main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Funniest Moment in the Saga...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by d_arblay, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    For me, much of the humor in the original trilogy played looser and more spontaneous, which I think appropriate in that our heroes together were more of a ragtag motley crew. In the prequels it’s not so much the point weather the jokes were "gut funny" in the same sense, but that they added just the right tone of joviality best suited for the more high-end, cosmopolitan settings, political formals and Jedi stoicism. There’s also a bigger contrast between the stuffy mannerisms of aristocrats and Jedi versus the blatant buffoonery of droids, Gungans and a happy-go-lucky little kid that really emphasizes the absurdist, borderline satirical, aspect of the whole enterprise.

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The deathsticks scene is very funny. Ewan McGregor has great delivery. It could be a segment on "Robot Chicken," but it still doesn't seem silly or dilute the stakes of the scene. I'm not a great fan of ATOC, but that was a very good moment. I also like someone of comic relief by C-3PO and R2 at the end of ATOC, especially "machines making machines, how perverse," and 3PO's confusion when he's on the top of the battle droid's body.

I may not like Jar Jar (though he's sort of grown on me like that spastic clueless kid at school who just wants everyone to like him), but there are a few Jar Jar moments I like:
    --When he gets his tongue stuck in the pod-racer, and C-3PO says something like "What an odd creature."
    --When Qui-Gon catches his tongue in annoyance at Shmi's dinner table
    --I like it when he gets the arm of the droid that has the blaster in its hand stuck to his leg, and he jumps around shooting things, and then looks really proud afterwards.
    --I like one time when he totally goes bezerk so much that you can hardly tell what he's saying. I think it's on Naboo.

Yoda nonchalantly knocking the red-guards back and R2 spraying the oil and then setting it on fire with his jets in ROTS.

I always enjoy it when R2 and 3PO bicker, and ANH has more of that than any other.
    I also like it when 3PO thinks they've died in the garbage smasher. "Curse my metal body! I was too late!"

Yoda acting addled in TESB and quibbling with R2.

I like Jabba's enjoyment at the problems he causes in ROTJ and also when Jabba laughs and Salacious Crumb joins in.

I like the dialogue before the sail barge. Han: "I'm gone for a little while and everyone starts getting delusions of grandeur."
    And this too:
    "How we doing?"
    "Same as always."
    "That bad."

And after Luke levitates 3PO's chair, 3PO says: "I didn't know I had it in me."

And I think it's really sweet/funny when 3PO tells the Ewoks the story of our heroes in the Ewok language and the Ewoks listen in rapt attention. The Ewoks are kind of child-like, and their fixed attention reminds me how I used to watch the movies when I was kid.

3. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Here's one I think gets forgotten:

"When my new apprentice, Darth Vader, arrives, he will take care of you."

McDiarmid's delivery is brilliant here. A little nod to Pulp Fiction, perhaps. I find it quite amusing each and every time. I assume it was intended to be funny but you can't be too certain, I guess...

On the flip side, one moment that I think was meant to be funny but completely missed the mark was Wat Tambor's stuttering line "The techno union army is at your disposal, Count". My single least favourite moment in the saga. It was just so out of place at that moment. I genuinely have no idea what Lucas was thinking here.

minnishe, mes520 and darth ladnar like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In TPM C-3PO says "You'll never get me in one of those dreadful starships
    Can't remember what he said in AOTC
    In ROTS he says "I think I'm starting to get the hang of this flying business"
    In ANH he says I've forgotten how much I hate space travel.
    Love the progression and then he was memory wiped and forgot it in ANH.

kainee likes this.
  5. Sophdeon

Sophdeon Jedi Knight

Oct 25, 2010
    Along with several other people, I loved seeing Yoda act (?) senile in Episode V. Other than that, I always get a laugh out of C-3PO in Episode II as a battle droid attacking Jedi while apologizing.

One of my all time favorite moments is "landing" Grievous's ship in Episode III. Not only does the scene have epic music, but there is some funny dialogue.
    Anakin: "We lost something"
    Obi-Wan: "Not to worry; we are still flying half a ship."

Luke Skyquacker, kainee and minnishe like this.
  6. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." That is both funny, and extremely bad-ass at the same time. One of my favorite lines in ESB. Right up there with "I know."

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When Han and the rest escape from the Death Star and the Tie Fighters are attacking and Leia says in the comm "We've lost the lateral controls and Han says "Don't worry, she'll hold together.... You hear me baby, hold together."

Carbon1985 likes this.
  8. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Luke: So... what do you think of her, Han?
    Han: I'm trying not to, kid.
    Luke: Good.
    Han: (sees into Luke's head) Still... she's got a lot of spirit...
    (Luke feels challenged)
    Han: I don't know, what do you think? Do you think a princess and a guy like me...
    Luke: NO.
    (Han turns away with a cocky, amused smile)

9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I always loved the look Han gave C3PO in ANH when they are all walking to the Falcon on Docking Bay 94. C3PO says, "Well...hello sir!" And Han just rolls his eyes and walks away! Classic Han!

