main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    God, this thread is slowing my comp down so bad with all these vids. :p

Yeah, Venture Bros. definitely started out a little all over the place, but it quickly eased into a cohesive, if nonsensical, narrative. Same goes for Metalocalypse, and since everyone's posting clips, I may as well post a favorite scene of mine to convince y'all how good/funny Metalocalypse is.

Oh, and I guess slight content warning. Kinda NSFW/not safe for your sanity.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Metalocalypse still exists?? I remember watching that yearssssssss ago. I never knew they continued past 2006 o_0

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yup. There's even gonna be a so-called Rock Opera special this year, which may possibly be the series finale.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I haven't seen Metalocalypse in years, though I used to love it, so I'll have to make that another one to watch at some point. I remember being resistant to it at first, since all the commercials made it seem like a show that just regurgitated Heavy Metal stereotypes, and didn't start watching it until I found out they had Gene Hoglan as a drummer. Absolutely fantastic drummer, easily one of the best in Thrash metal (a genre that offers some serious competition). Luckily, it was a lot better than I expected.

I really love Brenden Small's other show, Home Movies, as well. Probably my favorite comedy to feature nothing but deadpan humor.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah. I hear "Metalocalypse" and I think, "Hey, first year of uni!"

Now I feel old.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    "Hey grandma, is there olives in it?"
    "In what?"
    "Lemon tarts, wrinkle ***s!"

This was my first episode of Metalocalypse, and still my favourite. I too imagined it had already finished.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That feeling when you are an electrics technician, are going to study Computer Science and Engineer, have a problem on your computer and have no idea how to fix it.
    :mad::(

Blue Screens every 10-60 minutes? Come on computer, help me help you.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The universal IT cure-all: CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought hitting it really hard was the universal cure-all? :p

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When Ben's solution fails, try Todd's.

I usually reboot the computer and try F8 to put the settings back to an earlier time or F12 to run a system repair. That's for Windows 7.

Not an expert though.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm far from a computer expert, but it's possible something is loose in your case. I believe a loose video card is a common cause for blue screens. Might be worth double checking.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's re-booting!

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  14. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Thank you for advice. If some of that had worked I would have spent a day embarrassed in a corner and started a faction to get you colors. But they didn't, and I plan to take the matter to professionals. I think this should be covered in the guarantee, and even if it isn't, I'll more gladly spend a few bucks to get it fixed than spend several days looking for the fix myself (and possibly wrecking the poor thing even further in the process).

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I always like to check the Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) to see if it has any hints -- if there are any errors suspiciously timed with the shutdowns. I was able to catch a failing harddrive on my laptop back in college that way, and transferred everything off of her the day before she died.

If it's not in there and it looks like a hardware problem, yeah I prefer to have professional dudes look at it. But because I'm paranoid, I back up important things first.

16. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    It's likely that hardware is the problem, I have taken copies of everything important (copying CKII save files is almost too easy, I have sometimes wondered why some games like to hide them so much). But it is in higher hands now.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I know people dont give the computer help lines any credit but seriously call the one for your computer. I had a tech talk me through fixing mine once when I was having similar issues.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

19. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    I already did, and he said to bring it there, it's likely a problem with hardware. Guarantee covers those.

But thanks for advice even if it was a bit late. Great that so many of you wanted to help even though I gave practically no info on the problem.

I'm using an 8-year old computer on the meantime, sweet memories of no game working on this... Wait, those memories are four years old.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    huh.

How trendy has that thing gotten that even the royal family does Dr. Who stuff? Sigh :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    More importantly, Albert II announces he is intending to abdicate! One of my favourite monarchs.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The Kings of Belgium are better never mentioned by anyone, considering what Leopold II did. [face_not_talking]

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Charles is actually kind of cool. I like what he's done with the Slow Food movement, and with changing the "males first" requirement to inherit the throne

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    One member is hardly reason to censure the entire family tree.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What does Palpatine have to say about the Egyptian president removal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.