main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Whatever alchemy achieved the success of the original cannot hope to be replicated... because it almost certainly wasn't planned. The sequel will try, and inevitably fail... destined to be a two-star, they'll wish they hadn't done it, affair.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why don't they just make a sequel to Stargate? Better yet, retcon ID4 to take place in the same universe.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because any Devlin SG movie would contradict SG-1, which is a far more popular and lucrative brand (albeit presently dormant) for MGM than the original film, and MGM isn't likely to want to risk their second biggest franchise income.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why don't they just combine Devlin's SG with SG-1?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, you mean LIKE STAR TREK!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Different takes on the franchise- Devlin wouldn't want to factor in 17 seasons of backstory. And if MGM wants to factor that in, they might as well just make an SG-1 movie, which you wouldn't want Devlin involved in anyways.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they're similar situations- TOS & TNG & JJA are still the same universe/brand, just different styles.

Devlingate is a different beast than SC-1.

Now, if MGM wanted to do a flat out reboot, I could see that. But they're not going to undo SG1 in favor of a continuation of the less successful original film.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Because in a way, the Stargate Franchise is a bit like MASH the movie, vs MASH the TV show. The TV show took the movie's concept and characters ran in a complete different direction with them. Ra is a good example, the movie never actually explains exactly what he is, only that he is some kind of very advanced alien. We see his true form only very briefly when he tries to leave the boy's body at the end of the movie, he seems to look very Asegard, which doesn't fit at all with what the series says that he is supposed to be.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the legendary marketing campaign and prime release date, I don't think you can really claim the original was an unplanned success.

Whether or not it can be replicated is a different question and depends on what they're bringing to the table.

The first one hit with a mix of disaster genre and Star Wars drought, and a dash of emerging megastar. The sequel can still bring all three (depending on casting), and while the disaster genre isn't what it was, it still manages to do pretty decently when it comes around (especially when Devlin is involved).

The real wildcard is the Star Wars factor- audiences will have been saturated with it for 17 years by time ID4 2 hits, not to mention the actual Episode 7 hitting a month and a half prior.

10. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I watched the movie on cable last night--I hadn't seen it in ages. Strange as it is to say about a movie whose premise is "Aliens come and blow **** up", I think what really makes the movie work to the extent that it does is the diverse cast of characters and the witty script. The diversity in particular is noteworthy because it doesn't feel "checklist" at all; Julius Levinson isn't just a Jewish Guy; he's genuinely conflicted about his faith and, despite his abrasive exterior, deeply cares about his son. Jasmine isn't a Dumb Stripper; she's a sweet, compassionate woman trying to raise her son. Steve isn't just a Handsome, Wisecracking Black Guy; he's a talented, very successful man whose already-glamorous job is for him (hopefully) just a stepping stone for his true ambition. (I thought the NASA-themed pictures on the inside of his locker were a nice touch). The dynamic between David and Connie is quite well-done as well. Overall, you really get a sense that these characters have real, organic relationships ("My beeper was turned on; I was just ignoring you. Hello") There's a reason this movie's infinitely more watchable than garbage like Battle: Los Angeles or The Day After Tomorrow.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I love ID4 warts and all. It's a big dumb fun summer blockbuster that also happens to be unique in its characterizations.

Saintheart likes this.
  12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    David's characterisation is also memorable, too: leaving aside the stereotypical genius hacker thing, he has this fascinating hypocrisy in his character about conservation and saving the planet whilst working for a pillar of consumerism. :D :D

And the USA is always awesome when it's run by Lone Starr.

[​IMG]

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Honest Trailers <3

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "The best extra ever!"

ROTFL!

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Not a surprise ^^^

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What has Goldblum been up to lately?

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hasn't played in a movie in over a year

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's been doing a lot of TV work- he even starred in one of the Law & Orders a couple years ago.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Did you know that ID4 was originally conceived as a sequel to Stargate?

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Lots of fond memories of this movie.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And this would be why I didn't watch that short - lived comedy where Pullman played the President there.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup. That's why I suggest they retcon it.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    "Emmerich also says that the film will sport a gay character"

Hopefully they retcon Harvey Fierstein's death.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Where did you hear that?