main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga LEAST favorite SW character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jennysolo, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Minor character would be the blue Jedi in the midriff shirt. Kind of eye rolling that shades of the metal bikini factor had to be shoehorned into the old Jedi order of all places.

Han Solo for main character. I find the screwball bicker-flirting in ESB very tiring, and I share the opinion that post ANH Leia feels like a love interest attached to Han more so than a character in her own right.

CoolyFett, Samnz and VanishingReality like this.
  2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Oh, I don't mind if the story focuses on more than one character, but I do wish that what Han and Leia were doing was more relevant to the plot. Instead, it's kind of beside the point. Now, if Han and Leia were stealing the Death Star II plans or Han was helping Leia work through her anger at Alderaan's destruction while the two used the event to recruit more people to the Rebellion's side, then I would be fine and happy. And, to be honest, I think it's clear that Han and Leia don't have equal meaning to Luke in terms of how the story ends -- particularly their romantic scenes. That doesn't really affect the final outcome.

I disagree that the Han/Leia relationship gives the OT more heart. I felt that, of all the relationships portrayed in the OT, it was the most problematic. I found Luke and Leia's sibling relationship and Han and Luke's friendship to be better and more touching examples. I would say the roots of the issues of ROTJ actually lie back in ESB -- Lucas wanted to keep Han and Leia together when I think they should have been separated. Leia should have been the one leading the assault on the shield while Han and Lando patched up their friendship and took out the Death Star II. It would have given Leia more of an opportunity to talk to Luke and for them to confront her parentage together.

See, that's the thing -- I don't care if Leia and Han are part of the Jedi/Sith angle. But I do ask that they contribute to the plot. Like I mentioned earlier, why not have them steal the Death Star II plans, recruit more people for the Rebellion, work through the revelation of Leia's parentage, etc.? All of these things would be relevant to the plot and could grow their characters. Instead we get the romance which I not only find problematic, but I find myself thinking: why are you wasting our time with this? Because Star Wars has to maximize the time it has since so much happens over the course of the films. And with the romance, I find myself irritated that we devote time to something that doesn't affect the plot in the slightest (at least there are some good action scenes interspersed, though).

kainee likes this.
  3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The love for Boba Fett really makes me dislike his character. Especially in AOTC, in that movie he is just awful.

Also I'm not really to fond of the battle droids in the PT, they are just so lame. I mean couldn't GL make them actually serious?

4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    PT - Little Boba Fett. That forced evil cackle grated my nerves. Glad he was Episode II exclusive only...
    OT - Greedo. Don't really care who shot first, just glad Han wasted him...

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree with Carbon1985, almost completely. I am also not that "into" the Jedi and "the Force" and all that. And truthfully, if that was all the OT was, then I probably would've outgrown it after childhood. It's the normal characters that keep me intrigued. Han, an amazing pilot in his own right, he's not using some innate Force ability, he's just talented. And I thoroughly enjoy the relationship between him and Leia. I'm unapologetic about that. I just think those two have such good chemistry that it's a very easy relationship for me to buy into.

And I think it's the absence of these "normal" characters that really hurts the PT (well, that among other things). There is no "everyman" for the audience to relate to. It's all Jedi and Sith and weird virgin births *shrug*

I will agree (was it PiettsHat who said this?) that it was strangely lacking to not have Leia deal with the loss of Alderaan. I mean, that's HUGE. She should be all kinds of messed up over it, but they never deal with it all. Meanwhile, she's comforting Luke over the loss of a friend he just met, while she just lost her whole family, home, PLANET. It's just weird. But other than that, I *do* believe that Leia has an arc. As someone mentioned earlier, she learns to love someone more than the Big Cause--which can be argued because she basically takes off in the middle of the war to save Han Solo from Jabba. :)

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Yuzzum in the SE. Also, Weequay on the symbols.

7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Jar Jar Binks. I know it is obvious but I hate him so much. Every so often his lines make me chuckle, but only because of the sheer ridiculousness.

