main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

I've never watched the Venture Bros, which is strange since I was a big fan of Home Movies back in the day, and watched Aqua Team every now and then.

What was the GOT misunderstanding?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    No one explain it. He must watch the series from the beginning. [face_not_talking]

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Oh, what the hell, I ask. [face_shhh]

What is Venture Brothers and why should I be watching it? [face_dunno]

--Adm. Nick

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Interesting. :p

--Adm. Nick

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The Game of Throne Scene

s65horsey likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sweet icon, Gorefiend. I still claim dibs on the "tiny-minded Imperial twit" name, though! :p

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I am sure I will find something else ;) currently rewatching Droids anyway and had forgotten how insulting Screed is most of the time when he talks to Koong.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Now that is funny!! Hahahahaha! :D

--Adm. Nick

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Coop, I think you're forgetting the biggest selling point relating to this forum - the ridiculously funny Star Wars references.

I mean, they had Nien Nunb appear in an episode. And I mean literally appear... augh, that one is too difficult to explain.

But other than that - Venture Brothers does spoof a lot of things, sure, but it's also an actual story series. Plots advance, characters change with time. And it's a more realistic (if that word has meaning in this context) take on a superhero/villain world - they have a reasonable explanation for why regular authorities don't mess (usually) with supervillains, why organized villainy is tolerated, etc. And it has a universe that grows with every episode.
    There's some clunkers, but in general almost every episode is enjoyable to watch. I really recommend watching from the first - not the pilot, though - as it has one of the most insane montages set to music I'd seen up to that point. I could not stop laughing when I saw it the first time.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Venture Bros is, as far as I'm aware, the only animated series ever to actually introduce a retcon explaining why the children characters don't age--and when that retcon ceases to apply, they actually start aging.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, the wonderful Indy homage sequence...

Oh, and of course that Johnny Quest exists in the same universe, with a poor messed-up adult Johnny appearing in a number of episodes, along with Race Bannon and Hadji.

Man, what an awesome show...

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

Finally a topic for this thread I give a **** about.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll take a look at Venture Bros. I think the first season is on netflix... on that note, cartoon network really need to put more seasons of their shows on netflix. I really want to watch the rest of The Boondocks, but I'm too lazy to buy the seasons

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They've put so many Disney movies on Netflix lately, which is great. I just saw Mulan yesterday, and I haven't seen it in years and years.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    DONNY OSMOND:

JACKIE CHAN:

AURAL SEX:

(Headphones Required)

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, I knew Jackie Chan was big into singing, but I'd never actually listened to anything he's done. That sounded pretty good though. And that bilingual mashup is pretty damn awesome.

And yeah, Venture Bros. is indeed great. I love most of AS's lineup, but that and Metalocalypse are a step above the rest.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I cannot think or say the phrase "Why would you do that!" without imagining it in the voice of Henchmen #21. [edit]I blame the internet[/edit]. I did find two of my favorite scenes though (spoiler alert for the beginning of S2):

Of course then there are 21 and 24.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Er... Janson, that quote was in the third video you posted.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My internet is slow right now, so the video hadn't loaded that far by the time I posted it.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You know, you posted so many spoilers, you may as well linked to Gary's summary of the first four seasons... :p

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Gah, don't spoil season 2!

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Spoilers, eh... I don't know where I picked it up, but I always had Venture Bros pegged as one of those very episodic, "random" cartoons, with no recurring plotline, very similar to Aqua Team Hunger Force (which, while I enjoy, I've never been crazy about).

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If anything, it goes in the opposite direction. Some of the episodes in later seasons would definitely be very confusing without watching the earlier ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.