main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Mace survive after his fall?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Frankakin skywalker, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    As far as the movies are concerned, I think it's clear he's dead! However, as for the EU...I'm not into the EU but I keep reading references around the JCF to Darth Maul having somehow survived his duel with Obi-Wan in TPM :eek: , so I guess it wouldn't be beyond some EU author to "resurrect" Mace?!

Somewhere, in a parallel EU (or maybe "Robot Chicken") universe, Darth Maul, Mace Windu, and Palpy are all hanging out together, complaining about their rather inglorious demises...

kainee likes this.
  2. Sophdeon

Sophdeon Jedi Knight

Oct 25, 2010
    I completely agree. His death was significant in Anakin's fall by choosing Palpatine over the Jedi, and this mirrors Darth Vader's decision to save Luke by killing Palpatine. The only change I would want to see to this death would be Anakin being the one to push Mace Windu out the window (to be more similar to the events of Episode VI), and I don't even want that change.

However, I would not be opposed to seeing Mace Windu in recordings or via a holocron in the new movies. I would be interested in seeing vaapad live on, and for the Jedi to better connect with the order as it existed before the purge (as Luke sought to do post Episode VI).

kainee and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think Mace would have survived his fall, unless he landed on something soft and someone was able to nurse him back to health. Even if he did, I don't think he would have stayed quietly in hiding while the Sith ruled the galaxy.

Darth Maul did survive in The Clone Wars. I think TCW is classed as a higher canon then EU and isn't a part of that. What goes on in that series is what Lucas sees as having happened. So he did survive :p

Though in the matter of Mace Windu surviving, I think any story has to be passed by Lucasfilm, authors can't just decide to bring him back without it getting passed?? (I could be wrong on that...)

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Me, too, and as far as I'm concerned, though well-intentioned, even those who agree that he died, but offer things like "there's no way Mace could've survived that fall" as proof, are missing the point. To me, Mace was dead before he was ever pushed.

Jackson delivered a final groan/moan/gasp just before he is pushed, and to me, that's the sound of Windu's death rattle that we're all hearing.

[​IMG]

Without getting too graphic, it seems to me that Mace's brain was cooked, his vital organs fried, and to Sidious, the Force push out the window amounted to little more than, well... taking out the garbage.

Yeah, it's a dark, pivotal scene, from a dark SW drama. As much as anyone may enjoy the character (and as much as I generally like Samuel's work, and genuinely appreciate that he'd be interested in reprising the role), I think it's best to leave this one as is. Even if Windu did somehow survive this encounter, there's just no way I could buy that he'd ever be the same. Luke was fortunate that, until the very last moment, Sidious was torturing Skywalker, and did not ratchet-up the Force lightning to overtly lethal levels sooner (for if Palpatine had, ROTJ might have had a very different ending, indeed).

5. jnrssa

jnrssa Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2013
    never! mace windu & kit fisto survived

6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, ok, I see. I've never seen the TCW TV series or the TCW movie. Thanks for clarifying that. And yes, though I've never taken the time to get into the whole "canon" issue (since I'm only really into the six main movies anyway), from my limited knowledge I think you're right and TCW (both TV series and movie) is considered as higher canon than anything from the EU. I'll have to go on Wookiepeedia and read up about exactly how DM survived...now I'm curious!

And I also think you're right about EU authors having to get some sort of general clearance from Lucasfilm--I think I read something about some massive database (named the "Holocron" or something?) that contains the factual information that authors have to check themselves against. But obviously I'm showing my lack of familiarity with anything outside the main six movies here, so I could be wrong too...

Edit: I also like Trebor Sabreon's post above--that's a great image to illustrate the point there!

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    There's zero reason to think Windu survived. And although I never watched The Clone Wars, Maul returning from being sliced in half on Naboo is extremely stupid.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If you didn't watch it you can't say it's stupid.

hlc88 and Sophdeon like this.
  9. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Yes, I can. I just did. :)

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Resurrections just don't do it for me really. The one in The Bible seems to have taken on quite a good following though...

Sophdeon likes this.
  11. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

You shouldn't judge until you've see it, IMO.

12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I see what you're saying, but I think one can pass comment on the idea of a character being cleft in twain and then returning without actually seeing the return of that character.

13. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    I personally think Windu survived the fall and lighting. Now if it was just a typical ordinary Jedi that got force pushed out the window then they probably wouldn't have survived, but this is Mace Windu we are talking about! One of the best Jedi in the order. Luke survived the lighting in ROTJ, he also was able to move around after getting his hand wacked off my Vader. The only thing that concerns me is the fall. I just keep telling myself that he got picked up by a speeder.

If he is to survive, then I have no idea how they will play it in the new trilogy.

14. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    He was sliced in half and fell down a seemingly bottomless pit in the movie that I did see. Bringing him back from that is stupid.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bringing him back was stupid but he turned out to be the best villain in TCW

16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Your statement brought this little sequence to mind :p :

These guys all die in similar manners. Ironically, Maul, who arguably took the most lethal amount of damage (Mace getting struck by Force Lightning aside), is the only one who canonically survives the plummet.

Seagoat and Pensive Padme like this.
  17. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Is it any more far fetched than Anakin losing his legs and being burnt in Lava and still surviving?

Regarding Mace surviving, would it be possible to force push the floor and cushion/control his landing from a high level fall - if he wasn't fried to the core?

How would they explain his absence since RoTS - he took the third (unmentioned) Skywalker Triplet and went into hiding? Padme didn't really die (her funeral was yet another decoy) and she and Mace are really controlling the rebel alliance from a hiden base on Coruscant?

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Um people have survived much worse in Star Wars. And the way they did it was perfect. He didn't come back in tip-top assassin form, he really changed a lot and is practically a different character by the end of season 5.

19. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Glad you like the idea. I don't.

20. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    How does Darth Maul go to the toilet now? He doesn't even have a bladder.

21. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    1. Getting sliced in half and falling into a seemingly bottomless pit is worse than having your legs cut off and being burned up.

2. I can get on board with Windu surviving before I could Maul. Windu only lost a hand and we do know that Jedi can use the force to guide themselves in freefall, as Anakin did in AOTC. But sometimes (curiously) they don't use that power. Yoda should have in the Senate battle vs. Sidious.

22. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    It's odd how some of these powers are used sometimes and not others. I think there's a thread about it somewhere. The force sprint used by Quigon and Obiwan early in TPM is another example. Surely that would've come in handy somewhere else in the saga.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Getting burned alive is the worst way to die IMO

Plus Windu got electrocuted which probably affects the Force

24. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    I wasn't entirely clear on that point. What I meant by "worse" was survivability.

Have people survived losing limbs? Yes. Have people survived severe burns? Yes. Can I imagine someone surviving both at the same time? Yes, with some luck and prompt medical attention.

But...

Have people survived being instantly cut in half? Not that I know of. Have people survived extreme falls? Maybe under very fortunate circumstances where they fell on a soft and forgiving surface. Can I imagine someone surviving being cut in half and pushed off the Empire State Building? No one would survive that, ever.

kubricklynch likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I see ur point.