main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Qui-Gon just TAKE Shmi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jun 10, 2013.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Threepio: "Wonderful!"=D=

2. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    Don't slaves get blown up when trying to escape?

3. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Jinn didn't want to have business freeing slaves. In order to get off of the planet, he needed the hyperdrive for his ship. If using/freeing a slave is in the process of him getting the hyperdrive, then so be it, but freeing slaves was not anyone's priority on Tatooine.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Because she had a bomb in her.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Last time I checked this was true.[face_tee_hee]

6. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Wow I never knew that! thanks

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ever see that movie Scanners?

I think there's a certain disallowed gif from that film that explains what would've happened quite well. :p

8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I never knew about these slave transmitters. I'll have to look them up. Thanks for the new tid-bit!

9. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    they are mentioned in the movie.

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Shmi Skywalker: All slaves have a transmitter placed somewhere in their body.
    Anakin: I've been working on a scanner to try and locate mine.
    Shmi Skywalker: Any attempt to escape...
    Anakin: And they blow you up! BOOM!
    Jar Jar Binks: How wude!

Dredalus likes this.
  11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013

Dredalus likes this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Now that I've read Darth Maul, Lockdown...

Why didn't Qui Gon just take Shmi?
    ;)

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the main reason he didn't is because it didn't suit his objective not because he was condoning slavery. His focus was always the boy.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Little Ani: "Can my Mother come too?"
    Qui-Gon: "The prophecy is for the chosen one."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Maybe he DID take her.

In a manly fashion.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    How do you mean?

17. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Err….does this explain it?

http://imgur.com/gallery/ezfpQgF

:p

TX-20 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Where does this impression stem? I have seen fics of that tone as well but I don't understand the basis.

19. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

It was just a joke. A bit of wordplay with the thread title.;)

As to why people put them together in fics, I would imagine this is because Qui-Gon acts a bit like a father to Anakin and he's also quite gentle with Shmi.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Ah, yes, I am not good with humour but I did know what you meant just not why you said it. :p

I agree with you. Qui seemed to interface with Young Anakin most he also seemed the most human with him. Otherwise I found him a bit cold.

21. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Reason 1: His objective was not to free the slaves.
    Reason 2: The best blades stay in their sheathes.
    Reason 3: Shmi would explode.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Reason 4: Watto wouldn't allow it, even when Qui-Gon had the appropriate money to free her.

23. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013

You sound like one of those people that want the U.S army to destroy every evil dictator on Earth, for example Iraq. Jedi are guardians of the Republic, meaning they only have authority in the Republic. If they tried anything and got caught, it was cause bad situation between the Hutts and the Republic. If they did successfully did it secretly, there would be a big morale issue. The issue would be one just one slave? If you freed one slave, you should free them all right? Again this comes up to the bad situation between the Hutts and the Republic. The Hutts would obviously find out that the Jedi trying to free all their slaves. This might lead to war, and the Jedi would get blamed for it. I don't think the people of the Republic would want to go to war over a few slaves in the outer rim. From the movies you get this feeling that most citizens don't care about the outer rim at all.

Samnz likes this.
  24. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Reason 5: The Jedi are the keepers of peace, not soldiers as Mace said in Episode II. They don't want to risk anything that'll spark an unintended war between the Republic (which would make the citizens of the Republic hate the Jedi for that) and the Hutts. They only act to preserve the Republic, under Republic jurisdiction. Qui-Gon said it himself. "I didn't exactly come here to free slaves." It sucks, but that's what happened.

Hey, look, I'm not saying that unless we free all the slaves, we shouldn't free any slave; I'm just saying that Qui-Gon got on Tatooine by accident, he wasn't exactly coming to lead a war of freedom on the Hutts and liberate the slaves. Now, Han Solo? Sure, I could see him smuggling Shmi out if she meant something to him. He doesn't care about the Hutts, so anything he can do to anger them would be pleasing to Han Solo.

25. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Because he didn't want to traumatize Anakin by having his mother explode all over his nice clothes? :p Despite what others have said - I think Qui-Gon would have freed Shmi at a later point if he had survived the events of TPM. Or at least...I like to think so. But Qui-Gon couldn't do anything for her at the time and he had already spent a lot of time to get Anakin out of there. Naboo needed them more than one slave. Hell - the only reason Qui-Gon cared to free Anakin was because he thought he was the messiah of the Jedi.

It makes sense that the Jedi Order didn't do it. Again, I think Lucas was trying to show by this point the Jedi Order had become blind, deaf, and mute to everything outside of themselves. They had become so cold and emotionless that they'd see no problems with Shmi remaining a slave as it would allow Anakin to be completely cut off from any "emotional distractions". So I get why Obi-Wan didn't do it. As cold-blooded as it sounds.

It makes little sense that Anakin just accepted it (especially if he was having vivid dreams of her being in pain).

What really makes absolutely no sense is Padme not freeing her and I don't buy the excuse that she is selfish or flawed. Anakin helped to free her world and she couldn't muster up a weekend trip to Tatooine with goods that Watto would take for Shmi? Really? I get that as a story telling device - it is more organic to have flawed characters versus perfect ones. I support that idea but there is a fine line between being flawed and just making the character look bad. In ten years - no one thought to do anything for Shmi? They just used her to get to her son and left her to rot as a slave? These are the "good guys" of the story right?

At the very least, Lucas couldn't have mustered some type of explanation? Maybe Padme DID try to go free Shmi and Watto was so pissed about losing Anakin to these people (he felt like Qui-Gon had tricked him remember?) that he refuses to sell Shmi to Padme just to spite her. It would even add to the fact that Anakin had this obsession with Padme for years. Surely, he'd feel even more affection towards her knowing what Padme had tried to do for his own mother?

Or how about a nice twist? Padme tried to buy Shmi and told the Jedi Order her plans for Anakin and they prevented her from doing it out of fear that it would interrupt Anakin's training. Imagine Anakin learning of that later on and the rage/betrayal he'd feel knowing the Jedi had done that to him and his mother? It would also add fuel to Anakin's later sudden hatred of the Jedi ("From my point of view the Jedi are evil!")

But no....let's just have no one go after Shmi. /sigh/