main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Crusader Kings II/III

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I kind of hate that the "gave me a county/duchy/kingdom" modifier ever wears off.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I wish it was inheritable. Where's the "raised my forefathers from dirt to kings" modifier?

Gorefiend and Ulicus like this.
  3. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, that'd be sweet. Even if it was just a small modifer, like +10 or something.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    There really should be positive modifiers for just about any definable family relation beyond "kinsman," as well.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So yesterday I inherited the ERE without meaning to -- pressed my wife's claim, won, and my kid got the ERE. But as I was playing Wales, I didn't want it, so I reloaded the save. I know I'm nuts, but I play the ERE all the time -- I don't want a Welsh eRE!

Now I've gotten weirdly lucky again. I assassinated the norse king of Scotland, pressed my weak claim on him, crushed him b/c he can't call Norse non-allies just for a claim war, and now suddenly I have... Scotland, England, and most of Ireland without working too hard because I won in a 4 month war. What?? I guess I'll form Britannia now, once I get the money... just had to fight off a claim war by the norse Vassals, and I used the chance to seat the Scottish royal family back in Scone because I'm nice like that. Once I get the empire, I'll let them have the kingship again.

I'm slightly hesitant about going to emperor status instead of keeping myself a multiple king because the Celtic emperor hats kinda suck. :( But I feel I should accept my insane good luck and reap the rewards since CK2 is almost never so forgiving.

dude, no. Rookie move. gotta go to interface\portrait_sprites.gfx and rename the entry for the celtic eyes dds there, and then change the number of frames to match the western set. That should work -- that doesn't, then also go to portraits.gfx and change the individual bits there too to match the western set. :p

What you did would work for hats, but not for physical attributes (and really my method is preferable there too) because the different .dds strips have different numbers of images, so they're not going to line up unless you tell the game how many images there are. You've probably seen in the ruler creator how different cultures have different numbers of eyes, noses, beards, etc.

6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Right. Okay. I did have a go at editing the portraits.gfx file before, but didn't edit the number of frames.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, so now I get to ask you a question. What should I call a Welsh e_britannia? I'm using Cymru for k_wales right now.

edit: Nevermind, it's Prydain, isn't it?

8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm usually happy just calling it Britannia, since I view the Welsh as the heirs to the Romano-Britons.

But, yeah, Prydain covers it too. Though that's modern Welsh. It'd have been Prydein, back in the day. If you care about that kind of thing.

LATE EDIT:

Oh, and GrandAdmiralJello, thanks for the help with the portrait frames and stuff. I have now gone from horrors like THIS:
    [​IMG]

To THIS:
    [​IMG]
    Rhodri looks far more regal, now. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm actually yeah, I do care about it :p How would I say "British", "Emperor," and "Empress" in proper medieval Welsh, then?

And I view them as the heirs to the Romano-British too, which is why I'm playing as them, but I figure Welsh fits better with their naming scheme than Latin.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_dunno]

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh fine, I'll have to cast "summon Becca" then :p

Trimaj likes this.
  12. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    Im a big fan of CKII, and all Paradox games for that matter.

I have a good solid 500 hours into CKII and a great number of mods.

Mostly The Prince and the Thane and the excellent Game of Thrones mod.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Been a while since I played, but I had some good times with CKII. :) One memorable game:

My dynasty had started off in Ireland, and by this time had occupied all of Ireland and were starting to expand into Wales. Things were going pretty sweet.

Then my brother revolted, and with him practically all of Ireland. Despite my best efforts it was hopeless and I lost the crown to him (thankfully retained all my dukedoms though) and was imprisoned. Crap.

Then my heir suddenly died, leaving only 2 children (son and daughter). Oh dear. :(

Then my main character died, leaving me playing my 5 year old grandson. Oh well at least I'm no longer in prison right?

Then he died. [face_dunno]Only have his sister (4 years old) left and my dynasty hanging by a thread. Not looking good at all.

