main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    1. That Luke and Leia's mother was still alive somewhere after she gave birth to them. I thought this based in part on the ROTJ novelization.

2. That Obi-Wan was married and had kids. He ran off at some point after his marriage failed and joined the Jedi. (No idea why...and boy was I wrong!)

3. That Han and Leia "did it" on Bespin (I was a kinky little six year old)

4. That Luke had his mechanical hand replaced with a natural type one (basically a hand transplant) that was wired into his nervous system (I think I saw Frankenstein on TV around this time and got a little weird from it :p)

pronker and starwarsjunkie7 like this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    When Vader said 'It's useless to resist,' I thought he was saying 'It's useless, Turisiest,' and Turisiest was some kind of other name he had for Luke. When I was playing with my figures after I was calling Luke Turisiest and my friends had to explain it to me. I used to think Annie Lennox said 'Overgrown with fleas' in 'Must Be Talkin To An Angel' too.

3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Because of the thousands of times I read the storybook...
    ...between 77 and it coming out on laserdisc I thought the scene with Luke watching the battle from the ground and the "bye bye Biggs" scene were in the movie.

4. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Watching the Special Editions for the first time as a kid I thought Lucas had actually released Star Wars as Episode 4: A New Hope in 77 and he just explained that he wasn't able to make the first 3 because he didn't have the technology.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    --I read the novelization of ANH so much that I mis-remembered and thought that Biggs had a scene with Luke on Tatooine and that Luke saw the space battle with his binoculars.

--I would often get the words life saver and light saber confused, and I really liked life savers b/c they I thought they had something to do with Star Wars. I think I also thought that a life preserver was called a life saver.

--I'm pretty sure I thought Vader in the Dagobah cave was a robot, and I thought that maybe Yoda controlled him.

--I would listen to that dialogue about the Emperor disbanding the Senate and giving powers to the regional governors, and no matter how hard I thought about it, I couldn't figure out what the heck they were talking about. I thought Vader was in charge, and I was pretty confused that if there was somebody above Vader why they didn't show him.

--I couldn't figure out what the Executor was crashing into ROTJ because I knew the Death Star was a sphere and the surface it crashes into is clearly flat. I also still really don't like the model work for the crash and I wish that Lucas had re-done it with CGI.

--I couldn't figure out where the 2 sets of turrets that Han and Luke use on the Falcon were on its exterior.

--When I saw ANH, I was convinced that Luke would get Leia in the end, not Han. Boy was I wrong there.

6. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's a great video about a girl who has tons of misconceptions about Star Wars: .
    This was Lucas's favorite fan-made film in that SW fan film competition that is put on every year.

7. Sock and Awe

Sock and Awe Jedi Master star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I love this one...so of course I had to do a google image search for it:

[​IMG]

pronker and Vthuil like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I once thought that the Vader that was in the cave was Hayden Christensen when you saw face [face_laugh]

9. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    *delurk*

I remember when I was real young a kid told me that Bib Fortuna was Darth Vader, cause they both have no hair and both wear black. It's fuzzy now, but this might've been before I saw RotJ (we had the action figures already though), 'cause I sorta believed him.

10. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Oh my god, you watched the prequels first. You poor thing!

11. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I thought at the end of ROTJ, when Luke cuts off Vader's hand and looks at his own black hand, that Luke's hand was Vader's that was somehow transferred through the force to replace his hand because he was falling to the Dark Side. So I reasoned that the suit that Vader wears is actually what Luke would have to wear if he became the Emperor's apprentice. ESB reassured this theory of mine because Luke's head was beneath Vader's mask. :p

darklordoftech and Ganger like this.
  12. jedi hulk

jedi hulk Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013
    "This may smell bad, kid, but it'll keep you warm until I get the shelter built" = Some reason I always thought Han said shelterville... no idea why lol

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's a common misconception that TPM Anakin is young Luke. On several occasions I have heard him called "Luke", even by someone who was wearing a Star Wars shirt!

