main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Heroine of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Here's some things which we know:
    • Star Wars has already established a tradition for strong secondary female characters such as Leia, Padme, and Ahsoka.
    • The recently leaked cast listing confirms two young female characters; the placement of one of these characters as the first item on the list suggests she may be the central character.
    • The mythic-literary continuum had been largely male-dominated for millennia, yet we are in the middle of a slow-but-sure reformation in the way women are portrayed in fiction.
    • Star Wars is a consistently progressive and innovative franchise; George Lucas is enamored by the progression of female portrayals, and in an early draft of the original film, the character role of Luke Skywalker was female.
    • In previous central figures of Luke and Anakin, we have already seen two flavors of male experiences played out.
    • One logical conclusion resulting from the ending of Return of the Jedi is that Leia and Han may have children, including the possibility of a daughter.
    • Every other discussion about this topic has been misguided or somehow wound up closed, and yet it's an important topic to re-engage in earnest.

And this part's just my speculation:

The daughter of Skywalker and Solo, rebellious and wisecracking, a talented pilot and mechanic, uncle's lightsaber in one hand, father's blaster in the other, heiress to Chewbacca's life-debt, who will at some point appear in a skimpy outfit while performing heroic actions.

Now it's your turn.

*No EU was considered in the creation of this thread.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I know it's almost impossible, but I would hope they avoid the skimpy outfit. It's just cheap and I would rather hope that the female hero stays above that.
    If people want to see other people naked, well...in this day and age, there are other ways of doing that instead of shoehorning it into movies.

Other than that, all for a strong female hero.

3. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    She was picked up under unknown circumstances by Master Skywalker at the age of 14- much later than many of the other Jedi trainees. But Luke saw something in her that nobody else did, and over the course of the four years leading up to the film she has formed a very close, daughter-like bond with him, and also become one of the top students in the academy. Due to rumors of favoritism, she has become a social outcast amongst the other Jedi padawaans. As a result of years of bullying, she has developed an instinctive sharp wit and a short temper.

As for the other girl? A fun possibility would be Han Solo's daughter, a free spirit who, despite not being a force sensitive, hangs around the Jedi temple just because she can, and befriends girl #1, leading her into all kinds of trouble...

Darth Claire and Episode Swag like this.
  4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    /\[@Hellhammer]
    well said on that. personally I only included the skimpy outfit because of it's practical inevitability... and ok I admit it, my primordial desire to be sexually attracted to the lead character of a star wars movie. I hope that doesn't sound too wierd...

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good luck. I agree with you on the skimpy outfits, but that is what seems to sell.
    More than half of the cosplay costumes at cons are skimpy sluttish costumes.
    They're just giving the fans what they want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    etc.

6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want her to be a total bad ass who doesn't need to wear skimpy outfits to get the male audience attention nor have an annoying love triangle to get the teenage female crowd. I got LOADS of ideas for the female lead and they better not mess her up cause I gots expectations for her. We need another strong female role model and dammit this is the perfect chance to get one!

7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I just hope it's tasteful, because I'm taking my 6 year old son, if it's advisable.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What I dream about is this:
    I want her to use armor and lots of gadgets and use the force like a tool while her brother wears typical Jedi bathrobes and is a cerebral type who has his head in the clouds. I think this would be interesting because there would be conflict about how to use the force, whether the pragmatic or the religious approach is better suited.

But in any case what I don't want to see is the typical waif-fu heroine who defeats opponents twice her size with her chopstick arms. No matter who they cast they should have her go to the gym because the typical hollywood heroine doesn't have enough abs to feel convincing to me. Doesn't have to look like this but sure wouldn't hurt:

[​IMG]

kataja, Dra---, Eeth-my-Koth and 3 others like this.
  9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be awesome to see a badass female trooper-type character, armor and all.

10. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Good call! I think the points made so far would be great in an SW movie.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Preach it girl. =D=

As others have said, I like the OP's ideas other than the skimpy outfit. I would like for the female heroine to be noticed by the male members of the audience for reasons other than the erections they get when she appears on screen.

And definitely no love triangle. That's the only area where Lucas went wrong with Leia in ANH.

12. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Now this is a girl ! she kicks ass, is hot and fight until the end like a real soldier and then she blows the place up killing her self and the enemy <3 baby
    btw Aliens one of the best action movies ever.Now James Cameron only make drama crap.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    well it seems there will be 2 female leads and 2 male leads. There probably will be romance, but no triangles. As long as it's not the focus, but more on the characters development. If the characters are jedi, and meant to be strong, doesn't mean they have to be jacked tho, since the force only truly requires strength of the mind and the control of the environment around you. As far as skimpy outfits, as long as its practical and not just clothes getting ripped off or a slave bikini I think it should be fine. A woman can be attractive, strong and confident. As long as they don't overplay the I am woman hear me roar crap but instead just given the mutual respect as all humans deserve.

But who knows right now either way, as long as whatever they do is done well I'm ok with it.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Women can be attractive without skimpy clothing. There are a lot of calls for characters to be "fit" so I am assuming they are looking for attractive characters.

I'd say Leia's jumpsuits were attractive but it's the gold bikini that gets the most attention for obvious reasons.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Have you seen the TESB training montage? Yes, being jacked up is a requirement. Mind is important but a stronger body is important too.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say we get them all on that 300 training regiment *or whatever the heck Snyder uses for all his movies* That'll get them jacked...to unhuman levels but still....we'd have glorious abs to admire. Then throw in some sword fighting training and maybe some hand-to-hand and our actors will be set. ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    not really, he packed on 10 - 15 lbs, which really isn't that much in the end. Not Jacked up, physically fit. it's not like he was at the point of his muscles ripping through his shirt. Besides he was training to take on Vader, it's not like Obi Wan or Anakin pre ROTS were that physically built. Fit yes, not jacked.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He wasn't over the top, but he clearly packed some muscles.

[​IMG]

I am just saying I don't want someone like Summer Glau to play the heroine, not unless she hits the gym very often.

This is absolutely absurd:

[​IMG]

I liked Firefly but River really got on my nerves.

kataja likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    From what I gather, the Jedi use the Force in more subtle ways than pushing people around, choking them and blasting them with lightning. They also use it to augment their physical performance, while not necessarily being visually and physically impressive.
    Yoda did speak that it was not just about "this crude matter" :p

20. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    So somebody who actually eats more than one grape a day. Fair enough

kataja and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Honestly, this is the main reason I don't want a female lead.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    See, I don't mind a female lead but it has me worried. It totally wouldn't fit Star Wars but with J.J. Abrams in charge I totally would not be shocked to see her in a blatant clothes-changing scene where she flat-out strips off her shirt. Given what we saw in Star Trek and Into Darkness, not to mention Mission: Impossible 3, that would actually be toned-down for him. We don't need that in Star Wars; it doesn't fit.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If you watch any movie written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman you will notice they always put in a scene or two with a woman in skimpy clothes. Thankfully we have a much better writer handling the script for Episode VII so I don't see a problem there.

Star Wars has a strong female character in secondary roles in both trilogies and I'm all for this trilogy taking the next step and giving us a strong female in a leading role. I say bring it on!

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Kirk was also seen in shorts.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

There is no reason why we can't have a female lead that doesn't wear a tube top or a top with a boob hole.

"This is what has been done in the past in so many movies" is absolutely no reason why it has to happen this time.

And if these are the only two options, I'd rather have a female lead that dresses like Aayla Secura than no female lead at all.