main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney actually make a Star Wars Theme park?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by D-Ludicrous, May 8, 2013.

1. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't doubt they could...Disney is a financial titan; they're up there with Apple and Exxon for liquid cash.

3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I am originally from Florida and have been to WDW countless times. WDW (unlike DL in Anaheim) owns a lot of property and there's plenty of room for a new theme park if they wanted to built one. Will they? Kinda doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Since the Magic Kingdom opened in '71, they have built a new park approximately every 10 years until the Animal Kingdom opened about 15 years ago. That's the longest it's been between the construction of a new park. Maybe they're satisfied with what they have or just haven't come up with any new ideas. Or maybe Star Wars is that new idea.

We'll see.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think it's a possibility we will see a SW-themed land like the other "lands" of the theme parks. They could easily fill a section with SW stuff and fans would go to Disney parks just for that.

5. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    You can bet the folks at WDW will try to make a dollar off of it somehow.

:)

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love one honestly.

7. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I think there is an excellent chance for it. Look how well Universal has done with the Harry Potter themed area; heck they are expanding it this year. Star Wars is a major cashcow, and you can rest assured Disney is going to take advantage.

8. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Prior to the Lucasfilm purchase there was an agreement between Lucasfilm and Disney that no Star Wars theme park would be built in the US due to Disney having Star Tours. Now that Disney owns Star Wars, they could do whatever they want.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    If they wanted to, they can.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    This.

Its all about the want to at this point...

11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It wouldn't shock me if they did.

12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    There better be Twi'lek dancers.

13. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    mixed about it as long as it isnt OT love-fest land im fine

14. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
  15. mvk

mvk Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    Have a feeling that the Indy Jones attraction will be demolished and we'll see a new spinner (Dumbo-style) ride along with a bigger attraction take it's place. Backlot Express will be rethemed, either to Mos Eisley Cantina, or to a more general Star Wars theme restaurant. I would guess Jedi Training Academy would be moved, possibly indoors across the way at the Sounds Dangerous building, and use the technology they have in other parks (Turtle Talk with Crush, for example) for Yoda to appear on a screen training the younglings. Star Tours would remain as is, as well.

I think they could realistically do something much larger scale, but if they're going to do both CarsLand and Star Wars Land (I prefer Star Wars Galaxy, but whatever), I think it will be of a smaller scale.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Awesome news, I'll be one of the first there :D

17. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    ... and it is for precisely that reason that a completely autonomous Star Wars-based theme park is so desireable.

The technology that will bought to bear on such a project will be mind-meltingly astonishing,
    given LucasArts raison d'etre & Disney's decades-long commitment
    to pushing towards the fringes of entertainment technology.

A seperate, independant Lucasarts/Disney "Star Wars"-based theme park
    would be positively drowning in visitors 365 days of the year.
    With people actually permanently living in a on-premise "cantina"-like hotel [with a similarly themed restaurant],
    a custom-made "Star Wars"-y "credits" system of some kind as the
    only allowed currency on the grounds, etc. etc.

And no "Goofy As A Wookie", please ....

Put me in the YES column!

18. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Edit: Absolutely NO.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    ^ Look! A racist shooting star!

I usually don't see them before they fade away, mods being so quick and all...

20. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This will give me the motivation I need to go and visit Florida again :p

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It have no doubts that there will be a Star Wars themed land in the future, but I wouldn't be so quick to take that article as a real confirmation. Disney rumors can get out of hand with so many Cast Members from bus drivers to custodians thinking they know the scoop. I'm not sure where Theme Park Insider got their info, but the Carsland bit has me a bit wary, especially since I've heard previous reports saying that it will be staying a west coast exclusive because they wouldn't be able to dig into the Florida ground to build it like they did out in California (it would be WAY too expensive to do so). Until an official announcement is made, you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Maybe we'll get some news out of the D23 Expo later this summer.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    A Star Wars theme park will never happen. :cool:

An area in an existing theme park, sure. Isn't it a little overboard to call that area of Universal a Harry Potter theme park?

That being said. It looks like the Star Wars area of Disney is going to move forward. :D

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, "Star Wars Land inside of Disney's Hollywood Studios" is the accurate way to describe it. But it sounds awesome, and I will definitely be there with my family multiple times. :cool:

24. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Not certain if you meant my post, if not disregard with my apologies. But just in case, I never called it a park, I specifically called it a themed area. :D

25. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    No, I didn't mean your post. Most people are just generally referring to it that way.:)