main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

If I believed in guilty pleasures, honestly, the whole show would be a guilty pleasure.

However, an episode I love that I haven't seen much love for is Bounty Hunters.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My guilty pleasure is Evil Plans.

OK, I don't feel guilty about it but I'm pretty sure I'm one of only a few who liked it.

pronker likes this.
  3. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Just watched that and its not too bad. Mine would have to be Shadow Warrior though.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Circular_Logic
    I hope you don't mind that I dragged your quote here...

Castle of Salvation (from TCW2008 film): Why would she go to Ziro's alone? Idiot!
    Destroy Malevolence: "Shut up and kiss me." Shut up, indeed.
    Bombad Jedi: I probably re-watch this the least. I just like seeing Gunray foiled again by Padme. Love that guy.
    Blue Shadow Virus / Mystery of a Thousand Moons: Her presence on Naboo isn't such a stretch.
    The Zillo Beast Strikes Back: It was sneaky to bring Padme into the mix. Poor Anakin, always in the middle.
    Senate Spy: The plot wasn't bad, but the delivery was very sappy.
    Corruption: At least her vocabulary wasn't limited.
    Assassin: I really don't mind this episode. I appreciate seeing Padme bonding with one of the few people that Anakin would consider his "family"; and Ahsoka is a stepping stone to dealing with the twins, so its nice to see Padme having an opportunity to be "motherly." (FWIW, I think she would have been a great mother.) Also, it shows Padme doing her job. Otherwise, she's a trigger-happy socialite, something Idc to see.
    Evil Plans: No comment necessary.
    Heroes on Both Sides: Finally, a good Padme-episode!
    Pursuit of Peace / Senate Murders: Again, no need to comment.
    Edit: Just a personal rant. I just don't like how Senate Murders ended. I can't imagine Natalie Portman's Padme punching anyone. I wouldn't call Padme tough; capable, yes, but not one that would resort to violent impulses.
    Water War / Gungan Attack / Prisoners: :rolleyes:
    Shadow Warrior: Guilty pleasure. I won't try to defend it.

...and Padme had no significant appearances in season 5. Thank the Maker. I hope the Clovis arc impresses me; I want to like Padme.

Circular_Logic and pronker like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I liked that one as well.

And I liked Bombad Jedi; Jar-Jar wearing Anakin's robe was hilarious.

Senate Spy: I liked the beginning and the end.

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [quote="cwustudent, post: 50829246, member: 1369923 I wouldn't call Padme tough; capable, yes, but not one that would resort to violent impulses.

...and Padme had no significant appearances in season 5. Thank the Maker. I hope the Clovis arc impresses me; I want to like Padme.[/quote]

I would not call her tough either - after the punchout of Lolo, Padme turned to Mon Mothma for a bracing hug. I am looking forward to the Clovis arc! Only x more months to go ...[face_plain]

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The Clovis arc had better be stellar after the delays and waiting for it.

Darth Eddie, hlc88 and pronker like this.
  8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Hmmmm, this is interesting. I never thought of that at all. I suppose this could make sense of why Vos looked like a chump when fighting Bane, and lost his lightsaber so quickly. Of course, we're probably just grasping at straws trying to connect this more heavily with the EU. :p

I don't mind.

Yeah, my sentiment as well. And Cat Taber sounding like she had a valley girl accent did little to help my opinion of her portrayal of Padmé, and her Natalie Portman impersonation was mediocre at best.

pronker likes this.
  9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Assuming of course it is going to be one of the arcs that is going to be included in the bonus content...

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    My favorite single 22-minute episode from the 5 seasons of the Clone Wars has got to be...

Bounty; Season 4, episode 20. Ventress makes the transformation from villain of the week to fascinating free radical, we see Boba on the way to becoming Fett, we meet dudes from ESB's bounty hunter lineup, we see some of the best physical action and animated cinematography in the series, that heartstring-tugging twist with the ninja aliens, Simon Pegg saying the line "poodoo" while Claire Grant gets her own character as a wedding gift, and Katie Lucas starts writing The Wars as brilliantly as her dad ever did.

And that cantina music. And that jawa who tries to sell Ventress his horse-thing in the first five seconds of the episode. And the line "uuuuuuuh, compliments from the lizard in the back" and it's Bossk. I could detail my favorite moment from every minute of this episode actually.

Who's with me on this one?

EDIT on the subject of guilty pleasure episodes, for me they're Nomad Droids and A Sunny Day in the Void. I love that there are such silly episodes to contrast dark episodes like say Carnage of Krell, and that they're pulled off so expertly.

"...chunks of ice commonly called CO-mets..."

