main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga LEAST favorite SW character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jennysolo, Feb 6, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    All you listed are more reasons why it makes no sense for her to lie down and die - literally.
    In all fairness, it simply boils down to the fact that I think it's a very stupid way to have someone die by saying "medically she's fine, but she has lost the will to live" that's just...bah.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Hmmm? I'm not seeing how the reasons I listed support your point.

Plus, Star Wars is a fantastic, mythology-based universe. And you're also presuming that the droids words can be taken at face value which I think is deceptive. I think it's more complicated than that (playing into the theme of symbiosis), but it illustrates the limits of technology.

I'm not saying you can't think it's "stupid," but I don't really see the alternatives that are proposed as better in any way. To me, they're generally worse.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be far better if in fact it was Anakin who killed her.

But, to each his own, I guess.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I remember seeing an interview with Lucas about this plot point, and he said that he could not make Anakin kill her, so she did die from the will to live. He said that if Anakin killed her, then he would be too much of a monster.

Now I disagree with that because that was the point about the dark and side and would have mirrored ROTJ ending perfectly. Anakin loses it and succumbs to the darkside on Mustafar and kills his wife, while Luke succumbs to the darkside and tries to kill his dad, but stops halfway through. This shows that Luke was essentially the stronger character of the two.

Sarge and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To me it would have been far better if Anakin had no involvement in her death at all, if Palpatine had killed her and blamed the Jedi for it.

As it is, it looks like Lucas tried to appease two groups of fans, those who wanted Padme to die at Anakin's hand, and those who didn't.

And it just made Anakin look stupid and Padme look weak.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I like it the way it is precisely because Anakin is responsible for her death (his actions are directly what caused her to die), but he didn't willfully kill her. Although I don't necessarily agree that if he had killed her, it would have made him too much of a monster (all things considered -- he does far worse things).

But I've always liked the way it plays out in the film because it shows that while Anakin does love Padmé, the Dark Side makes him lose his way. I also appreciate how it parallels Luke and Anakin's relationship -- he hurts both Luke and Padmé, but they don't lose faith that there's still some remaining goodness remaining inside of him. That's just the way I look at it though.

kainee, mes520 and minnishe like this.
  7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    that is true, but what made it so great was that is was obviously part of a much bigger story, from Uncle Owen's to Bens words, I actually imagined a palace battle very like the one in Ep1 on the way home Xmas 1977 and was amazed that my imagination was the same as the back story

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    My least favorite is Anakin. The character just doesn't do it for me and it doesn't help that I don't particularly like Hayden's portrayal. I'm sure that's not the most popular opinion, but it is what it is. I guess a lot of that goes back to what was said earlier in this thread by Carbon and Yanksfan as well - I'm just not overly thrilled with the Jedi/Sith aspect. Luke may fall into that category, but his journey has more of a "coming of age" feel to it - he starts out as an average Joe and he ends up achieving great things. It's not so much about the strict Jedi religion and the rule of the Sith that we see with Anakin and the PT. Anakin starts out with this huge prophecy weighing on his shoulders and he's instantly thrust into this superhuman realm that I always found difficult to get into.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed 100% HanSolo29. Luke was great to get behind, Anakin not so much. I like Anakin in ROTS but feel disappointed in him in TPM and AOTC. Biggest character disappointment in the PT to me. If we had early ROTS Anakin for the whole PT I would be fine with him.

For my least favorite character, hard to say. I like everybody but would probably pick Jar Jar.

10. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    It's interesting you say that, because I had the opposite feeling after ROTJ, as I wanted the ST and didn't really care about the PT. I wanted more adventures of Luke, Leia and Han (in their prime) if Lucas would have made the ST in the late 80's as originally planned.

