main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think that would be my sole concern. It has become rather fashionable to hate on post-1983 Star Wars.

2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    From what I heard John Williams is on board, so it WILL sound like a SW movie. And as for the look, the OT and PT use two different sets of special effects, did you complain about that when the PT came out? The OT uses real locations and model ships for special effects, whereas the PT are mostly CGI environments CGI effects. Now I am not hear to argue which set of effects are better, because it is all opinion, but the 2 trilogies look vastly different when watching them episodically.

You probably should posted your fears about the look of SW maintaining an episodic flow in 1997-98. ;)

I actually think that the ST won't be as criticized as the PT. I think there will be a huge irony during the release of the ST (as I am starting to notice it here on these boards) that the bashers will probably be the 1-6 crowd who didn't want this to upset the Anakin story arc. And they will feel that the OT crowd will not be as tough on the ST simply because it has Luke, Leia and Han in it.

These are my feelings towards each group:

-Fans like myself who love the OT, enjoy the PT, and looking forward to the ST will probably not bash the ST unless it is really bad.

-Fans who love the OT, didn't like the PT, will go into the ST will no expectations. If its bad, then they wont bat an eye as they are used to it by now, and if its good, then they will be pleasantly suprised.

-Fans who love the OT/PT (1-6 crowd) will be the toughest on the ST because this could contradict the 1-6 Anakin arc by possibly having a new Sith? a new chosen one? Which would make the PT story of Anakin being the Chosen one and The Emperor being the final sith to destroy to bring balance to the force less relevant now when watching the Saga 1-9.

Episode Swag likes this.
  3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    CGI yadda yadda yadda.

Vthuil likes this.
  4. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    For me the biggest fear has to be shallow character development/weak story and being heavy handed with the CGI. I would like to see a nice balance between practical effects/CGI.

Sean Sinclair and Carbon1985 like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding CGI and the PT... it's been said many times, but the PT also had a lot of physical sets and practical effects too.

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

As you've already said, it's been said many times. some people refuse to hear the truth. 6 words; head, wall, banging, brick, against, your.

FRAGWAGON and eht13 like this.
  7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Certainly the natural progression of such things.

Interesting thought about a similar discussion in '79. I certainly can't argue the greatness of ESB!!! I suppose similar feeling about a new director and such would have come up (I was 6 then, so I am thinkning about this as present day me in '79!). However, I would also have felt safe in the sense that GL was still the boss.

True, we dont really know what GL's involvement will be, but certainly less than the previous 6, but who knows until it happens.

8. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I do remember hearing about a Sequel to Star Wars in late 78? Maybe summer of 1979? And I thought it was a bad idea because I kept saying to friends, "How do you top the highest grossing movie of alltime?" Most of us thought it would be the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han Part II in a sense of the way a James Bond movie was at the time, where they were on a seperate adventure, etc. I expected more of the same things from the original, and really wasn't juiced about it. I was shocked when I saw it in the theater in 1980, because it took the whole movie series and made a left turn with it and was something nobody expected. I highly doubt the ST will do that, because I don't think studio's have the guts to do this in movies anymore as they seem to play it too safe.

Episode Swag likes this.
  9. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm actually hoping that they will throw us a curve ball or two, turn it on it's head, give us some more surprising revelations. And if I'm honest, I think they will, maybe not in EPVII, but by the time EPIX ends we will all view the saga differently once again. (similar to how when I watch RotS followed directly by ANH, when Vader first walks in I now see Anakin... similar, but not the same as). They've certainly got a talented enough writer in Arndt IMO.

I love my SW but I think the ST will need some twists to keep it fresh (and gagging for the next episode =P~).

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    iam very pleased Mr Williams is on board, and i really dont mind if the third trilogy has another different textual feel as per OT and PT - infact that would be good, as long as it is still identifiable as part of the same Lucas inspired story and not fanboy homage/crit. Things like if there is not the far far away caption at beginning/scroll/ non dialouge ending etc

11. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Lando to Han/Leia's son, "No...I am your father! It was just a weekend trist between your mom and me on Cloud City!"

