main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Love for Episode I Darth Sidious?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by King Terak, May 25, 2013.

1. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    It's my understanding that Lucas doesn't even read the novels and when it comes to their approval (and also that of the movie novelizations) he has an employee read the content and forward him anything that he might not like or that might be questionable (such as character traits or anything that directly contradicts what he has done or wants to do in the future).

The following is quoted on Wikipedia:

In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:

There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the
    parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.

Further, in an August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"​

LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."​

DarthDuckie likes this.
  2. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Well he had a much smaller role in ep 1, so, its hard to really judge.

3. Darth Jahan

Darth Jahan Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2013
    Darth Sidious is personally my favorite character in all of Star Wars. So yes, I share your opinion.

4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I enjoy the majority of shadiness we see of Sidious in Ep 1 rather than the other two. We mainly see him in a hologram image most of the movie; hardly ever do we see him in person in the first film. I enjoy the good one liners he gives to the Viceroy as well as Maul. I share in your favoritism.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    For me, Sidious is a less is more kind of character. When used too much he can become unintentionally comical, much like Yoda. So I would agree that Ep 1 Sidious works well.

6. Camarasaur8

Camarasaur8 Jedi Master

Mar 24, 2013
    Episode I Sidious is also my favourite-I'm a huge fan of McDiarmid's Palpatine in general but the pure, no-nonsense evil that he emits in TPM is my favourite take on the character. He became a little more...panto and foppish for want of a better word in RotS, but here he's just a shady dude who strikes fear into everyone who meets him. There's no cackling, no my-little-green-friend moments, and he's overall far more badass here in my opinion. He barely says anything, and whatever he does say oozes with quiet yet devastating manipulation. "I want that treaty signed..."

DarthDuckie likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ian was one of the best things about the PT.

8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    This. He was such a great choice of an actor for the role he played. Casting him was genius.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah, there were definitely some parts in Episode 3 with Sidious that were unintentionally humorous. Coughunlimitedpowahcough.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  10. Camarasaur8

Camarasaur8 Jedi Master

Mar 24, 2013
    I always chuckle a bit when he starts whimpering as Yoda begins to overpower him in the Force fight.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was the other way round- which was why Yoda's the one that gets hurled off the Senate pod.

12. Camarasaur8

Camarasaur8 Jedi Master

Mar 24, 2013
    If I remember correctly it was a bit of both, much like the 'magnet effect' when both Ben and Anakin were trying to push each other on Mustafar and then both went flying. When the shockwave occured, Yoda fell to the floor, but Palpatine managed to grab on to the pod as he fell back.

13. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I thought he was just kind of screaming like he was in pain because Yoda was redirecting the lightning on him. I don't think Yoda overpowered him in the force fight that's why Yoda decided to run, because he knew without his lightsaber he couldn't defeat him.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I think it might have something to do with Yoda's size as well.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Size matters not :D

16. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Although in situations such as this, a longer arm wouldn't hurt! ;)

d_arblay likes this.
  17. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Less is more. He was also The Phantom Menace.

18. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Indeed. Even the title of the movie was based off of him.

19. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Also, his role was huge. He was responsible for the events of the movie and everything that followed.

20. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    He was responsible for everything bad that happened to the Jedi order. He orchestrated it all and played it like a chess game.