main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That's my whole point. It's one thing to, say, speculate that Lance Briggs abandoned his crashed Lamborghini because he was trying to avoid a breathalyzer test, because if that turns out to be false, it's not that serious of a charge. Openly speculating that someone might be a murderer when they could yet turn out not to be is a bit different.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They can report on the alleged issues and report that an arrest is "likely" -- the same as ABC is doing, which they link to from their website.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    He's not doing himself any favors by reportedly destroying his own security system and cell phone.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I have a feeling that the hammer is going to fall on him very soon. High profile case, the police are going to want to make sure they have all their ducks in a row before they act

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I also have a feeling his career in Foxboro is going to become quite short. I'm not a Patriot fan, but Belcheck isn't going to tolerate everything going on with this. The Patriots aren't the Bengals.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, compare SI's handling of it -- the NBA finals get the main story treatment, but "Source: Patriots' Hernandez likely to be arrested" is atop the "top stories" sidebar, and the NFL portal has it with full top story treatment, with seven stories or videos linked, a lot of background research, analysis, everything. ESPN has the less-informative "ABC: Hernandez not ruled out as suspect" as their third story down the headlines sidebar. On their NFL portal, it's the first headline on the sidebar, but it can't break into the main "top stories" space. Apparently that Seahawks-49ers rivalry is bigger news (as are multiple fluff stories on projections for future seasons and a piece on the rise of tight ends and decline of fullbacks). It also can't break into the divisional "best of NFL blogs" roundup, the top videos, or any of the other highlighted story sections.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This. They're starting to pay more attention to it now, but all day long it was like just a sixty second "Well police are still questioning Hernandez" for like 60 seconds and then it was back to LaBronapaloza all over ESPN's various channels. Not even First Take, to the best of my knowledge touched on it today.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    PFT is reporting that neighbors heard gunshots.

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, given that it's Schapp and he's the ESPN reporter who's been there for most of the week (once ESPN stopped being the LeBron James channel), he likely had little to no sleep at that point (especially given that Hernandez was arrested around 9am EST.). Anyway, evidently Schapp did correct himself and apologize both on air and to Aaron Rodgers on Twitter, who, understandably, wasn't amused by the slip - up.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  12. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    that may be tunes, but the link isn't working. just takes me to a page on the boards that doesn't exist.

which, admittedly, could just be my computer being stupid.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Now it works.

:p

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    cool. already read it (found a way around the problem anyway). ;)

15. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Pretty dead on except for the part about the LeBron-a-thon. That could have been much worse, but thankfully the Aaron Hernandez news made that much less worse than what it could have been.

Thank you, Aaron Hernandez! :p

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you know... thanking someone for either killing someone... or obviously being involved with killing someone somehow... is kinda sick DT. even as a joke.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Lighten up, trimaj.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    just really struck me as off eeth. i mean, really think about it for a second.

*shrugs*

like i said, i know it's a joke. just one that struck me as particularly distasteful.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Welcome to the JC, n00b! :p

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, so this I didn't know which makes the "avoidance charges" for ESPN about not posting about Hernandez early slightly worse, imo.

Hernandez apparently grew up in Bristol, CT.

21. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Allegedly .

If he's convicted for it, I'll take a more serious tone, Trim.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yes, allegedly. but it's reasonably obvious he was involved in some capacity. why do all the stuff he did? why's his name on the rental car that was seen in the area? etc, etc.

23. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    So you want to skip due process and just throw the switch on the electric chair?

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    o_O

is that what i said?

and regardless, there's still a dead man.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Per Deadspin, 9 of the 10 schools on this advertised map of the new American Conference are incorrectly located. What.

[​IMG]

Darth McClain likes this.