how we managed to get to "jaded expectations" from a discussion about the prequels' box office intake. :confused:

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I actually went straight to jaded expectations in my initial reply without actually saying it. That was the implication I was making on the views of the PT and how it will affect the success/failure of the ST as was questioned.

Disney will look at financials, fans look from their own skewed vision based off of those jaded expectations.

3. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

But no fan has looked at the figures and called the movie a financial bomb. They've called the prequels failures in comparison to the OT, which is true as I pointed out to you through demonstrable fact.

4. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Again... I never said any fan called them a financial bomb... I'm saying the fans won't comment on the financials at all, they won't care if it's the highest gross all time or the lowest all time (not possible for Star Wars... but whatever)... they will judge it's success/failure based on their own expectations as the reaction to the PT has proven millions of times over.

That's what I've been saying all along. :p

5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

So what you're saying is that you were talking about failure from an opinionated stand point in a thread about financial viability? Then my answer to you would be this:

The Transformers are incredibly successful financially. It doesn't change my opinion of them though. I still believe they suck harder than my Dyson. Because of that they fail hard. :p

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The really hilarious thing is the fundamentalist Christians that believe the earth is only 6000 years old have a little problem- that would mean the dinosaurs had to exist at the same time as humans. There is actually a Christian organization that addresses this- and they have a statue of a person on top of a dinosaur out front of the building. I love it- not only did we exist at the same time as the dinosaurs, but we rode them.

------------------------------------------

don't really know what that has to do with the thread in question, although some scientists actually believe in a "young Earth" themselves. But hey if it's hilarious to you then...good I guess.

As to the thread:

I'm fussy about seeing films, but Star Wars will be a film I will go and see,

7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That is exactly what I am saying. Financial success will only be a care of Disney. Fans won't give a damn one way or another. Fans will only "proclaim" success or failure based on their own view of said film... a view that I think will most likely be jaded and thus we will hear a lot more kicking and screaming about how bad the ST is and that Abrams is just as bad or worse for Star Wars than Lucas himself.

To this day I still don't get how people can rip Lucas for Star Wars... but whatever. [face_laugh]

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

I think you've taken descriptives from the personal opinion of others far too literally my friend. ;) What you're talking about isn't what this thread is about and I've taken it to mean something else entirely.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, and there are doctors that believe HIV doesn't cause AIDS- there are quacks in every field, and yes, they are hilarious. There is overwhelming evidence that the earth is not "young," it is silly to believe otherwise; you are talking less than 1% of scientists.

Then again, it might be amusing to think that our recent ancestors had dinosaurs for pets. I don't think there isn't a lot of credibility in "The Flintstones," but hey, call me crazy, LOL.

darklordoftech and eht13 like this.
  10. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Even if Avengers and Ep7 out on the same day, I think there will be no competition. Both will makes tons of cash because I want to watch both Avengers 2 and Ep 7. Same day if possible! All other movies, can wait to watch after the 2 mentioned.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney should open up Episode 7 and Avengers 2 on the same day just outta curiosity. They'd probably make a billion dollars worldwide in 48 hours.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, they probably would.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People would go see them back to back so...yeah.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Hell, just combine them. The Big Three and Chewbacca return to help Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, and Thor fight an invasion of earth that's being led by Loki and Darth Plagueis.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd watch it... a hundred times more or less... probably more. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

It sounds horrible, but I probably would too. [face_laugh]

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure someone has already written that in the crossover section of fanfiction.net.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    C3PO becomes Ultron after years of verbal abuse.

Lord Optimus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    2015 is shaping up to be one of the most crowded summers in history:

Avengers 2
    Episode VII
    Independence Day 2
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    Inside Out (Pixar)
    Fantastic Four
    Die Hardest
    Mission Impossible 5

And no, Justice League is NOT coming out in 2015.

It is worth mentioning that most studios are moving their movies away from the May 20th week...

20. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    And still no love for Arnold Schwarzenegger's upcoming Conan movie to be released in 2015.

21. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

That's not confirmed for 2015. In all likelihood he's doing Terminator 5 first.

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Looks like you are quite right.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/paramount-sets-terminator-relaunch-for-june-26-2015/#more-531446

We can add Terminator 5 to the 2015 slate now.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "Every field" includes Star Wars fans.

Lee_ likes this.
  24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Yes, and there are doctors that believe HIV doesn't cause AIDS
    ---------------

not quite the same thing, but whatever.

25. EviL_eLF