main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I saw that information on Kershaw- something about 170 mil, or in that range. Big money.

Been looking forward to this series (we go to LA at the end of the July for another 2)- tonight is the better of the two pitching matchups (Ryu-Hughes), even though Kuroda is tomorrow. We took series from Colorado and Arizona, and then got destroyed by the Mets. Hard to predict this one.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG] As disappointing as it is for tonight, there is a certain charm about a doubleheader.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Few things are more disappointing than a rain out in a road game when it's nice and sunny at home. It's happened to the Mets half a dozen times this year.

Amazing.

4. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    Joe should throw Kuroda against Ryu and Hughes against Capuano. But what do I know.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Meh.

I'd agree with you 100% if it was a traditional doubleheader. I wish those would come back. Hell, I wish every team scheduled at least one traditional doubleheader at home each season.

But day/night doubleheaders? Meh. Meh to the Meh Degree.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Back to back doubleheaders are the way to go. It'd be a lot of fun to attend one of those. But that just sounds bad.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

What's your issue with the day/night doubleheader? :p As I see it, having 2 baseball games scheduled during 1 day, regardless of the time, is inherently a good thing... for the fans, anyway.

Speaking of the day/night doubleheader, the Dodgers split their trip to The Bronx yesterday, losing the afternoon game, yet (obviously) winning the night game.

Hanley Ramirez went 4-4, but that afternoon game for the Dodgers was summed up by this:

[​IMG].

2 errors on one play!... courtesy of Ronald Belisario (the Bums had a total of 4 errors during the game). Of course, losing (6-4) isn't a cause for positive thinking, but, the sight of Yasiel Puig having an at bat against Mariano Rivera in the 9th made for great theater.

The night game went a hell of lot better for the Bums, as they won 6-0... the highlight of that game:

That's Puig hitting a solo home run off the first pitch he saw in the 5th inning... it was a rare one sided victory for the Bums, but they still are 10 games under .500. If they want to change their fortune/become a serious threat in the N.L. West, then they'll need to do extremely well over their next 24 games (20 of which are against divisional opponents).

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Bucco's are 17 games over .500. Some break up the Bucs! It was kind of fun to see Brandon Inge hit his first home run in 2 years.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The Bums have a modest 4 game winning streak going (the last 2 coming against those despicable Giants), highlighted* by this play which ended the game:

Welcome back, Matt Kemp! :D

*along with the Bums scoring 4 runs in the 6th inning.

[​IMG]

League still stinks, though... came into the game in the 9th with a 6-3 lead, left with Giants having cut into that with 2 runs scored.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, the Indians gave up 18 runs yesterday, and still won both games of their double header. :cool:

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Winners of 8 games out of their last 10, the Bums are starting to make a serious run now to not only get to & above .500, but at the division lead as well. Only 4 games out of that top spot now.[face_praying]

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    And coinciding with the rise of the Dodgers, the Yanks have lost 7 of 10 (four in a row), are six games back of Boston and only 2 games out of the cellar.

A-Rod, Jeter, Granderson, and Pineda cannot get here soon enough.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I will wake up on July 1st, and the Cleveland Indians will be in first place.

That's kind of awesome.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey same here but with the Pirates! Internet high five!

Darth McClain likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Just found out today that A-Rod is playing a rehab game here in Charleston for the Riverdogs tomorrow. It's going to be a madhouse, especially because an 8-year old child with ADHD drew the city/traffic plans for the city.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
  18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Nomo's no-hitter got that out of the way early for Coors Field, and it happened well before the humidor came along. It's one of those things that could have taken decades to happen, if at all, but there it was all of two years into the place.

I really wish the channel had Game 5 of the 2001 division series between Arizona and St. Louis. I have never seen any footage of Reggie Sanders' home run in that game. I don't remember why I couldn't watch the game, but I know I didn't sit down to watch it until the 9th inning, just in time for Arizona to win it. I've wanted to see that home run, but have never found it available anywhere.

Paul Molitor's 3000th hit ought to be there if Wade Boggs' is. Boggs barely got over the finish line, (home run or not) while Molitor sped past on a triple, in the midst of a 200 hit season.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd imagine/hope that with time that more & more games would be added, but at least it's a start.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bobby Bonilla got his annual million bucks from the Mets yesterday, which will continue through 2036.

KnightWriter likes this.
  21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I know it's a big joke, and I make fun of it all the time (Bonilla is the second highest paid outfielder on the Mets this year...behind Jason Bay). But the payout to him ultimately led to David Wright. The money they saved on his buyout freed up enough payroll for them to trade for Mike Hampton. And when Mike Hampton left for the wonderful schools of Colorado, the compensation pick they received became David Wright. Would be nice if all the Mets decisions worked out half so well.

Amazing.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthTunick, thoughts on Dodgers trading for Marmol today?

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    He could be a good change of scenery candidate. But at this point he might be too much of a head case.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  25. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The Cubs are making a lot of interesting moves today. As part of the Scott Feldman deal with the Orioles, they received $400,000 in international signing money (which apparently can be traded, who knew?) and I just saw on the MLB Network ticker that they traded a minor league player to the Astros for international signing money. Either they have something big in the works or they're looking to stockpile young international talent. Not coincidentally, today is the first day 16 year old international players can be signed.

Amazing.