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

It better be!!

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Guilty to finding every cross connection possible. It makes for a fascinating hobby!8-}

Circular_Logic likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth Eddie : Bounty is easily my favorite of all 108 or so episodes as well.

AkashKedavra_93 and Darth Eddie like this.
  14. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    In the spirit of when I said I could think of a favorite moment for every minute of Bounty, I will now list my top 22 favorite moments from Bounty, in chronological order.

1 That Jawa who tries to sell Ventress her Eopie as soon as she lands on Tattooine. She ignores him, and he dismisses her as a potential customer. Awesome vignette.
    2 The return of swingin' big band cantina band music. I get it stuck in my head all the damn time.
    3 "Hey lady, I'm talking to you!" "I'm not much of a talker." (I usually imagine she's about to say "not much of a lady.") and "Uuhhh compliments from the lizard in the back." Great lines, great performances.
    4 A visual reference to Seven Samurai in the form of an Embo cameo outside the bounty hunters' hideout. And when Bossk says "Shut up, Dengar!" I'm pretty sure its SW fandom talking to Simon Pegg.
    5 Boba Fett is in this episode, or at least of prototype of the Boba Fett we come to know.
    6 Major Rugoso. "My Lord, Otua Blank! He rules over this planet with an iron fishtkss." I don't know why these people can't say "fist" but whatever I like it.
    7 Boba says "You make the rules, I follow them." I can't wait to hear him say something more like "I make the rules, you follow them" in the future.
    8 So the theme of THIS planet is "underground". Kick-ass!
    9 The long panning shot from the front of the train to the back, establishing the battleground-to-be, and the way Maj. Rugoso sits and waits pensively.
    10 All of a sudden out of nowhere, this is now the ninja episode. The sheer volume of great ideas in this episode is purely stunning
    11 Dengar uses kung-fu and stickybombs as his weapons of choice? Who knew? Which rhymes with "Poodoo!"
    12 Ventress FINALLY takes out her lightsabers, slicing three assailants' swords in half right away, who each look bemusedly upon the results before being flung from the train. Never gets old.
    13 Another long panning shot from the caboose all the way back to the front, this time embroiled in chaos, Fett the Younger double-gunning down fools just like his old man.
    14 I've had the chance to meet Latts' voice actress, Claire Grant, once before. Super-nice lady, and so is Seth Green, her husband. As for Highsinger... I like how he only says "Keebla-keebla-keebla."
    15 Krismo: "I want what's mine!" Rugoso: "Over my dead body! - urgh!" Knife in the chest and he's down without a count.
    16 Krismo fights Boba and Ventress; Boba gets slapped across the face by the contents of the box.
    17 The heart-wrenching scene that takes place between Pluma and Ventress, as Krismo just sits there looking *pissed* *off*.
    18 That half-second, or maybe second-and-a-half shot of Ventress looking out the train window, and the audience knows what they want her to do, but don't yet know how she'll do it.
    19 Boba: "You have no idea who you're talking to. I've been in charge of this whole oper*hurk!* "Ventress: "You. Have no idea. Who *you*. Are talking to."
    20 Otua Blank, who only says one or two half-sentences, just comes across as one of the foulest, most vulgar beings imaginable. And of course Boba-in-a-box.
    21 Ventress' profitable defiance by returning the kidnapped girl to her people is both an act of kindness and a classic bounty hunter move. She'll fit in nicely with the underworld.
    22 "I'm not that person anymore - now I have a future." And she steps from the shadows ever so subtly into the light.

I'm sure I could think of more stuff too.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a Boba Fett fan at all and the way Ventress pwned him in this episode made it that much better for me, and it was already a great episode because it's Ventress at her finest and most badass.

Favorite five scenes:

The bar scene. The entire bar scene. Her sloshing back drinks, "What's a hot bald chick like you doing in a place like this?" and "I'm not much of a talker."

The taking out three swords at once as you mentioned.

Her choking that whiny little arrogant punk Boba and handing him over in a box.

"I'm not part of any team." No, girl, you aren't, because you are far too awesome for that.

The return of the kidnapped girl as you mentioned. Shows that Ventress is tough and also has a heart. I like that most about her.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Darkness on Umbara: Without a doubt one of my favorite episodes in one of my favorite arcs. This arc falls only behind the Season 5 Maul/Mandalore episodes as far as I'm concerned. We finally get to see some real clone action after Season 3's tiresome political episodes. Tup holding onto the gunship's handhold with both hands was hilarious; it was definitely his first battle. I'm loving Hardcase, and Fives is the very definition of "pure awesome". And Krell...Krell makes me want to shoot to kill.

17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The sci-geek in me liked one little moment that likely passed most by... when the engines died in the comet field, newtonian physics were actually obeyed. The ship remained coasting forward at a constant velocity rather than grinding to a halt! I was amazed they had the presence of mind to depict that.

Circular_Logic and pronker like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The General: Krell's evilness continues to be expounded upon, making him possibly the most love-to-hate-him villain in the series. My props to the writer for being able to create a character so thoroughly slimy that we hate him even before we know he's not a good guy. Also, I love when Fives and Hardcase are in the starfighters laughing their heads off because they can't control the ships. Also, Jesse slaps his helmet on his head.

Plan Of Dissent: A great ANH reference in Fives' conversation with Krell. Dogma annoys me a little, knowing he's one of the clones who in all likeliness will execute Order 66. Even though they disobey Krell, I don't see Fives, Jesse, Hardcase, or especially Rex executing Order 66. For example, Fives' line, "He's not like the other Jedi." So he respects the other Jedi. But maybe Krell's actions would make him more willing to execute Jedi. But Fives and Rex above all I see disobeying it. As we see from the previews it appears that Tup may go for it–and he apparently receives a false start on it, for some reason (which annoys me because this show has gone to great lengths to show that clones aren't programmed and now they make it seem like Tup's "program" is faulty and activated early, but that's another thread)–and Hardcase of course bites it–more on that later–but I'm still undecided on Jesse and Kix. Would they actually pull the trigger? On to the mission. "General Skywalker told me the trick is to hit it from the inside." Someone else said this somewhere, and I agree, I'm surprised he didn't say "told me the trick is to try spinning." Anyways, Harcase's death must resound especially for Fives because it's just like another Hevy. And Jesse had been with Hardcase since season 2, so it must hurt for him, too.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I love the Umbara arc. Those episodes and Landing at Point Rain gave a good sense that the galaxy was really at war and the Separatists were a real threat.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I think part of it was that there were Umbarans and not those scrawny little battle droids. Plus I love this arc because, like the previous episodes with Fives, it personifies the clones, makes us realize that they're people, in a similar way to Karen Traviss' Republic Commando novels (the first two or three anyways; the others were focused on getting the clones to Mandalore). In fact, I've heard people jokingly comment they had to check and make sure that KT didn't write these episodes. Me, I say of course she didn't! There aren't Mandalorians! :p (Although despite her leaving over the pacifist-Mandos thing, I think she would've had a giggle-fest watching the Season 5 episodes)

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I watched the Umbara arc last night and was struck by the sight of one simple shot taking out Krell, in the middle of another putdown of all the clones. If it were a theatrical release, it may have gotten laughter, but at home, what sprung to mind was 'yeah, one shot is all you're worth. Not wasting ammo on you.'

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Krell makes me want to shoot to kill, too. He makes me want to shoot those damn traitorous meatbag clones who shot my hero in the back.

I would have loved to see the entire 501st smashed by this thing:
    [​IMG]

and then have the leftover paste of their bodies gathered up for my consumption.

pronker likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Wow, given your username I figured you'd be a fan of clones... :confused:

24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, this is coming from someone who, and I quote, said that "clones are non-sentient mooks that don't deserve names or recognition of their individuality." :p

But CT-867-5309 's contrarian opinions can be quite entertaining.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS part 4. Meta: As do comics, TCW uses establishing shots and long shots in this season, to give a sense of proportion and scale, and I noticed that a lot in this section of rewatch. Beautiful visual storytelling! Sidenote: nearly always, Tom Kane mentions Obi-Wan's name first, as in 'our intrepid Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker with his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, brave the dangers of x to bring peace to the galaxy... ' This happens enough to be noticeable. Speaking of Ahsoka, she is just like a human, (except for appearance), not with any special Togrutan abilities like sensing things with her montrals or being a predator or having the ability to blend in with her surroundings. I guess this was done to make her more accessible, less frighteningly alien? Anyway, Miller and Traviss' books depict her more alien qualities.

