main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Is the Old Republic going to be a bust?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by darth_nemisis, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Gingerbread sith, complete with tattoos

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    From the leaks it looks like that there will be Imperial/Republic flashpoints on Tython/Korriban where we will meet i.a. Theron Shan and... T3 (but IDK if it is THIS T3)

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TOR WILL be a bust if they don't include Ziost and/or Yavin!

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Cronal

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Galaxies lasted for 8 years, no reason TOR can't do at least half that. It's main problem is that it simply isn't as much of a sandbox environment as Galaxies was.

Darth Loocas and darklordoftech like this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I HATE TOR's Sith Empire.
    1. It makes Palpatine an imitator.
    2. Kreia talked about the ANCIENT, TRUE, LEGITIMATE Sith Empire, not some illigitimate Emperor.

Revanfan1 Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas likes this.
  7. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    if you mean the swtor game sith empire,i love the game as a game but the concept of the empire & specially the emperor him self i actually dont like it much

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's what I'm talking about.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  9. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    yeah, i know...they went overboard with it,im thinking did GL totaly agree with this?i mean
    making a game as huge (sotospeak )as this andmore importantly it sets a whole new era in the TOR era..and events,dont u think for a big move in EU like this george himself must be directly aked permission,or just the LL is enough it be chee or someone less important

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL doesn't care about anything that happened before Yoda was born. If Yoda was in TOR, however, GL would jump off a bridge in disgust. Darth Loocas

11. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    oh good point! btw i was just playing every scene in kotor II i thought we might get info from,ddnt find anything,i just ddnt save the moment when we arrive on korriban,i saved it after whatever she said,visiting the tombs ddnt clarify much, only about the lords ,and getting to the point where i can leave dant to travel to korriban for the first time i gotta play alot.

12. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    I think in the end they'll make a pretty penny off of it.

It's not a bad game. the production values are amazing, and the updates have been pretty regular, even after it went F2P.

Now I agree they probably would not have decided to make it F2P, if the subscriber base had not been rapidly declining, but I don't believe that will make the game bust in the long run.

The biggest issue I have with the game is that it is too much of a traditional MMO. It scratches my KOTOR itch on some of the better missions, but other than that it is basically WoW with a StarWars paint job.

I would rather have had them spend 300 million on a couple of KOTOR games.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm just a heartbeat away from resubbing to play a Trooper tank character. Hmph.
    Either that, or Rift, dunno. I feel the MMO craving swelling in me.

14. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    This is ultimately what killed my interest in the game. I was loving my Imperial Agent, but by the time I got to Tatooine and was having to do side missions helping Jawas find water (or whatever it was) just to level up enough to continue with the agent storyline sort-of killed the mood. :[face_sigh]:

Maizel likes this.
  15. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    KOTOR, for the record, had plenty of sidequesting of its own, with many missions of a rather similar nature to those in TOR - short dialogue and then go fetch/kill/aggressively negotiate with x thing. It's what all RPGs do, especially those where the character has limited methods to interact with the environment (as compared to say, Skyrim, where you can pick up and manipulate objects in far more varied ways).

I don't find the sidequesting in TOR to be all that bad, though there are a few issues. First, if you're anything of a completionist there's a temptation to over-level early on, which actually reduces the experience gain later and means you do more missions and kill more enemies for reduced rewards. I had this problem with my first character, hitting level 25 before leaving Taris (Republic-side) and then really slogging towards the end, including playing through most of Voss and all of Corellia already at 50.

Second, if you are F2P, and you can't get the resting bonus XP, then you have the opposite problem (you also have more difficulty finding money to buy companion gifts and get the convo XP), not having enough experience and having things get sloggy. That's a consequence of F2P as an add-on though, the game is basically punishing those persons and hoping they'll like the game enough to alleviate their suffering by purchasing a subscription.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The long level grind is why I still haven't finished all the class stories yet. Going through a familiar planet two, three times is wearying, but 8 times? Oh boy. There are other ways to gain experience, such as PVP combat or group content like Flashpoints, but... I prefer playing solo, and especially by, say, level 40 to be even near the level of a story quest requires doing just about every single sidequest. Even with rested XP, that still only doubles the mob xp, and those are just drops of water, with even quest rewards barely being... a 20th of the amount required to get to the next level by 40. And worse yet that the dailies are locked out until 50 (47 in Ilum's case).

