main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah I'll go for Hendo too although I don't have strong feelings in this one.
    He's just such a grizzled warrior, it's nice to see him win.

2. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    Eesh. Had the first two rounds to Hendo. Hate split decisions.

Really bad loss for Roy Nelson. Inexcusable.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Especially given that was the last fight on Nelson's contract.

4. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Sucks to see Big Country perform so poorly....I know Dana White doesn't like him...i forsee him moving to Bellator soon....or WSOF

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    Oh he hates Mazz. Long history there, same with Kim Winslow.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    oh really..lol
    I don't watch enough mma to know who is good anymore.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Only saw the Big Country fight... When his opponent has much faster hands, he's a fish out of water.
    He made a big mistake chasing that guy from the get go too.
    No one can doubt his toughness though, damn.

9. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    @rum All the more reason to get into the discussion! Were not trolls here, we don't bite, were fans and enjoy the discussions.

Kiki I love Roy Nelson, but that fight definately showed where he stands in the division. Hes a great fighter, has great BJJ and great hands, but against a more skilled fighter at a higher level, with a gameplan....he does not look well. I think the statistic for him in the UFC right now is 0-4 in fights that go the distance.....

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think they'll be OK. My job is in immigration here in SC, and we grant proxy numbers for temporary work visas in place of SSNs. I'd imagine our laws are a little different, but there has to be a way to satisfy all parties if this has been skirted in the past.

There would be hell to pay in the press if the first UFC on the new Fox Sports 1 channel were nixed.

JangoMike likes this.
  12. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Nice to see King Mo in the winners circle! Rampage VS Kingo Mo!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN BELLATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Josh Rosenthal got busted for selling dope (LOTS of it) and picked up 37 months in the pokey.

Fans of the sport know him as one of the best refs out there. Actually one of three good refs I can name, along with Big John and Herb Dean. Miragliotta no longer makes the cut. Guess this means more face time for Yves Lavigne and Kim Winslow..bad news for the fighters.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well that sucks. Hopefully some fresh refs that are competent can come soon.

While I'm at it, any thoughts on Griffin and Bonnar in the UFC HOF?

15. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    They both deserve the UFC HOF for sure....HOWEVER.............the UFC Hall Of Fame isn't really relevant to the sport of MMA, per se.....just as a promotional tool for the UFC :/

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If it weren't for them, I'm not sure we would even be talking about UFC today, so I agree.

True on the promotional tool. On the other hand, Dana seems to be able to get over himself and induct people he may not necessarily like, such as Tito Ortiz. I can't see Vince McMahon and the WWE HOF doing that with say, Randy Savage anytime soon.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly right, Juliet. Great point.

Go watch a UFC event before TUF1- Dana and the Fertitas took over a clown show, and that fight is to the UFC as the AFL merger was to the NFL. The league may have existed, but it'd be unrecognizable to us today.

The wrench in this is the PEDs Bonnar got busted for in the Silva fight. Some will bring it up, but I think he has every right to be a HOFer.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Griffin/Bonnar got me in the door as a UFC fan. I'd seen some early UFC stuff with Ken Shamrock due to him being in the WWE, and while some of it was good, it wasn't enough to make me seek out beyond him or the current UFC product the way Griffin and Bonnar's bout did.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I got in even after that, with Tito-Liddell 3. But having gone back to watch some of those events, sure, there were the Shamrocks, the Gracies, but then there was Pride, who had a monopoly on the biggest stars: Severn, Cro Cop, Hendo, Fedor, Wandy, Frye, Rampage, and Sakuraba.

When the UFC left the Tank Abbott days behind and changed its image into a sport for the top athletes in the world, the league transformed, and offered an alternative for elite American fighters to Pride. Of course, the help from the true visionaries and business geniuses at the helm are just as deserving of praise.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Tank Abbott... The less said, the better.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez lightweight fight for 10/19 UFC show in Houston official.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh man. That has the potential to be a classic, but equally a total dud. All depends on what Diego Sanchez comes to play. Gil should win, but it's a difficult matchup, stylistically.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Any picks for the title fight tonight?

JangoMike
    Juliet316
    Kiki-Gonn

I like Anderson Silva by 4th round TKO, I do think that Weidman will win the first round and once he gets hit, his pace will slow. See the Damian Maia fight.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Silva will win, but Weidman will give him a fight. I could see this going all five rounds though.

25. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah, he could lose but at this point how do you pick against Silva?

Juliet316 likes this.