:eek:

StoneRiver and Sean Sinclair like this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Me neither.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i quite like this thought 1 - 9 the story of the Skywalker family from slave to Galactic royality

14. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    My worst fear would be to see a film that follows recycled villains, and takes off the story of Star Wars in the wrong direction.

Like in the EU, their is always potential for over-saturation and dilution of the saga and besides, their are a number of things that could go wrong, despite everyone wanting it to go right.

I really hope that GL set out the story straight for Kathleen Kennedy and Michael Arndt to follow, and told them what could and could not be done.

15. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    My biggest fears would be how it connects with the story we already have and the cinematography. In my eyes, they have got to make this new trilogy a necessary chapter in the saga. If they just come off as a set of unnecessary side stories or God forbid filler stand alone movies then no one is going to care for them much. They will be far less significant when compared to the other films.

Also, no shaky cam during the action scenes. A clean camera shot is a lot of what made the fights in the SW movies such a thrill and pleasure to watch.

Oh yeah, as others have said in this thread they need to take risks when it comes to characterization. Do things that we won't expect, things that no one else does in other movies these days. Give depth to the characters, make them feel human. Of course Arndt could very well have made a script with this in mind, but will the actors deliver?

Here's hoping it all works out.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Boy, you said it!

JainaSoloYJK, Granger, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I'm afraid the heroes are going to be all force users, with no normal guy for us to relate to (like Han).
    It would be nice if they changed things a little from the Prequel Trilogy and decided to use a female force user lead and a regular guy.
    I hope the characters are as relatable as the ones from the OT.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Luke was in episode 3 so Luke's story starts there :)

Out of interest, would it be cooler if it was Anakin 1-6, Luke 3-7 (or 3-8, or 3-9), New 7-9?
    At least then there would be some kind of continuity, with various overlaps in the protagonist's story?

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want to see an ESB type ending, where the villains are looking like the ultimate bad asses. In fact, even better. A situation where you think the heroes are down and out and there's no way of them winning in the end. Maybe Luke is thought dead. Maybe Han, too. And make it seem like the new Jedi Order is in danger of disbanding and that there's no hope for the New Republic if it does.

Bottom line is, I want to see an exciting and sad storyline that blossoms into a fulfilling and heartwarming finality bigger than the other two trilogies.

20. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't want this to turn into a Spiderman, DarkKnight type feel. It will become just like any other movie out there. I want it to have its own feel, stay true to the OT.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah, that's what it ORIGINALLY was, and back in the 70's and 80's, I think even Lucas imagined the PT as nothing more than a backstory, however now it has become as central to the saga as the OT, and I'm sure as the ST will. Do you want a 9 part saga, or a 6 part saga with a tacked on tumor trilogy?

Visivious Drakarn and VMeran like this.
  22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    One of the things that I believe GL did in set-up for the ST was the placement of Hayden into the ghost scene at the end of ROTJ. For better or worse, Hayden is the face of Anakin. Personally, I dont dislike him as many seem to, but either way I believe that putting him in ROTJ was meant to bridge the audience into the future of Star Wars with the familiar embodiment of Anakin. I agree that the explanation of why Anakins ghost is young Anakin is weak, but making the adjustment at that point creates a better consistency later in the ST should Anakin show up. It would make even less sense for ROTJ to show Shaw in the ghost scene and Hayden in the ST.

The PT was backstory until the films were actually made. Once that happened, that part of the story became just as important as the OT in terms of the overall events of the saga. When the ST comes out, an appearance by Anakin will bridge the PT into the ST, with the OT as the common ground in the story. It's one story.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I suspect you may be correct.

VMeran likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Hayden C. has been conspicuously quit. Or, has he? I haven't been checking on him.

25. The_Slilent_One

The_Slilent_One Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    If they do keep EU characters, the two i would most want to see is Anakin Solo and Tahiri. My fear is if they do so they will butcher the characterization. The idea of star-by-star being erased from the records is very appealing to me (yes i know it is very old news but i'm still hurting from that burn :p )

That being said i generally prefer to keep an open mind about it, the new movie will never have the same feeling as the OT simply because of the passage of time and expectations.