main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

I meant to mention the Burton Batman films actually... I saw the first one in the theater and hated it so much I didn't even see the others. So I actually skipped Batman Begins in the theater too, not realizing how different this "new breed of Batman movie" really was. I'm not a huge Nolan fan per se, but at least for those movies his take was much better (other than TDKR, as I said).

When we saw The Amazing Spider-Man in the theater I actually liked it more than the Maguire ones... for some reason my enthusiasm has waned some since then. But maybe it's more accurate to say that I liked it the same as the Maguire ones overall. There were pluses and minuses for both versions.

I liked watching The Hulk on TV when I was a kid, but I never saw any of the Hulk movies, either (meant to put them on the "never saw" list).

I guess I would say that The Avengers is my favorite of all of the superhero movies that I've seen, with the Iron Man movies after it... and maybe Batman Begins and TDK are next on that list.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I skipped Batman Begins because I don't like Katie Holmes. :p I watched all of them a few months ago; I think I talked to you all about it first. Batman Begins ended up being my favorite of the Nolan films in spite of Mrs. Cruise.

I remember the first Burton Batman movie being really hyped; the theater was a zoo the night I saw it and I don't even think it was opening night. It took us an hour to get out of the parking lot afterwards; the guy I was with was into some spiel about how "this is as bad as the Van Halen concert".

3. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    It was kind of a shocking experience watching the Burton Batman movies for the first time since I was a kid and realising they're actually pretty terrible. Kids are stupid and like dumb things.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love superhero movies. I just saw Man of Steel the other day and thought it was pretty good, and a helluva pretty film, which was to be expected from Zack Snyder. Henry Cavill was great in the role, as was Michael Shannon as Zod. It's definitely a very fresh take on the franchise, and it's not at all trying to be better than the Reeve films, merely its own thing.

As for Batman, I love Nolan's films, but I admit they're not all perfect. TDK drags on at some points, while TDKR has a few plot points I dislike, such as Bruce completely giving up the cowl for 8 years. I actually have no problem with the trials, since it was all just a sham. Almost everything Bane said was rhetoric, since he and Talia really just wanted to carry out Ra's al Ghul's legacy.

Burton's films were better than Schumacher's, but they're all very dated. I'll always love Nicholson's Joker and all the villains in Batman Returns, hell even Jim Carrey's Riddler and Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze, just as I love Ledger's Joker and Hardy's Bane. Cillian Murphy just got more and more hilarious as the Nolan movies went on.

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    As promised, I decided to post some photos of my more-than-weeklong trip to Hong Kong, which I just returned from yesterday. Just to briefly summarize my experience: I very much enjoyed the trip, which was a much-needed break from university and allowed me to spend time with family members I do not see very often. Unlike my previous trip five years back, which was spent more as a tourist, I was able to sample daily life in HK by living in my uncle's apartment, which admittedly was larger than most apartments in the city. Still, had to use a mattress and sleep on the floor half the time.

Space is very much a commodity in HK. This is not a place for those with claustrophobia, as the population density is extremely high. However, the public transportation system here is one of the best. So many buses, shuttles, and taxis; as many as there are actual personally-owned vehicles on the road. I thought that the subway system was especially great; far more modern and much cleaner-looking than the aging stations underneath New York City, for example. They also took you almost anywhere in the city in a relatively short amount of time. The food was also a great highlight of the trip; there were so many different kinds of dishes one can enjoy, be it from dim sum, fusion food, traditional Chinese cuisine, etc. The food was also less expensive than that back home in California.

That being said, summer weather here was anything but pleasant. The weather was always very hot and humid, and thus staying outside for prolonged periods of time was quite uncomfortable. There was a tropical storm moving in about midway through the trip, and this added some random intervals of heavy rain, not unlike weather in Florida, but also hotter and less pleasant. That is probably one thing I won't miss, and even arriving back to the summer weather in Los Angeles in the middle of the day felt quite pleasant in comparison.

Anyways, enough with my spiel, here are some scenic photos I took with my phone during the trip (warning: lots of big pics):
    [​IMG]
    View of part of the city in Hong Kong Island from my uncle's high-rise apartment
    [​IMG]
    Hong Kong Stadium from above
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Times Square in Hong Kong
    [​IMG]
    Monsters University setup to promote the upcoming Disney/Pixar animation
    [​IMG]
    Photo of a ferry I took from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon Harbour
    [​IMG]
    View of the IFC and other buildings from the ferry
    [​IMG]
    Hong Kong Island at night from atop the Peak (sorry for the poor quality)
    [​IMG]
    Kowloon Harbour
    [​IMG]
    Buildings along the harbor of Hong Kong Island
    [​IMG]
    Closeup of one of the office buildings

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, my sister was in HK in January and pretty much hated it.

And hey, the NYC subway may be old and dirty, but it gets the job done. :p

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have trouble with heat and humidity and crowds so it doesn't sound like my cup of tea but those pictures are beautiful.

I'll bet you can get good Thai food there as well. I'm always on the lookout for good Thai food.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I found the following video about an experimental, modified T-cell treatment that successfully eliminated cancer (leukemia) in a young girl very inspiring. I know a few family members who have had run-ins with cancer, and learning about new treatments that could potentially not just treat the symptoms of cancer, but cure it altogether is something I am very much invested in. It is such things that have motivated me in my research, and hopefully I can continue tackling these clinical problems in my future career.

For those interested in learning more about this experimental treatment, check out this story.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Best of luck to you, Circular_Logic.