8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Jabba the Hutt.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd say that in past years, my least favorite character was Han Solo. (Crazy as it may sound).

BUT

In recent years, I've actually grown to really like his character.

Anyways, my least favorite now would be Admiral Motti. His snyde smugness just makes my skin crawl, and everytime I see him, I want to punch him in the face....In a way, I think he played the part PERFECTLY-but I still love to hate him! ;)

kainee likes this.
  10. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Max Rebo - for the fakness of it all
    Aayla Secura - for her horrible death scene
    Fodesinbeed Annodue - for existing

11. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    JarJar, All Gungans, All Ewoks. Padme.

I hate them so much.

Darth Dnej and The Hellhammer like this.
  12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Padme.

Never liked her and I think her name is very awkward, not to say downright dumb sounding.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    If this was any Star Wars charcter including TCW then it would be Colonel Gascon but from the films Tarkin just really annoys me with his smugness. He makes a good villain though because of his ruthlesness.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I have to agree with Darth_Belo and say Admiral Motti. Something about him just seems...greasy, disgusting, like you have to take a shower after you talk to him.

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Or just force choke him.

kainee and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Nien Nunb for me

17. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Plus she lost the will to live when her two kids were born, so she is a quitter too!

18. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    That, in my view, is the stupidest thing in the entire Saga. On so many levels I can't even begin to list them all.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    QFT.

20. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Plus the fact that it contradicts what Leia says in ROTJ! :confused:

Luke talking to Leia in the ST, "Not only is our dad a mass murderer who is tried to defeat the Rebellion, our mom bailed on us at childbirth because our father domestically abused her!" :p

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Love me some Han.

OK, least favorite:

PT: Palpatine

OT: Boba Fett

EU: Mara Jade

TCW: Ahsoka Tano

22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Just to clarify, but how is that worse than abandoning Luke to the harshness of the desert while she goes off to live with Leia in the lap of luxury?

At least, with Padmé's death in the PT, Luke and Leia are offered some amount of cover and protection because almost everyone (most importantly Anakin) thinks the child/children died with her...

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012

Once.

That is not in dispute, the problem is her manner of death. Losing the will to live when you have two kids to take care of? First, let's ignore the fact that it's a very, very stupid way for someone to die, even in a space fairy tale.
    If we put that aside, "losing the will to live" is notoriously out of character for her. She's supposed to be a fighter, not to give up, to overcome obstacles and all that.
    The problem is not her dying, the problem is the "reason" she died.

Yanksfan likes this.
  24. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Don't blame the Original Star Wars for that plot point as nobody was related to anyone until 1980. ;) These strange plot points all started with ESB when Lucas decided to make them all one happy family. The great thing about the Original Star Wars is if you watch it in the context of 1977, its the only Star Wars movie that has no contradictions.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  25. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    But this presumes that Padmé would have been able to take care of them...which she likely wouldn't have been. Given that Anakin was obsessed with her (to say the least), do you really think he would have given up on searching for her if she weren't dead? Under those circumstances, raising her children would have been exceedingly difficult and, what's worse, would have put her children in danger.

I don't think it's out of character for her to die, to be honest -- Padmé has always struck me as a martyr type and she herself says "I'm not afraid to die." When her planet is invaded, she personally has to go back and free it. When an assassination attempt is made against her, she's perfectly happy to be used as bait to lure out her attacker, when Obi-Wan is in danger, she will personally go to rescue him. She's not afraid to die if she thinks it is worth it.

And she didn't give up -- she believed in Anakin's goodness to the very end and told others not to give up on him either.

It just doesn't sit well with me that people seem to think it is a better option for her to send her son to live in poor/difficult conditions while she goes to live with her daughter as a princess. That's all.

I'm not blaming ANH -- that would be silly since nothing about Padmé is mentioned there. I think it's a Saga issue if anything.

kainee likes this.