main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you utilise The Imperial March in A New Hope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by darth_mccartney, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have it when Vader appears the first time at least. I do like the idea of it being used when Obi-Wan tells Luke of Anakin. I do like it during the duel as well. Will it be weird having and not what is currently there? Yes but I think JW could pull it off. The end of AOTC is perfect. I love how it changes from Republic March to Imperial.

2. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Briefly during Vader's first appearance.

3. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Looking back on ANH, it's pretty hard indeed to imagine the Imperial March in any segment of that movie. If I had to give a place, it would be subdued, quiet one as Vader prowls the Death Star looking for Obi-Wan.

Jedi Gunny and Admiral Volshe like this.
  4. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    At first, I was going to say have a version of it when Darth Vader first appears on the Tantive IV; however, I think the fact that the music actually STOPPED for a moment as he enters creates a far more powerful scene.

What did come to mind, however, was possibly during the interrogation with Leia. I wouldn't change the music as the droid enters, but perhaps include a short version of it as Vader enters. Another moment might be while the Falcon is trapped in the tractor beam and is entering the Death Star; however, I hate to suggest that simply because the music used for that scene is so flipping epic! The lightsaber fight with Obi-Wan, or at least the moments leading up to it, might also be appropriate, but, again, I think the fact that there was minimal music for this part made it a more powerful scene.

It's so hard to make these suggestions because you just can't tamper with perfection! :)

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the idea of the video, but I think it would be better as an undertone.
    Just needs to be snuck in during that scene.

I think it would be nice to have the same quiet rendition for Leia's interrogation, and then scattered throughout Yavin.
    I would use it very sparingly, and make it more mysterious than the original.

Kweh-chan likes this.
  6. ARAJediMaster

ARAJediMaster Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    Indeed. I believe that this theme should be included in the moment Lord Vader enters the Tantive IV, as you have said, would fit in. Perhaps it could be included when Vader marches toward Leia’s cell for interrogation, the troopers marching toward Docking Bay 94, when the officer reports to Lord Vader the Rebel attack on the Death Star. Would you concur with these moments or not?

7. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Maybe have the 'slow, menacing' Imperial March when the cell door closes on Leia, Vader, and the interrogation droid? Would require extending that scene another second or two rather than wiping immediately.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    1. When Vader first steps into the Tantive IV.

2. Having it when Vader meets with Leia and discusses what to do with his men.

3. When Vader and Tarkin meet with the other Imperials to discuss the dissolution of the Senate.

4. When Vader goes to interrogate Leia.

5. When Vader enters the hangar after the Falcon arrives.

6. During the approach to Yavin IV.

7. Having it be part of the "Battle Of Yavin IV", but mixed in with some new music to fill the silence between "X-Wings Draw Fire" and "Use The Force".

8. When Obi-wan tells Luke about Vader and Anakin.

9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Doesn't need it as the movie is a classic without it. Stop messing with the movies!!!

10. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    What he said. I wouldn't utilize it in ANH at all.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No need. The Imperial March is for when Vader is at or near his apex..ie ROTS, and TESB, when he's going around destroying thousands-of-years-old governmental traditions, throttling incompetent inferiors, or stomping the good guys into the ground in general. He doesn't do any of those things in ANH.

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Doesn't belong. Outta place. Shouldn't be there. no no no....

Carbon1985 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm another who believes that that piece has now been overused and become cliche. There was the AOTC example listed before and it also gets played in TCW every time Anakin gets the least bit irritated.

No need to add it anywhere else; leave it in ESB where it belongs.

14. Isabella Skywalker

Isabella Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2013
    I think the Imperial March in ANH is cool when Vader boards the Tantive IV, it would be awsome to hear it when he first appears :D

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    For me, I think that his first appearance would be a little better with a soft undertone of the March rather than the three-four note motif that was originally written, but other than that, we really don't see much Imperial power in that movie (yes the Death Star is technically that, but since the March seems to be associated with Vader, and we only see him for about five minutes max in the whole DS part of the film, I really think it would detract from the main concept, which is the heroes).

16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I can think of 3 areas in ANH where the theme would work: the theme in whole up to the light flurrying sound as the Tantive IV is chased down and captured by the Devastator. All shots of the interior of the Tantive IV would lack the soundtrack, including the firefight in the hallway. The theme would resume with it's full scoring as Vader enters through the hatchway.

Then the theme appears again during the closing of the scene where Leia is about to be tortured.

And finally it appears within the Yavin IV battle theme, firstly when Vader appears in his TIE fighter, and then again when the Death Start is shown closing in on Yavi, before the stuttering notes that play as Luke is just about to blow up the Death Star.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm going to have to take issue with it being in the ANH opening and Yavin IV battle scenes.

One, the March isn't really action music (IMO), yeah, it works well in Battle Of Hoth-with giant, plodding AT-ATs as the threat. The opening ANH scenes and the Death Star battle are extremely fast-moving: They're shot fast, edited fast, and have a quickness of action that the March isn't very suited for. The March is about titanic, colossal, invincible power; not nimble dogfights in space.

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think the best moment if the shots were longer would be when the Death Star begins to come to Yavin

19. Otherwise

Otherwise Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2013
    Wouldn't use it, doesn't fit ANH's theme. ANH is all about desperate actions to cobble together the men and materiel sufficient to throw a big enough wrench into the Empire's works to get the attention of bystanders - and, of course, not be wiped out when said Empire casually glances its way. ESB is when the Imperials respond "Alright, you have our attention. You're going to wish you didn't" and stop using kid gloves, making it far more suitable for the piece.

Kenneth Morgan and DarthBoba like this.
  20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Instead of finding more places to add the Imperial March, which is used to death in TESB imho, I would add in variations of the main Star Wars theme into more of the score. It's used in rare instances in most of the films. Only ANH utilises it to any frequent extent. The Indiana Jones films uses the main theme practically whenever Indy does something cool. That is the conventional norm. In Star Wars, only ANH follows this formula.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It can be composed to fit within the narrative structure of ANH. You know as well as I do, how versatile Williams is when it comes to adapting a motif into various scenes, across many films. Jabba's theme was successfully inserted into ANH, with the SE.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, in a scene that was wholly new and didn't have prior context to begin with.

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't miss the Imperial March at all but can play along. It works better as Darth Vader's theme, and to support the Empire striking back. If the introduction shot of the Death Star had been more complex, like more of a reveal as the Star Destroyer approached it, then that could have been a good place. Then it would have to be used several other times, like as Vader shot down Rebel pilots.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Funny, the march was used in TESB, ROTJ and ROTS during battle scenes. It can be easily reworked to fit ANH, just as it has with the other films. There doesn't have to be a big moment like in TESB, when we first see the Imperial fleet. Just smaller moments. For instance, Williams could compose a piece of music for the gap in the film where there's the break between "X-Wings Draw Fire" and "Use The Force". In that moment, there could be a brief statement or two of "The Imperial March" in the same way you hear it in "Prime Weapon Fires", when we see aboard the Executor with Piett saying that Palpatine has something planned and that they're to keep the Alliance from fleeing.

Seagoat likes this.
  25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I say they put it in TPM in the scene where he asks Padme if she's an angel.