main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    PT style, but even better, so something more along the lines of The Clone Wars and The Old Republic.

If there was something like the Darth Sidious vs. Darth Maul and Savage Opress duel in The Clone Wars episode, The Lawless, I would be amazed. Because if it looks amazing animated, imagine how amazing it would look if it wasn't animated.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded. That is one impressive lightsaber duel.

VMeran and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Thirded.

Whoever devised the many and increasingly complex and breathtaking duels in TCW them should be consulted for the new films. They had great imagination that could be utilised by the marshall art experts and choreographers.

Also what would be good would be some distinctive fighting moves (like Anakin's trick he used to cut off Dooku's hands then tried again against Obi Wan but failed).

VMeran, eht13 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Fourth!

One my favorite moments from TCW

VMeran and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Definitely more like the animated series and TOR trailers, what both eras were lacking were interesting forces of the force in a duel.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Ugh... All that does is remind me how much contempt I have for TCW in general and mindless hyperchoreographed lightsaber fights. Give me Hound vs The Mountain from Game of Thrones instead of this fecal matter.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's a damn fine duel.
    Love the moment when Sidious turns around mid-air and just pulls 'em down with him. Great stuff.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are there any other TCW lightsaber duels that have earned a lot of respect?

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    There are other great ones, too, but I don't recall specific examples offhand. This one may have been the best though, even if just to see Palpatine laughing while treating Maul and Savage like a pair of ragdolls.

11. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    I personally would say (1) Obi Wan vs Maul and Savage and (2) Maul vs Pre-Vizla.

Others know more about TCW than me.

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A lightsaber and a lightshield!
    Bring on the Sith Legionnaire!

13. Jinnsfirstpadawan

Jinnsfirstpadawan Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2013
    Exactly! I want more character development, JJ and crew! As my dad said when we left AOTC, give me more plot, less special effects...

Sarge likes this.
  14. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Mixture... Old characters should fight OT style and strong in the Force young characters should be like Obi vs Maul in TPM.

15. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    There will be no duels because the Sith were destroyed in Return of the Jedi.

Just joking.

Now that the prequels exist (unfortunately for many), of course the duels are going to be more dinamic and havily choreographed. This doesn't mean they are going to be as dumb as the Anakin / Obi Wan or the one with Grevious (Dear lord . . .). Lucas was so brilliant that he went dumb the other way around in Epidode 1 when he had the 2 jedi fighting a tatooed freak no one cares about who had almost no lines or agenda besides revealing himself to the jedi and having revenge.

When you have your main characters jumping around, 2 inches from lava, destroying everything around them, humping on cgi dinosaurs, the action becomes dumb and you get bored. There's nothing at stake so the conflict gets instantly eliminated.

As you can tell I'm a Original Trilogy freak, but hey, I also understand that those old duels feel like watching Luke's landspeeder approaching Mos Eisley, they a re a TAD dated.

I'm confident Abrams will manage something engaging, making you care for the character and not making them do impossible things. Movie jedi shouldn't feel like videogame jedi.

Sarge likes this.
  16. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    Agree but also why not be greedy - more special effects and more plot!

17. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I'd say that in terms of style, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Maul is the best. Generally, it's filmed far enough away so you can actually see what's going on (having a martial artist rather than a geriatric as the villain helped), and there's just enough flippy-do flair to generate visual interest, but it still tells a story. The initial post-Qui-Gon death rush by Obi-Wan is one of my favorite sequences of the entire series, and it's by far the best of the PT.

In terms of actual story telling, the classic Luke vs. Vader from ESB is far and away the best. The silhouettes, the blue vs. red, Vader holding off Luke's frightened and weak offense with one hand, Vader toying with him with the telekinetics, Luke scoring a hit on the ledge/bridge thing. It's just magnificently done.

So, combine that with a touch of the impressive acrobatics and speed of the Maul fight, film it far enough away from the side, without jarring cuts, so we can see what's going on, and I'll be happy.

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, the Maul vs. Vizsla duel was definitely one of the best in the series, because it was so awesome seeing a non-force sensitive managing to almost beat a Sith Lord. I'd really like to see a bounty hunter have a battle like that in the ST, but maybe with a Jedi instead, like the Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos vs. Cad Bane duel, which was another awesome duel from TCW.

19. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought that EP IV had slower lightsaber fights because Obi Wan was old and Vader was limited. Vader was still limited in ESB and ROTJ. Luke was trained by Yoda but he wasn't trained in a temple doing lightsabers all day, so Luke was limited too making ESB and ROTJ slower as well. If there are young people in EP VII that are properly trained then why not faster PT style? It's like learning another language, you aren't good at it unless you train day in and day out and practice.

20. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Lightsaber battles should look like this...

(Warning: Language...)

(...like seriously, language warning...)

21. Darth Fright

Darth Fright Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2013
    I'd love a combination of the two style of fighting.

22. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    ok really? i mean really? can anyone who cares for star wars truthfully say he would prefer the swordfights like in the old movies (OT)??

i mean sorry but this swordfighting in the PT is the ONLY reason anyone can enjoy those movies. Ofc the effects are better and some alien is more vivid done in 3D then with a mask/puppet but the rest....
    well i dont want to get a discussion going about OT vs PT but matter of fact is, that the fights in E4 sucked. Old men, doing old stunts....MAN THESE ARE JEDI AND SITH! Normally they jump around, augment their speed and do incredible stunts and everything. In every book i read they mostly "feel" the movement of their enemy like Obi vs Ani in E3...its just all so fast, a normal beeing cant even follow.....in E4-6 its like he swings left, he swings right...wow....thats not awesome. Y ofc to see a lightsaber is awesome and the OT will forever be awesome, too. But the fights have to be like E1-3. and someone above me said : "not like a dance" but it is exactly that....sooften i see those fights described in the books as "light dance, seem to be in trance, to fast to see, a swirl of light" those descriptions would describe PT..and the one and only thing i had nothing bad to say about was those lightsaber fights E1-3...heck, they are the only reason i watch those movies over and over in the first place.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There was no "normally Jedi and Sith do this and that" back in 1977! There was no mention about the force augmenting reflexes, muscle tone, speed and so on.

24. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    y you are right...and cause i know how it tricky it is to mask a good saber..i only can imagin how tricky it must have been 1977 and without much money..so i bet lucas sat there and said: what the effects are that expensive?!...nono, let them stand around a bit more, then it will be cheaper to do!" ^^
    joke

but now in 2013 i think it should be clear that those fighting standards could never be set down after seeing E1-3 you know?
    and truthfully even without the whole expandet universe and the 8? lightsaberforms and stuff i would have prefered some younger ones to do fights like in E1. the endfight vs maul was very nice. good speed but not this totally syncronic fighting Ani and Obi showed in E3 (ofc they trained yoears together, it had to look like this)

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Couldn't have said it better myself KevinM1

Although i also love the emotion fuelled duel from RotJ :)

Character driven duels in a slightly toned down PT style? How does that sound?

rincewind86 likes this.