I lost my grandfather to cancer in 2010 and my uncle last August, and I'm rapidly losing my aunt . I'm actually sitting in the hospice house with her and typing this while she sleeps.

I hope someone cures cancer in my lifetime. I can't look at the video right now (don't want to wake her up, I'll definitely do it later though) but T-cell treatment sounds familiar, I think my uncle looked into going to Houston to get that done.

I would like to see insurance companies start paying something on experimental treatments but that's a long shot.

Anyway, thanks for posting that, I like seeing the new research.

Circular_Logic and eht13 like this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Circular_Logic : Thanks for the photos. Your uncle has a great view from his apartment. I've been to Hong Kong a few times, back when I lived in Japan, but it's been a while (the last time I was there was probably in '92).

Circular_Logic likes this.
  11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    All of my dreams have just come true.

[​IMG]

12. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    This statue is great ! Does Savage has his lightsaber too ?

Same thing for me. Actually I'm not a Superhero big fan except for Batman, Superman and X-Men that I love.

13. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Sadly, no. :(

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    What the...?! Tim Burton's Batman films are just as wonderful as they always were. Some of the effects and Prince's 2-3 songs in the first one do make it a product of its time, yes, but nonetheless, it acknowledges its comic book origins and doesn't ill-fatedly attempt to make a superhero movie blandly realistic while hypocritically breaking that cardinal rule as Nolan did time and time again. I am not saying Nolan's films are awful, he tried a valid take on the Batman universe, Heath Ledger did give a very memorable interpretation of the Joker, and I am a fan of Michael Mann's Heat, which Nolan borrowed a lot of elements from, but I simply can't get over how Christian Bale chose to portray Batman (overblown rage and that silly voice), or how incredibly pretentious yet glutted the scripts were (Goyer and Nolan's brother are the culprits).

Michael Keaton's Batman is far less forces than Christian Bale's interpretation. The production design blows Nolan's universe out of the water. Burton understood that Gotham City is a character of its own, a dystopian city, like L.A. is in Blade Runner. That wonderfully designed Batmobile and Batwing. Kim Basinger and Michelle Pfeiffer. It has charismatic villains that actually mirror Batman's persona.

Anyway, are any LACWACs heading to Celebration Europe II?

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    P.S.:

Disclaimer: My opinion on Nolan's Batman universe is just that, an opinion. If you appreciate his films, more power to you. No death threat PMs from outraged Nolanites for daring to question their god's brilliance are necessary. I trust that fellow LACWACs are way above those people, but it doesn't hurt to add this footnote. :p

Sooo anyway... Celebration Europe II, who's making the trip?

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I could talk for days about superhero movies, but nah.

17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    My Emmy wishes for Drama, with my preferred winner in bold:

BEST DRAMA
    Game of Thrones
    Homeland
    Downton Abbey
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    The Good Wife

BEST DRAMA ACTOR
    Damian Lewis, Homeland
    Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
    Jon Hamm, Mad Men
    Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
    Kevin Spacey, House of Cards
    Matthew Rhys, The Americans

BEST DRAMA ACTRESS
    Claire Danes, Homeland
    Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
    Julianna Marguiles, The Good Wife
    Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
    Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
    Kerry Washington, Scandal

BEST DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
    Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
    Mandy Patinkin, Homeland
    Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
    Jonathan Banks, Breaking Bad
    Mads Mikkelsen, Hannibal

BEST DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Michelle Fairley, Game of Thrones
    Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
    Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
    Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
    Monica Potter, Parenthood
    Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife

BEST DRAMA GUEST ACTOR
    Matthew J. Fox, The Good Wife
    Nathan Lane, The Good Wife
    Dylan Baker, The Good Wife
    Rupert Friend, Homeland
    Ray Romano, Parenthood
    Jimmy Smitts, Sons of Anarchy

BEST DRAMA GUEST ACTRESS
    Diana Rigg, Game of Thrones
    Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife
    Carrie Preston, The Good Wife
    Marin Ireland, Homeland
    Shirley MacLaine, Downton Abbey
    Jane Fonda, The Newsroom

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only one of the shows I've seen is Game of Thrones, and that was only a few episodes the first season.

*crawls back under rock*

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hilariously, the only one of those shows I've seen is a few episodes of The Good Wife.

*sets up rock next to Tracy's, crawls under it, waits for Ep VII or longer*

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Swap Game of Thrones for Mad Men and I'm the same way (though I've seen every episode). Save some room under the rock. ;)

That said, Jon Hamm acted his heart out this season, and I'll be damned if he doesn't win this year. Or at least Bryan Cranston, 'cause he's ****ing Bryan Cranston.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Epic fail.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Burton's Batman movie had great music and Gotham was designed well. Those were the only two things it had going for it. I'd say the Burton version disrespects the comic far more than Nolan's. Burton's Batman kills people, that says it all right there. Having Joker be the one to kill Batman's parents is another idiotic move. I didn't like Jack Nicholson's Joker because Jack Napier before he fell into the chemical vat and the Joker after are exactly the same character except now he laughs a bit more. The movie looks nice at a glance but it's all flash and no substance.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't seen any of those shows.

We're gonna need more rocks...

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'll bring a rock for myself too.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't like any of these shows except House Of Cards. I watch other kinds of shows, I watch shows like Falling Skies, Person Of Interest ...

Does anyone have seen the series premiere of Under the Dome monday ?
    I thought it was an awesome premiere with great actors and a good script. Different from the book but in a good way. Personally I am happy with the changes from the book because it allows to discover a new story, you don't know what's going to happen before it airs on TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.