It wasn't quite so bad in KotOR, as KotOR was only... six planets or so (Taris, then the four Star Map planets and then Lehon), and also your choices had more consequences so it was more entertaining. And stuff like medpacks made up for lack of player skill. Been playing through the iPad KotOR version and its reminded me how great the original game was. In an MMO, sidquests are just a short conversation, go out and kill or click a few things, then return for experience. In KotOR, you could affect who gets to be leader, who might show up later, etc. TOR is an MMO, so its a mostly static world outside of instances, so its just part of the MMO structure, but then a lot of us would have still preferred a KotOR III.

Double XP weekends are one of the few things that help mitigate the level grind, but those might not be repeatable events. They've done it twice this year, but who knows if they'll do them again (possibly, given popular demand). Honestly, if they sold a double XP cartel market item I would probably cave in, and I'm slightly afraid when that day will come.

Haven't really played an MMO before SWTOR, but after how my main Shadow tank has been treated since 2.0, I'm considering looking into another MMO eventually (WoW, GW2 maybe, or even FFXIV).

17. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    go with TOR. You would be amazed at how much the game has improved.

I just started playing again and at first it took me a little while to get back into the swing of things but I absolutely love it.

Right now the game has been doing amazing since going F2P the servers are full of people and even EA says its one of their most profitable games. They have started hiring new developers and the developers have dropped hints about adding 3d space combat soon.

18. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    It takes about ~8 million total XP to get from level 1 to level 50. With reasonably judicious use of rested XP (ie. leveling multiple characters at once or just pacing yourself), the rested XP bonus could add up to 1-1.5 million XP over the course of a character (and significantly more at 50-55).

KOTOR and KOTOR II are also...wait for it...really, really easy games. I played the entirety of both pretty much never using grenades, medpacs, or shields in any circumstance whatsoever, and that was on the first playthrough. Now, easy isn't a bad thing, but it's not entirely fair to complain that TOR, which is both more difficult and has more grinding by design, to the KOTOR series.

TOR is still way less grind-heavy than your average JRPG.

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Thanks to the double xp weekends plus the xp boost, I bumped my Jedi Guardian character up to 42 over the past few weekends. My main Sage is at level 55. PVP has improved quite a bit as far as warzones are concerned, though there are still some bugs.

My 6 month renewal hit yesterday. I'm still not wild about everything they are doing, but I can't deny that this game has managed to keep my interest as opposed to other games where I just gave up or checked out. Still, I would like to see a bit more bang for my buck in game. I don't like the focus on cartel coins at all. Personally would like it if subscribers could pay with in game credits to change appearances as opposed to having to pay with cartel coins. Something like that would be a nice compromise. It is still a lot of money, nonsubs can only use cartel coins. And for those that want it fast, they still have the option of cartel coins.

The news of this new Ewok companion is interesting. I'm a bit disappointed it would cost me a million per character that I want to unlock her for and I have to be legacy level 40. I think I just hit legacy 20 this past weekend. Clearly would need to make more alts to advance my legacy. Good news there is I still have smuggler, bounty hunter, agent, trooper, and inquisitor to really go through. I've heard great things about the Agent's storyline so I think that is where I'll go next.

20. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Most of the unlocks do end up on sale for in game credits on the GTN, so if you judiciously manage the free coins you get for being a subscriber you shouldn't ever have to actually buy anything.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Ah well.
    I gave in haha.
    Just a few more minutes and I think it'll be good to go... Vanguard, here I come.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  22. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I don't think you will regret it Hellhammer. The game has really come a long way in a short period of time. Plus you get the added bonus of having double XP from July 4th - July 8th.

Darkslayer likes this.