main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Noooo" in Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Charlie512, May 23, 2013.

1. jedi hulk

jedi hulk Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013
    I didn't mind the NOOOOOOO so much as replacing Sebastion Shaw at the end with Hayden...

Hayden C just gives a creepy look while Sebastion and Alec and Yoda felt like they were old friends...

2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I felt the 'NOOOOOOOOOOO' inserted into ROTJ just killed the mood. It was a much more powerful scene without him doing that.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I agree with this, but I think that's more a product of it being lazily done than being an inherently flawed concept.

Sophdeon likes this.
  4. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    Oh I definitely dislike the Hayden force ghost thing at the end of Jedi, more than the "NOOOO". Imagine if Obi-Wan was restored as a Force Ghost in ESB as Ewan and not Alec Guinness. After a whole bunch of adventures previously with the elder Kenobi and then losing him, Luke would've saw this younger Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan in the snow in ESB and he would've said, "who the hell are you?"

Anakin's older original Force Ghost was a glimpse at what Anakin could have been, had he been restored fully. Or had he never turned to the dark side. It was Luke and Leia's father, real father, at rest after redemption. It was a positive note. That younger guy instead...just no.

Anyway, I digress...

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I could just about, nearly, almost handle an old Hayden as the ghost, if GL absolutely had to get rid of Shaw. The young man there is an aberration.

Grand_Moff_Jawa and jedi hulk like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's odd. Still, I have seen some fantasy fiction where people become whatever age they like as ghosts (or in the afterlife).

7. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Don't like the scream? Simple, don't buy the Blu-Ray disks. I can't afford Blu-Ray as it is, so I've never watched ROTJ with that scream.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm not sure I agree with it or not, but I can understand why Anakin would have yelled "NO" when he decided to stop Sidious.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  9. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The way I see it the Anakin we knew from before burst out. In all his whiny, NOOOOO-spewing glory.

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Ahem!

11. RogueZero

Mar 17, 2009
    Like I needed reminding of that in the middle of one of the best scenes in the entire OT.

Sarge and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And that's the problem, right? Young Anakin wasn't a good man, he was a mass murderer psychopath.

Reformed Anakin =! prequel Anakin

13. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    But Anakin at the end of ROTJ would be the reformed Anakin, even though he looks like the prequel Anakin [face_whistling]

As for me, I kind of like the "Nooo"

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Young Anakin symbolizes young Anakin in visual language. It seems to me Lucas really thought that young Anakin was a good man... :rolleyes:

15. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't really care either way, if the "no" was in the original and they took it out people would complain. I really enjoy the film and this is a fairly irrelevant addition in my mind.

lbr789 and Thoix Heoro like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't.

Darth_Pevra and DarthDuckie like this.
  17. tulwinn

tulwinn Jedi Knight

Apr 28, 2011
    But did you every hear anyone complain that the scene was confusing or that it was OK but knowing the nanosecond he turned back would have really helped the scene peak?

Sarge and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is kind of thinking that has happened since Lucas continues to change the movies every 5 years. Before 1997, i never thought the movies needed changing, so this whole argument that fans would be mad if Lucas did this or didn't do this is irrelevant. It just furthers my opinion that the movies should have never been touched because it has just opened a can or worms of a debate that was never there before 1997. If they released them as a true special edition along with the originals in every box set then these ridiculous debates would end.

19. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    I don't have any huge peeves of any additions. Regardless of what anybody says, I don't believe it affects the overall viewing experience much.

That being said, Han shot first, and Hayden C, has some creepy looks man.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Shhh! Shhhhhhh! For the love of all that's good and decent, don't SAY that! GL might hear you!

21. RogueZero

Mar 17, 2009
    No, he wouldn't do that....he couldn't..

22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I hated this change from the start. The more I think about it the more I hate it. The change isn't just unnecessary... It's flat out embarrassing. Par for the course for Lucas anymore.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Couldn't? I hope you're right. Wouldn't? Don't bet your ship on it.

24. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    I know the "Nooo" bit in Episode 3 is ridiculous, but the first time I saw it, it did make me feel really emotional. Subsequent viewings, however, were humorous, especially after it became a meme.

25. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    I really thought the NOOOOOO being added to Jedi was a joke when I first heard about it and saw the clips online.

Same as the screenshots of Hayden as a Jedi ghost for the DVD's before they came out.

The joke really was on all of us, I guess

Sarge and Vthuil like this.