main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga favourite single shot in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Jun 11, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Your mention of the orange, threatening, consuming light made me think of the fireplace scene.

If you continue down this path, consume you it will!

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Just one? …Uno? I propose a compromise: two – one for each of the two trilogies.

[​IMG]
    Simple, unassuming, even forgettable when compared to grander spectacle or more dramatic moments, merely a brief establishing shot amidst a moving narrative. Yet, for me, it’s special. It’s vintage. There’s an origin-like aspect to it; a rocky, primordial, alien world as imagined by pulp cover illustrators from the 1920s, or even the 1950s. I dig the pre-dawn light matched with the starry night sky, and the image of a robed figure embarking on some dangerous quest.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, so, I’m already cheating. Whatever. I’m referencing the panning image as a whole. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere on these boards; the night setting on Endor very much evokes the camping trips of my youth amidst the Pacific Northwest or even in the Sierra Nevadas, as I’m a California kid. I love the halogen glow of the shield generator while the landing platform lights recall the secret UFO landing site at the base of Devils Tower from Close Encounters – there’s a fantastic element to it. Both of my selections depict night sky environments, where looking up to the celestial above beckons the imagination. This is after all Star Wars, is it not?

4. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
  5. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    That's it for me, the Shuttle landing with the AT-AT going for a stroll. I love the way the sky changes in tone.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Might have to call it a day on Game Of Thrones, here...looking at those ^ makes me want to watch Return Of The Jedi :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i also forgot the ESB shot of Yoda holding to the torch in the darkened distance

8. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't really have a favourite single shot. However, I'd like to contribute and post this one as my favourite shot because a I think it's easily overlooked and underrated:
    [​IMG]
    It's a shot that's almost only black, white and grey. That black "something" on the left side is actually Palpatine who sits opposite to the only source of light in that shot, the lamp. And Anakin is in the middle of those two extremes. There, it shows a burdened and ruminative Anakin in a very delicate scene just before Palpatine offers him a "solution".

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My favorite is the single shot between Han and Greedo.

What? Oh... Never mind. Nothing to see here. Move along.

10. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    These are probably my favourites, in order, one from each movie:

- The "you are not a Jedi yet" shot in ESB (which is already posted in here). That is a truly incredible piece of cinematography.
    - The shaky camera shot in ROTJ where Vader collapses to his knees during the final Luke/Vader duel. It's more the camera movement than the shot itself that sells that one, I guess. The camera shudder makes it seem like everything's going really wrong, and maybe Luke killing Vader is not a good thing.
    - The binary sunset (the iconic shot from that scene). It's a cliche, and an obvious choice, but I just can't deny how wonderful it is. Even as a 6 year old this was one of my favourite images in the world, and completely got its meaning without any words. Only an amazing piece of direction and scoring can do that.
    - The shot of all the Jedi charging at the droids in the arena in AOTC. Oh my goooooooooooood. All those sabers. A purely fanboy-ish choice.
    - So, so many shots from the podrace and the duel. I guess my favourite of all for TPM is Maul's reveal through the hangar doors. Another obvious but undeniable favourite. It's iconic.
    - Which leaves Revenge of the Sith, which while a brilliant whole, doesn't have that many stand-out shots IMO. I guess it would be the mask going over Vader's face. The moment when the legend finally arrives. That little squeak in the next shot is amazing as well. That sound, to me, is the death of Anakin. And the red eyelids going over his face is the visual representation.

But yes, from that list, the "you are not a Jedi yet" shot is my favourite from the whole saga. It's just perfect. Beautiful. It's simultaneously the scariest thing I've ever seen, the most awesome crowd-pleasing moment of the film for me, and a genuinely striking and surreal image. Incredible!

11. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Luke gazing out into the beautiful binary sunset of Tatooine. So simple, and yet so awe-inspiring. IMO the music is what made it famous, not the cinematography.

I also loved the shots they made of Coruscant from space in the PT...they did a good job on those.

In AOTC, when the modified Imperial March is playing, and the clones are all lining up and getting into the Acclamators...that whole scene I was thinking "****'s about to get real." I just wish they either had more real actors playing the clones or made the CGI more realistic.

The explosion at the beginning of AOTC.

The Death Star I and II's explosions.

YEEEEE-HAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in ANH.

The very first scene in ANH, when the world was brought into the phenomenon of Star Wars; where the Tantive IV is being chased by the Star Destroyer and you're just like holy crap this thing is huge.

In ROTS, very first shot, the whole long extended shot of the Battle of Coruscant. So freaking epic.

I HATE YOU!!!!! in ROTS

Whenever Palps smiles, like when Vader's like NNNOOOOO!!!!!

Darth Maul waiting like a badass right behind the Naboo Hangar doors. *slowly opens, dramatically raises his head to reveal his terrifying yet awesome face and cool double-bladed lightsaber, all while corn on the cob is being sung in the background...*

"Hey what are you trying to pull on us?" Owen Lars to the Jawas.

That's not even half of my favorite scenes.

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I've always loved this shot......

[​IMG]

13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

Saw the ROTS sunset on Page 1 but for the saga as a whole this whole sequence is my favorite.The music just made it even better.

14. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I chose "Not a jedi yet", but it is not hard to find secondaries.

[​IMG]

16. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    This one too :

[​IMG]

Second best :

[​IMG]

17. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Favourite single shot in the saga... I guess it's this one.

[​IMG]

One single shot... And it's in all six movies.
    It means two hours of fun ahead.

18. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
  19. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    From The Empire Strikes Back

[​IMG]

20. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I always wondered how they did that. A harness maybe?

Lando Swarm likes this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Acrobatic stunt guy and cushions below a very short drop, I think. I seem to recall seeing it done in SPFX, the vintage doco about the making of ESB (it's in the Blu-Ray set) - pretty sure the stuntman did a run-up with a few flips and basically threw himself backwards through the window.

Take THAT, CGI!!!

22. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    This is, like, the greatest thread ever. I'm saddened that I can't think of a favorite shot, but a lot of you posted some awesome ones.

23. darthwannobi

darthwannobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2013
    Luke watching the sunsets was always one my faves.

So cool to see Yoda, Obi-wan and Bail here together at the end of EP3

[​IMG]

24. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Sadly According to Leeland Chee the Lucas film employee whose Job it is to maintain continuity between the films and other SW media and Rob Coleman the prequel animation director that ship is not the Tantive IV from ANH but another ship called Sundered Heart which is a early class of ship made by the same manufacturer as Tantive IV.

Early EU material made the ship out to be the same as the one in ANH though.

darthwannobi likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is there any reason for making it a different ship? If not, I'm going to consider it the same one in my own personal canon.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.