main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd say about 1200 mg of Thorazine :p.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Will Smith may be returning after all.

In previous interviews, filmmaker Roland Emmerich said that Smith would not be returning to the franchise due to him being too expensive and too big a star.

What a difference a Summer can make though. With both Smith and Emmerich coming off two of the biggest flops of the Summer - "After Earth" and "White House Down" respectively.

Out doing "White House Down" promotion in foreign markets, Emmerich now says Smith may be back in the mix. He tells Digital Spy:

"I sometimes say no, Will Smith will not be in it because he didn't want to do it at first. Now we have a meeting planned, we want to talk about it again. Anything can happen."

Emmerich also says that the everything with the project is still in flux right now:

"It is changing every month, because putting together a sequel of this magnitude is an enormous undertaking. I am sure we will make it, either for 2015, or 16. Right now, as it looks...Probably 16."

If it is delayed to 2016, it'd be notable for being the 20th anniversary of the original.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

Sir? Sir, that is disgusting, Sir. Jeff Goldblum is a Great American, Sir. You don't know Jeff Goldblum, Sir.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's 2013. Do we really still have to mention this like it's some kind of event?

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I can see the title now; ID4:2-20. I know the original was a massive hit, but Summer '15 is going to be a bloodbath. It might be wise to delay this until '16 regardless.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if that is partially behind the delay. Bloodbath is probably the only way to describe it.

7. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

You know how on the 20th anniversary of Halloween, they made Halloween: H20?

They could so do the same thing here.
    Independence Day: ID-4 20

Theater snack bar sales will be THROUGH THE ROOF.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Emmerich talks filming.

Filmmaker Roland Emmerich tells Empire that the date is more the studio marking territory than anything else:

"You have to set a release date otherwise another film moves into it. [But] Independence Day is my next movie, if I get the right script. I should get the script pretty soon, then I'll try to get it into good shape for one or two months, and if that happens, we'll announce it and start production."

He confirms that the next one will be the first of a two-part story that ends on a cliffhanger. However, there are no plans at present to shoot the second at the same time:

"We'll only do the first part, because we want to have the audience decide if they want to see the second, otherwise it feels arrogant. But I'm pretty confident[​IMG], with the right script..."

Also interesting to note that Terminator 5 just moved back it's release date from June 26th 2015 to July 1st 2015, which would put it head-to-head against ID4 2's July 3rd release date.

9. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

i loved id4 but i dont know i just think one was enough just the way it ended. same with avatar

also i loved the news of alan taylor ( thor the dark world and game of thrones) will be doing terminator 5 so that gives me some possitive feelings since 4 was utter crap

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Will Smith is coming back?

AW HELL YEAW

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Look at them movies trying to escape the Nerd Singularity of 2015!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Additional details about the story from that interview:

With James Vanderbilt and long-time collaborator Dean Devlin helping with that side of things and some key cast members already committed, this looks a lot like a go-project. Now might be the time to start moving valuables to an underground bunker. "The idea for it came out of 2012," Emmerich enthuses of the likely carnage, "and what you can do with technology these days." And the setting? "It's a parallel history," he explained. "Humans rebuild whatever they have - bigger, newer, shinier - and then they forget. Maybe, 20 years later, [the aliens are] never coming back..." And if they do, can we assume they'll have better virus protection? "They won't fall for that again."

Expect plenty more insight into the alien threat, and its motivation, than we got from the squidy villainy of Independence Day. "We've created a mythology around these aliens," says Emmerich, "which is really cool. You have to create a mythology because people want to see a bigger picture."

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Having re-watched ID4 recently I tend to agree with you. It just feels complete the way is. Emmerich talking about expanding on the mythology of the aliens sounds good and all, but I'm not sure how this isn't just a re-hash that sort of diminishes the first film. I mean, it's not like Will Smith's character is going to find out the main alien is his Father or something.

My bigger fear is that the tone will be different. I described ID4 as having "cheerful heroics", and not a lot of the naval-gazing that so many genre films have today. Yeah the original is a little corny, but it's also a rousing good time. I just wonder if they'll dare to keep that same tone here.

14. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

from what i hear id forever will be two parts titled id forever part one and if it succeeds then the next one same title put titled part two. it was rumored to be a trilogy but now it looks like it wont wich im fine with.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- it should have the same fun, Star Wars-like tone to it. But it's a tricky thing- Emmerich tried to keep that same tone in several of his subsequent movies, with less than successful results (Godzilla, 2012, WHD).

16. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

id4 was fine the way it is imo and it didnt need to be like star wars since well i really dont think anything nowadays can come close to that. when Emmerich makes a movie like a id4 he tends to pull a michael bay with getting a insane and i mean insane budget for the film and uses explosions in the movie. amc movie talk did a discussion about it yesterday and i suggest people subscribe to there channel

11:20 mark for id forever info

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "ID4 is fine the way it is" = "like Star Wars". Much like Stargate, SW was a big influence on ID4.

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, he's had box office hits since, but he's never quite managed to re-capture the magic of ID4. Godzilla, which is clearly using the ID4 template, is more painful to watch than your 60 year old Uncle Ned twerking at your Cousin's wedding.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Godzilla was terrible because of its terrible leads and terrible script. If it didn't have terrible leads or a terrible script, it would have been a much better movie.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Many of his films are bad for various reasons- they contribute to the tone consistent throughout his work either succeeding or not.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

You forget the tiny, squalid thing they passed as "Godzilla".

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Frankly, if the movie was about Jean Reno and his adventures, it would've been a halfway decent movie, but instead it had to revolve around Ferris Beuler doing his irritating poor man's Gene Wilder routine.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jean Reno was in an entirely different- and awesome- movie than everyone else in Godzilla.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I think Jean Reno is always in an entirely different and more awesome movie than his co-stars :p.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(1996_film)
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64358

I have been following the news of a potential sequel to this movie for quite a while.

The above movie news article states that Michael B. Jordan could be a potential star.

That's fine with me. Even if Will Smith was available, I don't believe that he should have the lead role. I believe that an ideal role, would that he would be the President of the USA this time around. He's too old to be a fighter pilot, and perhaps he could be the alternate universe version of President Obama ... the first African American President in this alternate universe. Will Smith's character would be considered a 'Hero', and could make an ideal Presidential candidate.

Bill Pullman would not be able to be the President in this film, due to the amount of time that has passed since the first film, unless in the alternate universe, they change the constitution to allow for more than 2 terms ... given the 'war' nature of the time, perhaps they did choose to have a President with more than 2 terms, ala Franklin Roosevelt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(1996_film)#Sequels

Anyone else looking forward to a sequel, or is it time to move on?