main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I think I was just hungry when I wrote that. I could sure go for a danish right about now.

themetresgained likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    CooperTFN

While this isn't Star Wars related, the following quote from ST: Enterprise - Rise of the Federation - A Choice of Futures, which came out this week, cause my eye for diversity reasons. Especially alien diversity and the notion that alien species aren't simply monolithic walking stereotypes. The following quote take place between T'Pol, a Vulcan, and her first officer, an Andorian named Thanien:

"Neither of us is defined by a single trait such as logic or emotion. We are not racial stereotypes but fully realized individuals with many facets. What I need from you as my first officer is to be engaged with every facet of your own being- emotion, reason, discipline, intuition, all of it - just as I endeavor to be with mine. I need both of us to understand each other as individuals with all those traits."

The book, set during the early Federation, really does open up some very interesting ideas about human & alien societies trying to come together in a united form. Many of the alien in the book, including at least one major character of the Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellarite species, is shown to be complex and not a simple stereotype. Dittos for the human characters, who are learning that they are not the only ones who feel the way they do about the galaxy. Human diversity was rather good too, as we got a mix of male& females, black, white, Asian, Indian, and others. As I was reading this book, I was struck that I wish we saw more of this in current EU works. I don't read a lot of ST books, so I am not sure if all of them score well on the diversity scale, but this book caught my eye for multiple reasons.

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You lost me at "Star Trek". :p

But no, it's good to hear someone's doing that kind of thing--ironically, I can see how it might be easier in ST when you can actually say things like "so-and-so grew up in Tehran and remembered hearing stories of anti-Middle Eastern prejudice."

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I wonder if Bruce Lee played obi-wan as her was rumored to be slated to who would have played him in the prequels I wonder?

would there be more asians? would would he like Lando(As family guy put it) perhaps the only asian in the galaxy.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

I should watch more Star Trek.

Wait. Am I undermining the thread?

I'm undermining the thread. I'll go now.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Per Stephen Colbert: actual news on Disney's diversity track record.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd wait and see if it's done well before getting too excited.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    “Homosexuality is reality but so are cigarettes, alcohol and war.”

Urge to kill rising uncontrollably.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

Yes....yess I feel your hatred, I gives you focus! Makes you STRONGER!

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They added Seven of Nine to Voyager hoping for fanservice and got one of the three best actors and characters on the show. They tried it again and ended up with just fanservice.

Enterprise the show was bad. The Reboot books are much better. Though Enterprise is a lot of fun to watch after seeing the character interpretations from SFDebris

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Are there reboot books? That might be an easy entry point for me; I've wanted to give a Star Trek book a shot for awhile now. Or I could just try the Peter David stuff.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Honestly, after a week like this, when I hear someone say something like that, I just feel bad for them.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks to Miana Kenobi in Community for pointing this out. Bryan Konietzko, co-creator of Avatar the Last Airbender and it's sequel series Legend of Korra, had some choice words regarding complaints about skin color differences between parents and their kids, and talked about diversity in his shows in general. Humorously enough, he briefly mentioned his opinion on M. Night's movie and the casting issues surrounding that.

It's good to see some creators are fully cognizant of these issues. Avatar has always been pretty good and consistent with its diversity.

Contessa, Mia Mesharad and Gorefiend like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's an awesome piece even just from an animation geek's perspective.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Sacrilege!!

...I imagine.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

She was already playable in Smash Brothers, so why not in her own game? :)

19. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Slinging around magic and bringing in unique gameplay elements? Naaaah, just give me the bow and hookshot for the five millionth time.

Zelda is kind of interesting in this regard since Link isn't exactly a masculine archetype character who would be emasculated by a girl's cooties. Zelda already has far more personality than him by virtue of occasionally saying dialogue.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I never played them when I was a kid, so there was a considerable period of time wherein I thought he was Zelda.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    o_O

Actually so did I until I was 10 [face_shhh]

22. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Many people did.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005