main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if the "big assumptions" are wrong, and the Empire is still in control?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    actually i just read the link & i was about to thank u for the knowledge u imparted,but acting so childish makes me not want to do that.
    although i still thank u,today i learned couple of things too.
    dont pick fights over such things with ppl...have i killed anyone u love??? whats all the hostility? cool down.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm not angry. I just felt that it needed to be pointed out that you were attempting to argue with NASA. It seemed relevant.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  3. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    ok then ,thanks again for the knowledge,shake hands?

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Agreed :D

Darth Loocas and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    great! *shaking*;) nice to've met u btw.

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Likewise

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Boss Nass: Peeeaaacceee!

8. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    lol,good one!
    mesa like-a dis!

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yousa no thinking yousa greater than the other members...?

Sean Sinclair and darklordoftech like this.
  10. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012

This is what I am expecting.... Something along these lines.... Good post

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    WHAT!?! [face_monkey]

12. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    That's just... Creepy.:p

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just giving the first example that came to mind of how it could work with the Empire still being in control with no rebel alliance :p

This thread is about challenging the big assumptions we have about the ST

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    My reaction was based on the fact that your idea, although interesting in a way, is way to disconnected from the saga that it couldn't possibly be the type of thing the ST will come to be. IMO at least.

As I said earlier, some of the these big assumptions are the fabric of Star Wars. If they are not there, it wont be Star Wars in a sense. If thats the case, the ST will fail. You can challenge some of them to a degree, but generally speaking, I think certain things will remain intact.

That being said, The Empire having a role in the ST would be an instance of challanging that assumption and having it work. The Empire is a huge part of Star Wars. The OT it provided all the action, and the entire PT addressed its origins. I dont see an ST without The Empire, or least what was once The Empire. Just as the "good guy" Rebublic became the "Bad Guy" Empire by Ep III, we will at least see a retooling of that organization, or the struggles within it, as the political portion of the Star Wars model in the ST. There would be no reason for a Rebele Alliance in this case, but perhaps an "Imperial Purist" faction.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really like what the Empire became in the EU, in fact I think the Empire's evolution is its greatest strength. So I'd love to see the Imperial Remnant in the ST, maybe ally with Republic, and it would be super-cool to see the Fel dynasty and the Imperial Knights (though I really doubt that one, unfortunately).

I'm not predicting the Empire will still be in control in the ST, but it is a small possibility, so I just wanted to highlight and challenge our assumptions with this thread. Get us thinking out of the box.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The ROTJ novelization gives an explanation for the Empire dying with Palpatine: The Empire is completely incompetant and its ships don't work without Palpatine's powers.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And the ANH novel says Vader killed Luke's father, and that the Emperor was just an ignorant puppet controlled by the special interests.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Seriously? With the defectors who joined the Rebellion, how did that info not get passed along? The space battle over Endor was an inexcusable waste of lives and resources... simply dropping Plapy down the shaft is what made the Death Star explode. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    EU aside, for all we know that info did get passed along.

Vader killing Luke's father is also in the ANH movie and Palpatine being a puppet I believe was an attempt to justify his absence from the movie.

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think the point is that the novelizations don't always reflect the later state of things... ROTJ's novelization says, clearly, that Owen Lars is OBI-WAN'S brother, not Anakin's stepbrother.

As for Vader killing Luke's father, well...back in '76, that's how the story went. Vader & Luke's father were two separate people, no "certain point of view" required. And also in '76, the Emperor was just a puppet, a politician who made certain alliances in order to secure power, but those allies wound up holding all the power. Guys like Tarkin.

Things changed after the movie became a hit, of course...

21. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    If we're going to use history then...we should look to the nearest precursor shouldn't we? For all the power the Third Reich held in occupied land they did not control the world. Nor did the Roman Empire but they are probably a better exemplar of what the Empire were - and they were defeated by rebel incurions into their territory. The fall of the Roman Empire did not result in a widespread joint administration...what reason is there to believe that the galaxy would do likewise? Some of the leaders of the rebellion (Mon Mothma, for example) might desire some return to the grand old Republic but others may - as has been pointed out - see that as having been flawed and not be particularly interested.

The most likely scenario would be that various planetary (and sub-planetary) leaders would ensconce their own power (some possibly claiming to have the authority of the Empire) and that a period of 'nations' (systems, planets etc) would come into being as independent structures - in much the same way as we now have out sovereign states.

Is that too complex a situation for Star Wars movies?

Sean Sinclair and darklordoftech like this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    New Republic politics will definately be interesting. What will each of the Rebel leaders want? What will each of the planets want? Will everyone want a galactic government?

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So if we see Palp's son will he be called Darth Kidious?

Leia: Aren't you a little short for a sith lord?
    Kidious: I'm a person and my name is Kidious!

24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Messa likin dis!

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes! I want to see that storyline played out. A very interesting alternative beginning. The early stuff.