main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion a more personal film

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by obiman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. obiman

obiman Jedi Master

Sep 22, 2000
    There has been much discussion about the type of government and the role of the Jedi in the government. But what if episode 7 isn't really about that. The story in episodes 1-6 revolved around government and the civil war. But with the sith gone, the government might not be the focus of the plot. It might be an interesting transition to a very different story that is about Luke and his ancestors and less about political turmoil.

Is this impossible that the movie might not involve any government/political events?

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I suppose it's possible, but the series is called "Star Wars"... so unless Luke & his family & friends are having a very small-scale war, I don't see it happening. Small-scale war COULD work, but could also run the risk of feeling TOO small... making a movie feel like something more suitable for a TV episode (like, say, Star Trek: Insurrection)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. obiman

obiman Jedi Master

Sep 22, 2000
    I certainly don't think it will be an indie film. But I could see a storyline that is just about jedi's and Skywalker's and doesn't revolve around a government being overthrown. It seems everyone assumes that the government has to be in turmoil.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The government probably IS in turmoil if there's a large-scale war going on... tho in the OT, the "Galactic Civil War" was pretty small-scale, since the Rebels were largely confined to a single world as a base each time, or just hanging around on their ships out in space. The Rebels pretty much threw their entire fleet at the Death Star in ROTJ, and there really weren't a whole lot of ships... tho I like to think that MOST of the starfighters were engaging the Imp ships and not seen often (we never did see B-wings in action, nor get an 'all wings report in' notice from them, unless they were supposed to be part of Gold Group which we never see, aside from the Falcon--I always heard they were supposed to be Blue Group)

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is an interesting thread. I like the idea that the galaxy-wide conflict ended when Palpatine hit the reactor.

6. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think they will go this direction for the sequel trilogy but it would be delightful if they did. I think we're more likely to see this in the spin-offs. I would love to see something like Yojimbo or Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven where the whole drama basically takes place in one town.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Star Wars is an epic. Whatever personal story takes place will always be within the context of important places and events. So yes, but no. I imagine the spin-offs will allow for more of a personal feel, but even they will still likely retain something of an epic feel.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Do you mean Luke & his descendants?

With JJ "Blow 'Em Up Fast" Abrams at the helm I don't think we're in for a meaningful drama.

Poli-Sci Jedi likes this.
  9. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Star Wars is all about conflict/resolution. I don't see them straying too far from that concept, be it on galactic civil unrest and or the internal struggle of the protagonist.

10. obiman

obiman Jedi Master

Sep 22, 2000
    Yes I meant descendants. I would figure by ep 8 & 9 that some major event would move the plot. But I could see ep 7 be more about the Skywalker's with a minor "macguffin" to complete the movie.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Conflict and resloution takes many forms, whether galactic, planetary, or internal.

Trebor Sabreon and Chewgumma like this.
  12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Exactly this... with the Star Wars name comes epic scales of conflict.

13. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm pretty sure 7 will start off very peaceful and portray a more "civilized" time. But, as 7 progresses, a new evil will rise...

-C

14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'd quite like to see a smaller Star Wars movie. It would make a change of pace from the all out galactic war that we've seen in every movie prior. But I think it would be something more suited to a self contained spin-off rather than a main episode in the saga. And even then chances of something like it ever getting produced are pretty slim. Hollywood seems to believe that the only way to make a profit off of major franchises is to have large scale set pieces to dazzle the audience. And you can't really have those in a focused, character driven piece.

Because, as we all know, Star Wars is about meaningful drama. It is most certainly not a series of fast paced action movies based off of corny adventure serials. No, not at all.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I can see the title crawl now...

"Episode VII
    It is a time of peace. Nothing at all has
    happened in the decades following the
    death of EMPEROR PALPATINE. You
    hear that, books and comics? NOTHING.
    Well, some people got married, had kids,
    new Jedi were trained, yada yada yada,
    but everything's pretty much hunky-dory.

We now take you to a few familiar faces
    enjoying a brunch on the patio at a favorite
    New Alderaan restaurant..."

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I definitely feel that ROTJ works as the end of galaxy-wide conflict.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe rebuilding the government didn't turn out so well? Or it's been decades of interplanetary conflict and now, in Ep. 7, the Republic is finally coming back.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Yeah, because everyone knows when you finish one world wide conflict, no way will there ever be another for hundreds of years *cough*WWI/WWII*cough*...

Just because one large scale conflict ends that doesn't mean they are over forever.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Explain the THOUSAND YEARS before the Clone Wars.

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Because the armistice that ended WW1 stopped all global conflict from ever happening again. Right? :p

Personally I think it's quite conceivable that galactic conflict would continue post-ROTJ. Even after the loss of the Emperor the Empire would still be a major military force to contend with, comprised of individuals willing to serve the ideals the Empire stands for. If anything the death of the Emperor would make the Empire even more zealous in its attempts to stomp out the rebellion.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The thousand years before the Clone Wars has nothing to do with the future... in fact, that thousand years got the Republic overly complacent and susceptible to Palpatine in the first place.

The Galaxy just finished a Galaxy wide conflict and there will be the inevitable power grabs in every corner possible just as there was after both World Wars... and Wars tend to breed more Wars. Injustices perceived from the conclusion of WWI led to Hitler coming to power and starting up WWII.

Everything going on in the Mid-east is a result of actions taken during the recovery from WWII...

The Star Wars Galaxy is not going to be immune to the same hurt feelings and power grabs that we get in real life post conflict.

Dra--- and TheManFromMortis like this.
  22. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    It may not be on a galactic scale but there will be war.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

It's going to be on a galactic scale. It's what the audience are familiar with at this point. Massive armies shooting each other, entire planets blowing up. Any smaller conflicts like, say, a film about competing crime syndicates on Tatooine are likely to be among the spin-offs.

Dra--- and Poor Greedo like this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    TPM wasn't galactic scale.

25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

The conflict itself wasn't, no. But it did have galactic consequences through the senate, thus giving a planetary conflict much more scale in the overall scheme of things.