main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i took my kids to see monsters university. i thought it was ok. not great, but consistently amusing. my kids however apparently thought it was torture, because they had to spend two hours away from the ever-exciting world of warcraft.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    World of Warcraft? Kids are still getting into that?

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they've been into it for years. now they are in some super cool guilds or something. i don't know the lingo. if i try to talk to them about it they mostly just roll their eyes.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The Runaways (2010) -- Kristen Stewart rocks! Literally! In this eyebrow-raising adaptation of lead singer Cherie Currie's bio Neon Angel, Kristen as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie star in every parents' nightmare: unsupervised, underage girls getting liquored up, doing a smorgasbord of drugs, and making out with grown men (and occasionally, each other). It's terrific! Some of the film's quiet scenes are filled with tired mumbling, but by and large the performances are vibrant and dynamic. The stage performances feel accurate to the period, and the fashions and hairstyles of late-70s California are artfully realized. Kristen channels Joan Jett -- whom I have met in person, and once pinched her butt -- ably.

Also, the whole thing reminds me of my sister, who had a Runaways record even before Joan hit it big with I Love Rock-N-Roll (which was the first video I ever saw on MTV in September 1981). :cool:

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    The Lion King.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This pretty much demanded to be selectively quoted.

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm watching Blue Collar with Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel from 1978.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Runaways was a nice surprise- Stewart may be an empty vessel of acting in Snow White and, seemingly, the Twilight films, but she's actually quite good as Joan Jett.

The WWZ soda thing didn't bother me- even when the world is at stake, one has to drink something. And I'm sure weeks of water and rations would make a soda machine's contents mighty tempting.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Her heart was in it, I understand it was a labor of love for Kristen to learn to emulate Joan. And I rather thought she acquitted herself nicely in Snow White. It's a very good movie, and she's very good in it.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In Snow White she was just empty, relying on the same two expressions. That lack of emotion/pull really dragged the film down.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Kristen Stewart is terrible imo.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    tom likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You guys saw Beautiful Jesus?

That was a terrible movie. Wasn't really that Twilight girl's fault, though. It just became ridiculous how much significance they attached to physical beauty.

15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I kinda enjoyed SW&TH, but keep in mind it only had to vault over the lowest of expectations. I can't say I'll line up to buy a ticket to the sequel, but I'll Red Box it... probably [face_thinking] .

Safe (2012) - After a decade of indifference, I've started to come around on Jason Statham of late. He's like the McDonald's of actors. McDonald's makes Big Macs, each and every one identical in looks and taste to the other. Jason Statham makes Jason Statham movies, each and every... you get the idea. And also like Big Macs, some of his movies are fresher than others. Safe qualifies as one of his fresher efforts. - 6.5/10

Life likes this.
  16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Safe is one of his better ones. I don't mind him always playing more or less the same character, but I wish they gave him better scripts. The Transporter films, for instance, are so implausible, outlandish and over the top, especially the second one, it's like watching a comic-book adaptation.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Safe wasn't bad but it could have been better. It had a great concept behind the character's isolation, though.

Statham's Parker from earlier this year, however, was much, much better. It managed to be outside the mold of your typical Statham movie (some familiar strands here and there, but its much more like Payback than Safe/Transporter/War/Mechanic/etc).

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Wow, outstanding! I'd really like to see this doc. "Coconut", which is on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack, is probably Nilsson's best-known song, along with "One is the Loneliest Number" and all the songs in Popeye ("He's Large" being my personal favorite from that record/movie).

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Ides of March

Awesome movie.

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

I haven't seen The Transporter in ages, but it's what started my initial Statham indifference. I recall it got a lot of hype from both the media and my friends, but when I finally saw it I was like "Meh." . I can't even remember if I saw part 2.

That was clever, though I wish they'd been able to carry it out a bit more. In fact, that would've been a strong enough hook for an entire film.

Parker is on my Statham to-do list. I'm going to play a little catch-up first though; The Transporter series, Killer Elite. Not his entire catalog, but a few of the biggies. The Mechanic is actually the film that got me to take a second look at his stuff. I watched it a few months ago out of boredom and a lack of options and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. To date I think it's his best "Statham" movie.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    JLA: Doom (2012) -- Very, very good! Based on Mark Waid's intriguing story arc Tower of Babel, a fistful of DC badguys (Bane, Cheetah, Mirror Master, etc.) join the Legion of Doom under Vandal Savage (a nice shift away from Luthor) and try to kill the Justice League members -- using Batman's database of info on his comrades' weaknesses! Movie is well-paced, well-acted and mostly well-animated. (Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern is particularly charming and believable.)

The moment of despair, when all our heroes' backs are up against the wall, is very intense, and it does seem likely that some or all of them might actually die. The sequence in which the heroes bounce back for some righteous confrontation at the Hall of Doom is brought off with cinematic aplomb. This is second best DC animated film I've seen, after Batman:Year One.

3 1/2 stars!

22. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Stand Up Guys

I found it boring. I was really expecting more action.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Drillbit Taylor

Funny movie, Danny McBride is awesome

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Mechanic was quite good. Though I'm forever in love with the two Crank movies, particularly the second one. Just so bat**** crazy. But, not your typical "Statham" movie.

I'm also not that fond of the Transporter series. Some clever fight elements but it never clicked that well with me, though I still saw all three of them.

25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Last movie I saw was a tremendously puffy bore called Lincoln, which wasn't about Lincoln. A more appropriate title would have been The Abolition of Slavery by Constitutional Amendment. Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln reminded me of Reagan, actually: a meek, absent-minded uncle who, in the middle of heated discussions, suddenly starts smiling to himself before sharing a witty anecdote with his bemused audience. That's probably Spielberg, attempting to turn Lincoln into Jesus. Conundrums and conflicts are parried with parables, chances are taken, but there's no drama, no drive, just an off-screen crucifixion at the end. No stars.

I also hated Robert California, by the way. Is he always drunk?

Before this piece of old gum, I watched Django Unchained, which had its fun moments, though I didn't like Christopher Waltz rehashing his Hans Landa role. Twenty feathers. (That's roughly three stars, a bit more perhaps.)

Before Django Unchained, I saw Zero Dark Thirty. I think Jessica Chastain should have won an Oscar, she was exceptional in this. As for the rest of the film, I mainly remember war-ravaged streets and night goggles.

tom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.