main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    Ok ladies and gents. Here is the *OFFICIAL* thread to sound off on what you expect to go horribly wrong with the next installment in our beloved franchise.

Is it a character returning from the Prequels that scares you the most?

Is it JJ Abrams hackish ways that puts fear into your heart?

Does the very idea of the Extended Universe having a part in the official cinematic canon send chills down your spine?

Or maybe the very idea that George Lucas may have something, anything to do with how these films play out is causing you severe intestinal discomfort?

Your thoughts and opinions are absolutely appreciated. And remember, don't hold back!

: D

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in "nerd rage" and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible may happened." :)

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    You want a list of my fears *pulls out 10 foot long list* I'll just summarize the main ones:
    1. The OT cast will fail to live up to expectations and thus will ruin our childhood memories
    2. The new cast wont be able to lead this new franchise
    3. It will do something stupid like ressurecting Palpatine or Vader or something else that just makes us all facepalm
    4. It will be a big giant mess of references, EU easter eggs and other things that dont serve the plot at all
    5. The script sucks
    6. It doesn't know whether to be a mature movie or a goofy kids movie so it constantly switches back and forth
    7. Love triangles or other stupid cliches that we keep seeing in all these movies lately
    8. The OT cast aren't given good deaths or are forced through this entire trilogy but are downgraded to background roles with nothing to do
    9. The villain is just some expected, cliche thing *like secret apprentice* who has to rely on past villains in order to have credibility
    10. Fans here bashing every single little detail before the movie is even released
    11. The actors *old and new* have no motivation to do a good job since "Its just a Star Wars movie. I mean they'll love us regardless of our performances"
    12. They shove in tons of popular "flavor of the month" actors but dont have their character be anything interesting other than "Hey look its The Rock as a Jedi"
    13. It will rely too much on nostalgia and "mirroring" that it just looks like they are ripping off the past films
    14. *assuming they use the EU* they shove in tons of obscure EU references that only star wars fans get but the general audience is like "What?"
    15. Characters returning for no purpose OTHER than to be all "Hey look its that guy"
    16. Fans complaining when all of their SW7 wants weren't realized so they take out their frustration on the movie *even if its good*
    17. People bashing the new characters just because either A)they aren't EU characters or B)They are the focus of the movie, not the OT cast
    18. IF they use the EU, they change and alter the characters beyond recognition that it defeats the point of using the EU
    19. It not having a good marketing campaign
    20. Its a big huge power struggle between Lucas vs Abrams vs Kathleen vs The Mouse vs whoever else is involved and the films quality suffers from that
    21. The Star Trek vs Star Wars battle gets worse now that we have something in common
    22. A female lead that either A) comes off as annoying B)They have to surround her by weaker characters in order to make her look better by comparison or C) They do something to make her "special" but just ends up pissing us off *like say she is like a reincarnated Anakin or is the living embodiment of the light side or some BS like that* or D) Just a weakly written character

I got pages of these I could go on :p

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    My biggest fear is that the EU fans will become enraged when they realize their (our) stories have been overwritten and the EU fan community will be reduced to nearly nothing. But if that's my biggest fear it should show how open I am to anything that could happen in the ST (though there are some things I don't want to see; a very few).

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is the only one that I'm not worried about. Agree on the rest.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not worried about this one either. If they were going to rely on nostalgia there wouldn't be a new cast. :)

6. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Its just a fear I have. I mean I trust Arndt like no tommorow....but then again I also trusted David Goyer with MOS and we all know how that turned out :p

appleseed likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought you liked MOS.

8. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    A score under 85 on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    My biggest fear is Neo-Sith. I absolutely hate Neo-Sith.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  10. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I loved it....but even I know there was some problems with the script. Coarse I am forgiving but still...it wasn't the "AMAZING A++" thing I was expecting

VMeran likes this.
  11. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    " I mean I trust Arndt like no tommorow....but then again I also trusted David Goyer with MOS and we all know how that turned out "

It turned out wonderfully. MOS just crossed the half billion mark world wide and will probably end up in the 700 range when all is said and done.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is pretty much my exact reaction, as well.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please note: the overly negative tone taken in the original post (anti-PT, anti-Lucas, anti-Abrams, anti-EU, etc.) doesn't need to be kept going if this thread wants to stay alive.

14. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    fear leads to anger

anger leads to hate

hate leads to flaming on TFN

I sense much fear in this thread..

that being said, I'm not too fussed about any movie anymore, I see them as movies and don't invest my time getting mad or fearful over it, if I don't like it, meh, I won't get the DVD or watch it again.

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Actually, it's the severe intestinal discomfort I fear most.

Atris and TigerCraneFist like this.
  16. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    Sorry Merk, but box office "success" does not equal QUALITY. That's a common fallacy peeps tend to make on the internet. Here are some examples to support my case:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen = 836 mil worldwide
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon = 1.1 bil worldwide
    Pirates of the Caribbean 2 = 1.06 bil
    Alice in Wonderland = 1.02 bil
    The Hobbit = 1.02 bil
    Harry Potter 1 = 974 mil
    Pirates 3 = 963 mil
    Shrek 2 = 919 mil
    Spidey 3 = 891 mil
    Twilight 2 = 829 mil
    Shrek 3 = 799 mil
    2012 = 770 mil
    Shrek 4 = 753 mil
    The "Amazing" Spiderman = 752 mil
    and of course we cannot forget the matrix sequels and the star wars prequels.

Case.

Rested.

Chewgumma and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  17. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    That's a bummer. I'm sorry you've lost your passion for life.

: (

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hey! What's wrong with The Hobbit? That's a quality movie if I've ever seen one!

Episode Swag likes this.
  19. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    And in regards to Man of Steel... quite a disappointment. The aforementioned script was at best mediocre, uninspired, and littered with clichés and contrivances. And that's me being nice to it. The cast wasn't awful. I think most of the actors were poorly miscast (Adams, Shannon, etc.) but they did the best they could with the weak script. So I don't blame them. The music (like most of the film) was just TOO MUCH. I usually like Zimmer, but this was a definite miss for him. It was desensitizing and overwhelming. Zack Snyder is not known for subtlety mind you, but good heavens! For the pros... I did see it in the imax and the visuals were thoroughly impressive. The action was a little to chaotic and the camera man acted like he had the Michael J. Fox disease, but other than that, it was pretty "tight" as they say.

C- overall.

Episode Swag and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Kenu Reeves.

Well, him and Lense flare fever - it made STID hard to really watch for me.

Sarge likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude. Movies aren't life.

I'll answer your question though, sort of. I don't want to see any Mary Sue/Gary Stu/pet character types and I don't want to see damsels in distress. I also don't want to see resurrected characters. Fear isn't the word though, as the idea of being annoyed doesn't scare me.

Chewgumma likes this.
  22. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    Yeeeaaahhhhh....

not so much.

23. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    Fear.

Fear attracts the fearful.

Fear is my ally.

My other ally is Bob.

I fear Bob.

Oh $#&^ it's Bob!

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Your opinion. State it as such, please.

25. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That it'll feel like a rebooted Star Trek movie.