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Qui-Gon Jinn (waves hand): "But credits will do fine."
    Watto: "No, they won't."
    Qui-Gon Jinn (waves hand again): "Credits will do fine.
    Watto: "No, they won't! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that?"

12. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    another one is the classic shot of C3P0 kicking R2 in ANH.

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Ep I, Qui-Gon's interactions with Jar Jar; He's kind of a jerk to him the whole time; "Are you brainless?" "Just relax." "Don't. Touch. Anything." "Don't do that again." Jar Jar himself manages to crack me up during the final battle too.

Obi-Wan in ep II: "You don't want to sell me death sticks. You want to go home and rethink your life." and "Good job."

Ep III: "Ray shields!" "Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!" "Apparently not." also Yoda knocking out those red guards, and a moment later saying "Not if anything to say about it I have!"

In the original, everyone has great moments but I just crack up at nearly anything Luke says while on Tatooine. Also "I find your lack of faith disturbing - as you wish"; if you listen super-close, the inflection on those lines is sarcastic and irreverent.

Empire - Yoda's whole deceptive frogman sequence. also, "Sir, if I may venture an opinion..." "I'm not really interested in your opinion, 3PO". And Lobot for some reason, AKA "the guy with robot earmuffs".

Return - Lando pulling his mask down to let the audience see his face. And Nien Numb. If you wiggle you index finger in front of your puckered lips and go b-b-b-b-b, that's what I think about when I see him.

And if we may include moments from The Clone Wars: Voyage of Temptation: "What? He was gonna blow up the ship!" Mercy Mission: "Aww great, it's gonna be one of THOSE planets." Bounty: "uuuuhhh, compliments from the lizard in the back." and Revival: "Insolence? We are pirates! We don't even know what that means!"

So many moments. And they all only get funnier as time goes on. Anybody else feel the same?

Luke Skyquacker and kainee like this.
  14. Darth Fuji

Darth Fuji Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013

No... I don't like you either ;)

Luke Skyquacker likes this.
  15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    How Typical.

16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    do deleted scenes count? i like the deleted scene of when obi wan and anakin are discussing their coded escapes and Ewan does the moustache twirl

kainee and darthwannobi like this.
  17. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I also thought it was a funny line, but it came off very odd in ROTS. It sort of came off like ObiWan was actually Talking right to the audience like they in plays sometimes on Broadway. I can't put my finger on it, but it seemed out of place for a SW movie.

Luke Skyquacker likes this.
  18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I LOVE that line!!!

And I've never gotten the upset over it.

Obi-Wan is often talking to the audience in the prequels -- AOTC and ROTS, where he's tasked with being the ironic everyman, anyway.

If that particular part has a "Broadway" vibe, then that's fine by me. The whole opening act, by design, is kind of one running "Indiana Jones"/vaudevillian tryst. The modality is a little more... outrageous, chipper, upbeat, etc., (but with dark bits thrown in). Like a prelude. In that way, ROTS is obviously mirroring the sail barge sequence that opens ROTJ.

And the character motivation, in my opinion, makes sense. Obi-Wan is particularly exasperated in that moment and is just expressing his annoyance in a slightly-animated, self-effacing way. It's natural that it comes across as a bit exoteric/fourth-wall-breaking, because of who Obi-Wan is, and the part of the movie he's complaining outloud within.

And the humour works at expressing a deeper point with its self-conscious ebullience. Like, "Really should have seen that one coming!" Only, they didn't. Kinda like the rest of the movie, in fact.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Keep your distance though, Chewie. But don't look like you're trying to keep your distance.
    I don't know, fly casual.

I can't help but laugh along while Sidious is laughing it up in ROTS. He's such a card.

20. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    From Jedi:

Luke - Thanks, Threepio
    C3PO - I never knew I had it in me...

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "What is it? What is happening?"
    "I'm really not quite sure sir, they're speaking a very primitive dialect, but I do believe they think I'm some sort of god."
    "Well why don't you use your divine influence, and get us out of this?"
    "I beg your pardon, General Solo, but that just wouldn't be proper."
    "Proper???"
    "It's against my programming to impersonate a diety."

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When Han attempts to start the Falcon in ESB and it stutters and Han hits it.

23. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    No time to talk about this in a committee!

I'm not a committee!!!

24. Sam Jordan

Sam Jordan Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2013
    Came here to say this. Its such a funny line and read so well by Fisher. The best lines in the OT are with Han Leia, IMO.

25. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    A nod to Fonzie on Happy Days?

FRAGWAGON and Sarge like this.