main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    voting for Katie too

Robimus likes this.
  2. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I'm not super familiar with either of them, but to me Morena seems to be just a tad more fitting. So she has my vote.

3. A-Null

A-Null Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    Afternoon fellow Mando's! Been away for a while and finally got round to getting a new password for my email I set up on here and also for the forum itself! Eager to catch up so will read a few pages back!

I am sure this may have been mentioned on here but anyone attending CEII?

Robimus likes this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Oya A-Null, glad to see you back around these parts.

I won't be attending, not sure if anyone else here is.

[​IMG]

5. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Here's a preview for the Mando fan club :p . It's been a tradition of the Mando Mercs to give away a special "Celebration Only" piece of LFL-approved art since Celebration V. For CE2 we are releasing "Return to Glory", depicting Mandalore the Uniter and the "Return Movement" of 1051bby re-taking Mandalore.

[​IMG]

Whitelight, Hansa, Robimus and 3 others like this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That is awesome! :cool:

[​IMG]

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice. I like the seeming McQuarrie influence in the trooper armor design.

8. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
  9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Welcome back A-Null!

What is CEII? Celebration Europe 2? I must be a little behind on the lingo :p

I will actually be at a convention that weekend(if it is July 26th-28th), TFcon in Toronto, Canada. I'd love to go to a Celebration one day, but thus far they haven't been close enough to me.(Crossing my fingers for Minneapolis)

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  10. A-Null

A-Null Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    Good to be back! After starting a new job all my login details all lost etc.

Robi - yes CEII is celebration Europe. As I will never get out to Orlando for other celebrations I had to make sure I was at this one. Will share any Mando brethren's I see out there with pics in here! Oya!

11. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
  12. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Last call for votes for Parja! Get them in now if you haven't already.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Off-topic of the casting, but I was thinking about Fenn Shysa in Shadows of Mindor, and I have come to the conclusion that, while Stover did not dislike Traviss' characterization of Mandalorians (he even contacted her about using the language, and made Shysa a serious bad shebs), he was definitely giving her a friendly ribbing in Han's thoughts about Shysa. He thought of him as "holier-than-thou, more-studly-than-thou, and all-around-better-person-than-thou" and also a MESFAC: "master of every single flipping aspect of combat." These are some of the complaints that fans have about Mandos in Traviss' books: they're apparently morally higher than the Jedi, and they can fight better than anyone. Is this Stover jokingly acknowledging the fans who dislike Mandos? Thoughts?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say his Shysa didn't seem too different from the Marvel version.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Didn't Shysa flirt quite a bit with Leia in the comics as well? I admit to having never read them but I thought something like that had been mentioned before. That would cause quite a bit of tension on Solo's end. Plus Solo's other interactions with Mandalorians weren't all that great so I think he would be predisposed to some rather unflattering thoughts about them anyway.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I seem to recall a certain Mandalorian that froze Han in carbonite and sold him to Jabba the Hutt - not that Han would carry a grudge.[face_cowboy]

No, I don't think Stover's Han POV is a shot at Traviss. Most of what he says could be equally applied to the KotOR era Mandalorians. They are pretty common Mandalorian traits, from KotOR to TCW to Legacy.

18. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    One thing a lot of people don't realize, and that is that the Mandalorians are an arrogant people that believe their faith is above all. That their conquests during the Mandalorian Wars were morally justified (to the Mandos of that era, mind you) -- that they were liberating the people of those worlds from their own stagnation.

Later Mandos obviously carried on the mentality that they were morally justified in every aspect of their lives. They continue to be killers; this time as assassins, mercenaries, bounty hunters, debt collectors, pirates and zealots. What if one takes a bounty on a helpless being, then justifies it with "It's a job". I believe I've seen examples of that in the Mandos a few times.

As much as I love them, they are definitely overly proud of their ways. But what warrior culture isn't?

So no, I don't think he was taking a stab at anti-Travissers. It's just a POV of a non-Mandalorian, just as Traviss's books are written from a Mando sympethatic POV.

19. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008

I feel like this is something a lot of people either don't realize, forget, or choose to ignore. Yes, of course Travis uses her books as a platform for expressing her own opinions on subjects such as the Jedi's flaws, how great the Mandalorians are, etc. But her stories (specifically the RC books) are also placed within the context, and for the most part seen through the eyes of Clone/Mando-sympathizers. It's because of this that the Jedi can seem so horrible (and the Mando's so great). I feel like people often misinterpret her books as trying to say that "No, the Jedi are actually objectively bad people because of all of this: ...", but they're actually saying "No, not everyone likes the Jedi. For example, these people don't like the Jedi for these reasons." It's a difference of perception.

Edit: I used the portrayal of jedi as an example, but the same principle would apply to to how Mandalorians (or anyone else for that matter) are portrayed.

Hansa, Bardan_Jusik and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    So can we chalk Revelation all up to unreliable narration then? 'Cause as much as I like Mandos and KT, that book was taking things way too far. Order 66 a little as well.

21. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    I agree with that. People tend to forget that whatever side you're reading from, they'll always appear to be better than the rest. Definitely wasn't Traviss trying to make them better than Jedi and others, but simply to give a new look to how Mandalorians are. Personally I liked how we were given some explanation as to how Mandalorians were so notorious for killing Jedi (Boba's explaining it to Jaina). Overall I dont get why people make such a big deal about how things are explained or pan out in the EU and films. I just took it all as a new dimensions to the Star Wars universe. Hell as a kid growing up and watching these films, I had no idea that people hated the Prequel Trilogy so much until I got a laptop for graduation and started browsing the internet for SW fan sites. To me just take them as is, love it or hate it, it's the Star Wars universe. That is if the next trilogy flips that pancake...

22. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    That is a sweet looking picture.

23. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    In the end nothing is perfect. Despite the fact that Revelation heaps praise onto Jaina Solo and shows Luke actually wanting to save and redeem Jacen Solo, many don't seem to remember any of that - just the silly ending with Jacen getting knee capped.

In my experience that thing that upset people the most is that KT dared to show a Mandalorian sword master best Jaina in training combat when Jaina was using a weapon she wasn't familiar with, and wasn't using the Force - once. Also Fett's strike against her, even though it uses the exact same principle that allowed the Clone Troopers to destroy the Jedi during Order 66. Everyone was fine with it as a part of the ROTS novelization, but when Karen uses the same ploy with the galaxies all time best bounty hunter people screamed out in uproar :p

On the flip side, in FOTJ we get Mandalorians assaulting the Jedi Temple - and they don't manage to kill a single Jedi - not one. In fact the only Jedi the Mandalorians could kill was a child, via a surprise assassination. Every other time they go up against the Jedi in that series they get dominated - doesn't matter if it is Jaina Solo they are fighting or unnamed Jedi number two.

Mia Mesharad and Commander_Ducky like this.
  24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Morena Baccarin, by a vote of three to two, will portray Parja Bralor!

[​IMG]

Whitelight likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm actually intermittently re-reading LOTF in between other books (since I have never read them 100% in order), and will get to Revelation in a month or two, so hopefully I can comment better then, considering I last read those books only as they came out in paperback. :p

I actually had no problem with that first strike Boba made against Jaina. And, though I didn't like the concept, I did like the actual portrayal of her training. But yeah. That knee-capping incident. [face_plain] [face_sigh]

EDIT: And yay! Morena! Now, I'm not really into fanon, but I like to think that Parja had a brief stint as a Companion before she met Fi. :p

Robimus likes this.