main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Force Scream: How Palpatine tooled the posse

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Rise...

and be merged.

Pensivia likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    In all honesty, I just think it's a bit of sloppy editing there.
    If his attack was sped up and recut just a little bit, it would make perfect sense.

Although, I don't mind the scene the way it is.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed.

But if you play that @ 1.5 x normal speed... it all goes down a little smoother.
    :)

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    If you play it back at .5x speed, it may spell out an evil backwards message. :p

I don't really mind how it was in the film either.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sidious' yell is something some would consider to be unnatural (It certainly doesn't sound all that human). If you need that to get you over the hump of Sidious wiping out 3 Jedi in a second, then so be it.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe in the next Special Edition they can replace Sidious' scream with a Krayt Dragon call.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I actually love that scream.
    It's just a perfect illustration of him being finally "unleashed" after all the years of staying under the radar.

purplerain and Ananta Chetan like this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Ponda Baba is the Walrus".

9. SW1sawesum

SW1sawesum Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    I like that idea of force scream having momentarily stunned the Jedi. Looking at it that way makes that scene at least tolerable. Usually I just cringe when it comes up.. Mace has just been told that the chancellor, who has already stayed on way past his term of office and gotten many emergency powers, has just been revealed to be the sith lord that has been plotting against them for years...and his response is to take 3 apparently junior grade jedi with him.

10. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I like the scene as it was. Ok it was poorly choreographed, but I think GL had the right idea, Just didn't pull it off well. I've said before the scene would have been better if the Jedi were blasted with lightning knocking them all over, then Palpatine jumps over kills both Tinn and Kolar quickly while Fitso and Windu are getting to their feet. Then the fight carries on as it does in the film.

The Jedi that where taken were Agen Kolar, Saesee Tinn, Kit Fitso and Mace Windu, all of which where Jedi Masters NOT junior grade Jedi as you put it. Although Fitso did say he would have preferred if Yoda, Obi-Wan and Plo Koon where there instead, But I think it was Tinn that said they where all Jedi Masters and more then capable of taking a Sith Lord on his own (Of course Tinn was totally wrong, but still).

I just think this whole "Force Scream" thing is stupid, I mean someone here said it before "4 Jedi Masters being stunned by an old guy shouting at them" I mean seriously how stupid is that. That's why it would have been better with lightning, I mean not only is it surprising, but very powerful too.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't think it was the scream, im a huge KOTOR fan but I just think they filmed it that way.

12. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I never really thought it was a scream either until I came across this thread, but it's certainly in there and noticeable as well. Although I think you may be right, but I would definitely would have liked to see some cool force power being used by Palpatine.

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    The way a bunch of well respected, well experienced Jedi masters got cut down in the movies was unsatisfying to me. It's been a while since I read the book, and I forgot how, and if it is explained there.

14. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    There is a more detailed version of this fight that I posted (I believe it was the Did Mace beat Palpatine thread) that should give you some insight as to the idea that GL was trying to go for in this fight scene, But as I say he just didn't pull it off very well.

15. RandomAccident

RandomAccident Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2014
    I know this is a necro, but I really wanted to chime in here because I found this thread via Google.

The way this fight was explained to me is the following:

1) This was a motley crew of Jedi.

During this period the galaxy was in a state of disorder. Having just discovered the true identity of Palpatine, Jedi were immediately dispatched to intercept him almost on a "first available" basis.

2) The screaming:

Palpatine used that scream to stun the Jedi, two of which were rendered totally helpless. And were quickly struck down with two quick strikes. Kit sensed the attack but was killed before able to fully adapt and really defend himself. Those noises hes making are him using the force.

3) So why did Mace do so well against one of the most powerful Sith Lords of all time?

Mace Windu was probably one of the best saber duelists ever to exist. Not only that, but because of Vaapad, he was very familiar with the dark side. When Palpatine attacked he probably used the dark energy of his own to send or deflect the stunning wave of force that worked so well on the others.

4) So who really "won" the duel?

Who knows. It's possible that Palpatine really set the whole thing up banking on the fact that Anakin would save him, effectively betraying the Jedi order, sealing his fate forever. It's possible that Mace really defeated him and it was just sheer luck that Anakin sensed his trouble and came running. We know that Mace and Yoda fight up and up, and that Yoda could not defeat Palpatine.

Hope this adds to the pot.

16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

All of the characters were very familiar with the dark side. The "dark side" resided within all of them. Many of them - with an exception or two - were merely too blind to realize this. There was nothing unique about Mace's "dark side".

Mace used "the dark side" to defend himself against Palpatine? Did Obi-Wan do the same during his duels with Maul and Anakin?

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    1) All three Jedi were Council members in the movie. I believe EU sources (the novelization?) state that they were specifically chosen for the task based on their combat skills.

Other than that, your points are fine.

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards. Don't worry about the necro, it's cool.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My understanding of Vaapad was that it did not require actually delving into the Dark Side, just channeling enough aggression that the user had to be careful not to cross that line. Only Mace and Depa Billaba knew how to do it because most people couldn't handle the extraordinary level of emotional control it required.

But yeah, the Jedi who went after Palpatine were chosen to do so due to their combat expertise.

The scream I thought was just Palpatine going bats. I didn't think it was purposeful.

The "who won the duel?" has been debated a lot. I think Mace would have eventually killed Palpatine if Anakin hadn't shown up but I also think that Palpatine was in drama-king mode for Anakin's sake right before Anakin cut off Mace's hand.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might not go all the way in - but it definitely skims the edge, so to speak:

According to the RoTS novel, Vaapad requires one to: "enjoy the fight, to give oneself over to the thrill of battle, the rush of winning" and it's a "path that leads through the penumbra of the dark side".

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    A good shout(pardon the pun) but let's remember these are experienced Jedi's he's going up against. Perhaps if he used force lightning and then jumped towards them or something it might have be a little more plausible.

Force Scream also sucked in KOTOR for me.

21. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    If anything, Why not just have Mace Windu and just one other Jedi go to confront Palpatine?

22. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Pretty much describes most of the Jedi. You should the expressions on their faces, when they are in the middle of combat. And honestly . . . I see nothing wrong with Vaapad. A person cannot escape his or her dark side. It's part of that person's nature. And it's also a matter of whether that person can learn to control it . . . or allow it to control him or her. Sometimes, going the other way in extreme can also be just as bad.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Jedi Path - there's a note in the section on lightsaber styles, that the reason Juyo was so restricted, was that so many Jedi users of it ended up going over to the dark side.

24. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Why do these authors and sometimes, Lucas, insist upon portraying morality in such a simple-minded manner?

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Yep. And if you mute the movie and listen to Revolution 9 while watching you will either become a Sith Lord or a follower of Charles Manson.