• Witches of the Mist - Obi-Wan says 'this looks like the work of an animal' when he sees the corpses of the two Jedi, divorcing Savage from any sympathy. Dooku walked away from a confrontation with Ventress, but she pushed him into one and then blammo! a thoroughly fed up Opress Force-chokes the Sith Lord and the Wannabe Sith, that was neat. As Talzin gives Savage his marching orders to find Maul, we see the bruises and bloody eye that Savage got, never noticed that upon first watch.
    • Overlords - Anakin runs what looks like at least 5 miles to the Father's monastery. Obi-Wan draws his lightsaber on his old Master, jumpy but with good reason, and then seems to accept the reality of it all quickly. He bears no enmity that again, Qui-Gon is all about Anakin and no 'hey good to see you I'm sorry my last words may have hurt your feelings and pushed you into parenthood too soon' ooooh noo, but that's Qui-Gon for you. Closeup of Anakin's lightsaber shows it comes to a point??
    • Altar of Mortis - The Daughter makes witchy, wavy hands to use the Force. "ON YOUR KNEES!!" Anakin really gets into his role. Interestingly, he says 'I will never join the dark side willingly,' emphasis on the 'willingly' ... The Son manages to sound like Abercrombie voicing Palpatine at one point, oh Witwer deserved an Emmy for that alone. 'I didn't think you saw it,' from a shaken-sounding Obi-Wan, then Anakin says 'it was a giant tower! OF COURSE I SAW IT!' But um, Anakin, you looked stunned when you saw it and Obi-Wan was justified in grabbing the steering wheel. Wider range of emotions on Obi-Wan's face.
    • Ghosts of Mortis - As she dies, the Daughter's light goes out, well I guess she doesn't need it in the Blue Glowy Zone where she is now. Obi-Wan praises Anakin for resisting the dark side and asks him how he feels, this zone is one Obi-Wan needs to be in more often for his soul's sake. Anakin says he needs the blessing of the Father before he leaves Mortis, or he'll feel wrong ever after, really interesting. Loved the kiddy sized little speeder that folds away! Upon rewatch, the Father's words make sense, that the Chosen One brought balance to Mortis and now he needs to go into the larger galaxy to do the same.
    • The Citadel - This place was created for Jedi who have lost their way?? What can that possibly mean? Is it for someone so powerful that the Jedi Temple cannot hold them as prisoner? I gotta wonder. Now if Anakin had said, 'built by Jedi who have lost their way,' then okay. It's awful enough, with the torture racks, and all. Artoo prompts his Seppie droid to bluff its way into the place: 'our cargo is frozen rations' haha. The carbon freeze and all its jugnaught OT memories, pretty good. Ahsoka is overweening and begging to be shown her comeuppance, I liked her rise and then fall, attending Piell's death.
    • Counterattack - The clones, they keep on dying: 1 to a fall, 1 chopped in half by a door, 1 electrocuted, others, and then Echo ... Rex's shot to the spy camera, excellent! Sobeck gets an eyetwitch, plays comm tag with Dooku. Rex to Tarkin: 'I've worked with Commander Tano many times and I trust her!' Well you forgot that in another season or so, Rex.
    • Citadel Rescue - Stinky caves, you can practically smell the sulfur. Tarkin and Anakin agree on Jedi forbearance hampering the war effort, brrr, and then we hear Vader's theme. Droids nobly saying 'all for one, and one for -- argh!' as they 'die.' Piell, canon or not, your death was touching.
    • Padawan Lost - Kalifa, O-mer, and Jinx all have Padawan braids or beads, yet they call themselves 'younglings.' Great designs for the tree refuge and the cute little flying balls with parakeet beaks. Was it a Stokhli stick the Trandoshan used to capture Ahsoka? We get an idea of Trandoshan culture, hunting used as bonding with a terrific, chilling howl. The last scene shows Anakin as we would imagine him, poring over maps and agonizing over his loss.
    • Wookiee Hunt - Ahsoka and the rest got so dirty! Wookiees v. Trandoshans, well that rocked. Chewbacca gives Ahsoka a flying boost, neat, and so is Tarffuls in action. Sugi and her ship to the rescue, aaaand the end to the season.
    • Water Wars - Underwater animation is fantastic, a true sense of unlimited depths and weird pressure sensations and lighting. The idea of tubes for the Mon Cala to get around their cities is neat, because anyone who has ever swum in the ocean knows the currents run this way and that very strongly and why waste energy fighting the pull when you actually live down there? Ahsoka does her best to protect Prince Lee-Char *Charlie the Tuna* and be as much a peer to him as she can. Kit Fisto shirtless!
    • Gungan Attack - Boss Leonie: 'time to act now, thinking time over!' haha. Gungans a natural for this sort of ep, I really like the different matchups this show does, Bail and Jar Jar in one ep, Anakin and Mace in another. Wonderful sound effects as the ship blows up and our heroes ride the debris to the bottom. Nobody worries about the bends, artistic license okay. The clanking effects of the swirling hurricane-makers winding up for action are really effective and comic moment of Jar-Jar and Senator Mills embracing in terror was cute.