Her summary is more accurate than what many people who saw all 6 movies believe.

I wonder to this day if green saber = higher rank and blue saber = lower rank.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha this reminds me - as a kid, for years I believed that guy was Han Solo and wondered how did he survive that.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    When I saw ANH for the first time I thought Darth Vader's black suit was just a spacesuit and that the stormtroopers were wearing similar ones only white. I thought this until I saw ESB of course.

16. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    That was one of Lucas' original ideas for Vader and the stormtroopers, I think.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I believe it was too. I've read some of the earlier scripts but I can't recall what it says about the suits. I'm not sure if that was his intention when they were filming ANH either.

darth ladnar likes this.
  18. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Yep, it was. The first idea was that Vader and the storm troopers were entering from a de-pressurized environment and needed a breathing mask.

However, the whole suit was not for breathing. Lucas had played around with idea of a half-man/half-robot in almost all of his earlier drafts of SWs. In 1 on them, the cyborg man was a good guy. So, it was GL's intention to make him Vader cybernetic when he wrote the shooting script for SW. It was only when he saw the artwork for the breathing mask that he decided to make the breathing mask part of the suit.

Here's the original early conception of Vader with a breathing mask. Notice that his opponent needs a breathing mask also.

[​IMG]

19. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    I remember another misconception I had as a kid. I thought Dagobah was an early Earth. The reason I thought that was that Dagobah had snakes everywhere and there is even a monitor lizard there. Since these were creatures from Earth's past, I thought Dagobah was Earth when reptiles ruled the planet.

I still think it's weird that they used real Earth animals there.

20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I didn't realize, even after Yoda revelas himself, that he was faking being nuts. I thought he was like that for real, so when I played with my Yoda figure when I was a kid, I made him act like nuts everytime.

And I thought Earth was part of the Star Wars galaxy, somewhere.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought that George Lucas thought that he was writing Episodes 1, 2, and 3 in '77 and that he got really mad when they told him it was actually 4, 5, and 6. I don't know why I thought this, given that he's the writer, but I believe one of my friends (or maybe one of my dad's friends) told me this and I believed it for a long time.

For years, after playing KOTOR 2, I thought that Oola wore a one-piece bathing suit that was really low-cut because that's what all the Twi'leks wore in KOTOR 2. It wasn't until I was maybe 14 that I realized she was basically wearing a net.

When I first watched the movies at age 7-8, when watching ROTJ I had no clue what Leia was wearing when she was Jabba's slave, because the only woman I'd ever seen in a bikini up to that point was the woman in Snow Dogs when the main character was dreaming about her on the beach, and even then my dad told me to "look away." So I didn't know what she was wearing and was probably (though I don't remember perfectly) a little embarrassed.

darth ladnar likes this.
  22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Remembered another one:
    For about two years I thoght that actually existed 6 original movies, but I couldn't find then anywhere to rent no matter how hard I tried.

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

You're lucky you weren't shopping with me and some of my friends last month. We were in a Thrift Store and one of us was looking at the wedding dresses and asked us what this was. "This" was a cover to a piece of feminine intimate wear. We explained this and seeing her embarrassed expression we quickly grabbed several pieces and dragged her off to the fitting/changing room. We told her since she was getting married she would get at least one from the pastor's wife. It doesn't help that her man said that women that show their shoulders are asking for trouble. I think he regrets saying that since I was the the ony other girl there that wasn't related to him.

In all seriousness though I didn't know what it was either until I asked someone, probably my mom, and she told me.

darth ladnar likes this.
  24. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I used to think Obi-Wan said "they're not for sale, if you want them" to the Stormtroopers that stopped him and Luke. It's was only much later when I read the novel that I realized he said "they're UP for sale, if you want them."

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought the Death Star II was actually the original Death Star from ANH and that the uncompleted parts were the result of the explosion.