main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting stat just popped up on the twitter- the top 10 ATP rankings the last time Roger Federer was not in the Quarters at Wimbledon was:

1. Federer
    2. Roddick
    3. Coria
    4. Ferrero
    5. Moya
    6. Agassi (!!)
    7. Schuettler
    8. Nalbandian
    9. Henman (!!)
    10. Grosjean

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Interesting thing about Lukas Kubot. His career high ranking is only 41 yet his slam results have been far better than that. This is his first quarter, he has also made 2 slam Round of 16(one at Wimbledon and one 1t Australia) and has made the 3rd round at the other two slams before. Definitely an odd amount of grand slam success for a player that has never been ranked above 41.

3. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    two ridiculous forehands by Del Potro to wrap up the match! 5-5 in the tiebreak and Ferrer plays 2 great points but Delpo finished each with two rifle forehands.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Novak blasted 16 aces to Berdych's 6, with 9 coming in that big first set. That's huge. Del Potro will give him a really good fight- neither of them has dropped a set all tournament.

5. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm definitely watching the Polish battle right now. If Verdasco can make it interesting in anyway I may flip over.

6. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Verdasco takes the first set over Murray 6-4

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I was just about to tag you to flip the channel. :p

8. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Verdasco playing amazing. Murray pushed his heart out in that game but Verdasco delivered the goods.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Woah. Murray holds serve to start the third set, good sign. I hope he comes back, I want to see him play Djokovic.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Murray rolls through the third set, 6-1. Verdasco holds to start the 4th.

11. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Great show of sportsmanship between Janowicz and Kubot. JJ overcome with emotion after the win. They said he wanted to go to Australia in 2012 to try and qualify but didn't have enough money for the plane ticket, now in the Wimbledon semis.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Augh, blasted Courtcast, I don't get to see stuff like that. Well he's certainly on the radar for the slams now!

13. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Murray on shaky ground here. Not playing well at all.

14. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Murray trying some gamesmanship now.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Murray breaks!

And we're all square at 2 sets. Surely Murray's got the momentum and wins this..

16. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    ah good ole Coria. He and Nadal played the best clay-court match ever in the 2005 Rome final (quality wise). Both guys hit their hearts out.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I was never aware that Rainer Schuettler made it as high as 5th in the world, or that he was this highly ranked in 2002. Was tracking the game much more closely back then, because I was still playing high school tennis, and Sampras was putting the wraps on his career.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is a great match. kw, if you kind of squint you can pretend that murray is playing nadal.

KnightWriter and Yoda_S like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Lol.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Can't see it live, but I can imagine that most of Western Europe can hear that crowd right about now.

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    And Murray is still British.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't get that tweet

edit: oh wait I get it. I don't find Simmons comment funny in the slightest. He cares about potential basketball prospects who can barely dribble and can't give respect to some of the best tennis players in the world.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Edit- Not much of a fan either, although he was good on NBA Draft night.

24. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Big win for Murray. You could tell he was on edge because he tried a variety of things to attempt to throw Verdasco off his game, some of which not tennis related. Verdasco is not good in the tight moments because he plays a high risk game. On some of the biggest points Murray literally did nothing but retrieve balls, not sure how big of a fan I am of that but it worked in the end.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Murray clearly struggled in the match, but a test like that is exactly what he needed to go through. Verdasco played very well, this tournament will no doubt help his ranking.

It seemed in the first set especially Murray struggled to cope with a left-handed server, he himself said it was the first time in 2013 he had to play a left-hander and he clearly didn't adjust properly at the start of the match.