    • Prisoners - I have a real fear of sharks and Riff, although he's even more of a cackling villain than usual, gives me chills with his design and roaring attacks. Also, his feet-things somehow go sideways when he swims to make him more shark-like, haven't figured out his physiology yet. When he bites Padme's helmet is terrifying. Gungan spit as a sealant, okay. Kit tries to teach Anakin to be calm and endure torture, that goes as well as expected. Riff's end, straight out of Jaws, gruesome as you'd expect it to be.
    • Shadow Warrior - Neat to see another bongo. Padme's dress is like in TPM's action finale. Captain Tarpals dies ahead of schedule in CN's ads, pooh, we see a spoiler. Gungans are realistic about Grievous being a bodacious warrior, but take him on anyway and yay! They win. Anakin is unconscious so he does not 'meet' GG until ROTS. Queen Neeyutknee is like a little painted doll, even more than Padme did.
    • Mercy Mission - Wolffe's eye is silver and it flickers; all the clones are disrespectful to 3PO, whose metallic satin finish really looks great. Flirtatious Orphne, a great fun character who eats bugs, whee. Also, the little Aleena people ride bugs. And, they walk like toddlers. End: 'Dare to dream, Artoo, dare to dream,' aww.
    • Nomad Droids - I never watched the Droids tv show, but this is hommage? Fun idea. Artoo v. the vulture droid in air battle, wow, and 3PO's 'let's you and him fight,' regarding Artoo and someone, haha. As a throwaway, Plo rescues Adi Gallia and the droids meet up with Wolffe again. 3PO smashes King Nasty, ickily done with goo, urp. The backgrounds look Seussian and we see a WAC, hmm, later on one will play a huge role in TCW. The concept of democracy takes a beating again, sigh.
    • Darkness on Umbara - Sly Moore's people get a looksee; they are crafty and outrageously hypermechanized. Yay, Fives again! And Oddball! The glowing electric scorpions take out numerous clones. 'Extremely hostile environment,' you got that right, Rex. Dark themes on a dark planet: clones deliver several head kill shots to the hostiles. We see Krell in fighting form, terrifying. NO ONE ought to be able to best him.
    • The General - Dogma is the epitome of the company staple, the Suckup. The caterpillar attack machines have revolving turrets and a wonderful clanking sound, just like the whirlpool makers back in Water Wars arc. Rex: 'I honor the code.' Hardcase and Fives learn to fly, what a trip for them, and by extension, us. Sergeant Appo makes a brief appearance.
    • Plan of Dissent - Obi-Wan explains the difficult situation his troops are in and when Krell says 'we'll give full frontal assault, ' looks startled and says 'we cannot expect -- ' as if to dissuade this strategy, but then he fizzles out in blue static. Fives channels Han Solo when he gives 'nothing going on here, nope, nothing, how are you?' to explain all the bangs in the hangar. Rex covers for his men and says 'I gave them permission to recon the area to even more firmly support your plan, General' in an effort to butter up Krell, way to survive, Rex. Hardcase: 'I'm doing this just for fun!' re flying and then 'Live to fight another day,' oh Hardcase ... :(
    • Carnage of Krell - The brig in the Umbaran tower has a spongy floor that is lit from under, another riff on the theme of light and shadow in this arc. Friendly fire kills Waxer, I choked up at seeing his tear and earlier at Rex's desperate run to stop the carnage. Krell executed with just one shot, and despite his worthiness of the death sentence, the sight of clones killing Jedi was unsettling.
    • Kidnapped - Another neutral planet, Kiros gets taken over with no resistance by the peaceful artists. Ahsoka's sidecar has a ferocious beast painted on it, and her line 'I'm not so young anymore,' telling. Boil is in this one. Dooku shows his urgent need for revenge and dominance of his former comrades: 'Bring him to me on. his. knees.' The Zygerrians seem to have a upscale Italian accent? Darts sucks his teeth, neat animation, this show has come a long way. Obi-Wan faces Darts with the fists cocked, Marquess of Queensberry rules, oh Obi-Wan, lead with your left, then land the haymaker!
    • Slaves of the Republic - Ahsoka in a burqqa, rather disturbing presentation of slavery as this arc's theme. Miraj sees Anakin/Lars and right away is smitten and orders drinks, she is, as she says later, uncomplicated. Obi-Wan, with his black eye gotten in Kidnapped still showing, shows even more range of animated emotion: pity for Governor Roshti, and then later horrified pity for the executed Togruta upon his arrival at Kadavo. It's going to be tough on his morals to not fight back. This ep has lightwhips, heretofore only read about, happy sigh.
    • TTFN!