The following 90 years then happened:
    * Girl successfully reached adulthood.
    * Had managed to get herself betrothed to the usurper's grandson (ie. her cousin). For kicks I made it a matrilineal marriage even though we were of the same house :p - they accepted anyway.
    * No sooner had the girl married then she promptly pressed a revolt against her father-in-law (original usurper had died by that point with his son - ie. her father-in-law - now the king) on her husband's 'behalf'. Won pretty handily.
    * Had a son.
    * Husband then suddenly died of a 'mysterious illness' ;), leaving her regent over her baby boy.
    * She proceeded to live on into her 90s, in which time she kicked butt in Wales, England and Scotland and had almost united the entire British Isles (with help from her now-king son, who was happy to keep assisting his mother in pressing de jure claims everywhere)..

I nicknamed her the 'Iron Lady'. She was awesome. :)

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I seem to be getting super lucky with Wales. :p

I had all of Britannia by like 916 or so. So, feeling guilty about Uli who said that 1066 was much harder, I did a 1066 start. The first thing my chancellor did was forge the duchy below me, so I had k_wales in like... 2 years. :p Then England had a bunch of civil wars, so I took d_cornwall in two quick wars while nobody was looking. William the Conqueror was overthrown by the House of Wessex, lol. Then I went across to Ireland and gobbled it up bit by bit. oh yes, and my super chancellor got me claims really quickly and a combination of that and duchy claims gave me k_ireland in about 20 years. Now, in 1096, I've inherited Scotland from my dead spouse and combined it with Wales and Ireland from my dead ruler (only had one kid and was able to switch to primo anyway).

So 1096, I have Wales, Scotland, and Ireland wholly mine -- and this is PB, not even the easy vanilla stuff. :p

Also, Ulicus , found a mod that adds cultural names to ALL of the isles. So everything is unpronounceable Welsh now, and England is currently unpronounceable Anglo-Saxon. YAY!!!

If you want the PB compatible version I kledged together, let me know, and I'll send you my e_britannia.txt . Guy also has a bunch of Greek names for all of Italia, plus the Middle East, but I don't want to go through all that effort yet. I'm sure I'll replay the ERE eventually, even as hideous as the Med portraits truly are.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Your tagging me didn't work for some reason. Curious.

Anyway, THIS IS CRAZY, YO. (via the forums)

[​IMG]

MrZAP and Gorefiend like this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh. Admittedly this is CKI, but:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He started as a one-tile island nation.

Edit: Although admittedly it's a little odd to see the AI blob in that manner.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    :oops: Well, this'll teach me to have my character lead troops into battle before he has kids:

[​IMG]
    So ends the game that began with the man known to history as "Llywelyn the Last", and to this reality as "Llywelyn the Holy". Though the Mab Darogan did not emerge to drive out the accursed English (well, he did, but I hated the post-invasion game so much that it prompted my sole reload), the Celtic peoples were united beneath a single banner, and while a german dynasty has now taken power over their ancestral homeland, cadet branches of House Aberffraw still reign in the kingdoms of Andalusia, Aragon and Hungary.

But, yeah, the late (1240-something) start was way more fun than I had anticipated. Pity I didn't get to the end date, though. I really... hadn't expected to die just then. :p

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Huh, I'd forgotten there was such a thing as a late game where the western countries were viable. I always forget to turn Sunset Invasion off. :p

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ha! I only turn it on if I'm playing a Norse 867 start... because Aztecs vs Vikings is awesome.

[​IMG]
    Gotta love stuff like that.

MrZAP and RC-1991 like this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    THERE CAN BE ONLY NONE!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Best feast ever.

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    anyone ever try playing as the isle of mann?

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I tried, but the Scots just crushed me within a few months of starting.

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    huh. i've only tried playing as them (haven't played much admittedly, so new to the game) but i was pretty much unscathed for about a year. was the earliest starting option pre-older starting date. i haven't really had the time to get into this game, sadly. hopefully sometime in the near future.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Point Given and Trimaj like this.
  25. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, and just when most of the mods had been updated.