Now one of my friends growing up who was another big SW fan wanted the PT first and then the ST, as he was fascinated with Vader's character. In the end, were all SW fans, but it is interesting how each one of us grasps on to one specific character or storyline during the OT that led us to how we feel about the PT and ST. Luke was always my favorite, and I really hope Abrams gives him a good arc in the ST.

kainee likes this.
  11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    oh yes I agree.... I always loved Obi Wan Kenobi and Alec has my fave line in the whole Saga...'If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine'...... no about that irritating creature from Sullust (from my joint fave to least fave character)

12. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    This also reminds me of what PiettsHat said regarding Leia's character development being 'compromised' in ROTJ. In my opinion, she was 'ruined' by making her the Other, but then not really developing that point, only as a catalyst to get Luke mad enough to kill Vader. It's like drg4 brought up before; how did Leia feel about Vader being HER father? None of that was explored. Leia in ROTJ, to me, is exactly how she would have ended up character-wise were she NOT Luke's sister.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why I wanted Vader and Leia to be able to hash things out in ROTJ. Pull an ROTJ Infinities and have Leia sneak onto the Death Star to rescue Luke and have all 3 escape together. Or change the battle to be conquering Coruscant and Luke gives himself up and Leia and the rest come to rescue him or something along the lines of DE 1.

mes520 and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I don't think the argument has ever been that Han should die because he's extraneous. There are always extraneous characters in anything. They don't all need to be killed off! But Han is a very major character in SW - far more so than Chewie or Lando or the droids. I think the argument was that if a character that major had been killed off early in ROTJ, the audience would be thinking that anything is possible, giving the film something of a hard edge, rather just being the uber-happy ending, everyone's related to everyone, let's all get married and have babies affair that it was.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't agree with that argument either, but it does make more sense. This isn't really on-topic, though.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Jar Jar Binks
    Jabba

17. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Jar Jar Stinks

Carbon1985 likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I can't argue with anyone who picked Anakin, Jarjar, or Padme.

What really bugs me is how INconsistently annoying Threepio can be. Most of the time he has awesome comedic timing and delivery, but his constant complaining in the escape from Cloud City and his really horrible lines in the Geonosis battle make me want to hit the mute button. "This is such a drag!" makes me nauseous.

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't agree with that argument either, but it does make more sense. This isn't really on-topic, though.

Yep. I don't like this character because he's not dead probably has no place here!

20. ScruffySmuggler

ScruffySmuggler Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2013
    Jar Jar. Hate him.

21. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    There are very few characters I actively dislike but here's the ones I can think of:

Dexter Jettster - an unashamed plot device character that doesn't even get a mention either side of his scene to justify his presence. He turns up, unleashes a massive infodump, and never appears again. Pointless character that even isn't a character, he's just George Lucas' pen.

General Grievous - apart from the funny moments when Anakin and Obi-Wan make fun of him, he's just a distraction in a film that already has more than enough going on. Dooku, Gunray and Sidious (in his hologram form) lost screen time until Grievous' death and could have easily covered everything themselves without him.

Jabba the Hutt - implausible character to me, given that it's clear throughout ROTJ that he's a great blob of nothing that has absolutely no way of defending himself, and is killed in about five seconds by a skinny female human once she decides to do it. How exactly did he become a crime lord?

Bib Fortuna - ugh. Just nothing interesting or appealing about him, and wastes what seems like about 10 minutes pulling faces and going "you wanna wonga".

EV-9D9 - The idea of a sadistic droid doesn't really make sense to me. It's the only one we see in the whole saga and feels weird.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I was reading the 'Star Wars Annotated Screenplays' and this whole subject was discussed in-depth between Lucas and Kasdan in 1982 and it makes total sense if Lucas stuck with it for Episode III. Originally, Owen was Ben's brother, and Padme doesn't die at childbirth. Because of their fear of having 2 force sensitive kids grow up together and being a danger to the Emperor/Vader, they decide to split them up. Owen takes Luke from Ben, and Padme takes Leia to a remote island (not Alderran). Padme dies a few year later from some disease, and that is when Kenobi takes Leia to his friend Bail Organa on Alderran to adopt her. That is the only reason that she ends up living in royalty, essentially because Padme died a few years later, and Kenobi only trusted Bail Organa at that point since he had no friends left after the Empire took over.

23. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    OT: Let's see...

Jabba

Boba Fett

C-3P0

24. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    C3P0 was way more annoying than JarJar Binks. Didn't know when to shut up...

25. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    But Leia turned him off in the Falcon in ESB when they were evading the Empire through the Asteroid Field. There was no way to turn off Jar Jar! :p