main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Having watched that clip and not having seen the film itself in quite a while. It reminds of how much Anakin seemed to be underwhelmed at Palptines revelation. Where was the 'are you ****king kidding me! YOUR the ***hole we've been looking for for the last 2 movies!!! He might aswell have been told his next bus to work had been cancelled. Oh really? Well whatever, I'm going to have to turn you in to the Jedi council. What times that bus due??

2. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    He's conflicted because that has been his non jedi 'mentor' for years.

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I know this miserable excuse for a planet may never be ready for the Sidious Spin-off Spectacular, but it brings a tinge of warmth to my cold Nemoidian heart to know that IAN is very willing to revisit the charector.... in my dreams we see him as a Sith Ghost, first as voices in the head of one of our new protaganists.... and maybe not fully revealed or manifested untill the second or third movie. A small roll, ala Alec Guiness in Empire and Jedi... but again as a mentor/vengeful spirit....

FIGS: Dares to Dream the Dreams no Dreamers Dare....

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is exactly what I hope for in the ST. Palpatine to return as a vengeful spirit to guide the new main antagonist in a perversion of the Obi-Wan Force ghost role. I think it has a pretty good chance of happening to. Palpatine is the main overarching villain of the saga so I think he has a much better chance of appearing than people think. Also I think it there is a good chance that the big whoop-de-do that Disney is planning is going to be at Celebration Europe and Ian McDiarmid is confirmed to appear as well as Carrie Fisher.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  5. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Never seen that before! Now it's clear what the "Emperor slugs" were covering up.

7. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    [​IMG]

My Niece, Future Member of the FIGS....

8. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Wow that is an interesting image. Never seen it before. Where did you get that picture LottDodd?

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I always liked Ian's performance in the prequels. Shame he wasn't nominated for ROTS.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    It was a recent interview regarding the 30th aniversary of jedi.... Sorry, I cant find the link.... however I am positive the image is from the upcoming making of Return of the Jedi book...

11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    That's okay if you can't find the link. I just wanted to know where you found it. And it would be cool if that image is in the upcoming making of ROTJ book.

Anyways fellow FIGsers I would just like to ask what's going on lately with Ian? I mean what has he been doing lately in terms of his acting career?

12. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
  13. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    GREAT INTERVIEW!!!

My favorite quote-----

“I’m still a little optimistic about playing Palpatine again - though not hugely - because there’s those television scripts. George could never get them off the ground because he could never make it work financially, but if anyone can make it work then it’s Disney. I think there might be a glimmer of hope for me there.

“I have seen a little bit of what George put in those scripts and it sounds exciting - of course it’s when the Emperor is in complete imperial charge. There’s a lot of untapped material in that period for a [spin-off] film and TV adventures. There are many possibilities and lot to explore. I just hope I’m alive to see some of them!”

14. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    That was a fantastic interview. I especially liked how Ian McDiarmid explained why his character's voice was so well deep and guttural during the scene where he was giving Anakin his Sith name.

15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Unrelated to anything, apparently I got a "Dedicated Decade" Medal from TFN this morning..... because I have been here 10 years and my internet habits are predictable.

FIGS: THE ELDEST AMONGST YOU

16. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Good... good... *cackles*

Congratulations with your medal, LottDodd! ;) Well deserved, well deserved! ;)

In other news, I recently booked the tickets and everything else for Celebration Europe II, where I'll finally meet THE GOD in person!! :D I'm usually not into that celebration stuff, but Ian being there, not that far away from my home... I just couldn't pass such an opportunity. *dies*

I'm looking forward to it and to episode VII, of course. I still hope they'll find a way to bring Palps back. They really should. If I think about it, it has been done many times before in some of the biggest franchises: LOTR and Sauron, HP and Voldemort... in which all the villains died before and found ways to return. They could easily do a similar thing with Palpatine: some second rate villain preluding his return in eps. VII en VIIII and his final, big return in episode IX. :p

I don't think so, my old friend. ;) :p

17. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I am glad my Hubris can rouse you from your Slumber, my friend.

I agree, and not just because I am a devoted cultist, that Palpatine must in some form be a part of the sequel trilogy, otherwise it is not truly a part of the saga.... for it to work, issues and conlficts must be natural extensions and conclusions to what was introduced in the first movie. You cannot have an effective story in which the first two acts ( the PT and the OT ) deal with one story bring it to conclusion, then in the final act, go on an unrelated, wacky mis-adventure. I think the spin offs will be interesting.... you can do whatever you want tonally and story wise.... but the Sequels HAVE to be part of the Saga, which means Palpatine's machinations are still being felt through the galaxy..... I don't know if we will just have an old Holorecording, a sith force ghost, or a physical manifestation.... but deep in my marrow, I know Sidious will Return!

FIGS: OUR EGO IS VAINGLORIOUS

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Darth Sidious/Palpatine returning as an old Holorecording or a sith force ghost would be neat. I could also see him communicating as a disembodied voice to whoever the villain of sequel trilogy is going to be.

And congrats on getting your medal LottDodd.

19. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I never left, old friend. I've always been hiding in the shadows... plotting, cackling and some other evil FIGS business ;) [face_devil]

I agree with your thoughts about the sequels. They'll really have to make sure that Palpatine will not be forgotten. He's been the main villain in the series and you just cannot forget about that in the new episodes. I really hope they won't bring back Plagueis for the final episodes, making him all powerful and stuff... it would really weaken Palpatine as main villain of the saga, making him just a pawn in a greater plot.

But yeah, the spin offs could be great for such a story, there's still a lot to say about Palpatine's past...

Anyway, I just want more of Ian McDiarmid in Star Wars... let's manipulate the writing sessions and turn in into our advantage. [face_devil] :p

20. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    wow this thread is more than a decade old

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  21. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Yep the FIGS has been around for a very long time.

Cryogenic likes this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    'Tis an ancient evil. Wouldn't it just be wonderful for Ian to reprise his role? Maybe not in episode 7 but surely in a spinoff.

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    I would love to see Ian reprise his role in a spinoff film. That would be completely and utterly awesome.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    This would have been a double post, now it is designed to whet your appetite for the interview below.

FIGS: Mouth Watering!

25. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002

He does a bit of the laugh!!!!!!!!

FIGS: Forever!

heels1785 likes this.
  26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting.