main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me that strongly dislikes Mace Windu and thinks he is overrated as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CommanderTano96, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, Rogue Planet paints Mace as more relaxed than Yoda- and something of a jokester.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I hear he's pretty good at foot massages too. He don't be ticklin' or nuthin'...

3. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    He got thrown out of a window for that as well. What is it about him and windows, somebody should tell him it would be easier to use the door.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    When one starts making jokes about a character's death, that tells me that person doesn't like the latter. Does that mean if I dislike a character - say Yoda - I can tell a joke about his death?

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Feel free.

For the record, though, I'm pro Mace all the way, and if I absolutely, positively had to kill every Sith in the room, I'd accept no substitute.

6. Major Smith

Major Smith Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2013
    I'm a big fan of Mace Windu, I mean I've always liked him in the three films more so than Yoda for some reason. I know his duel with sidous is unpopular and if you look past his strategic failure on the whole mission he dueled very well.

7. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Then he went out like a punk.

8. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Strategy is what makes up most of how you duel a person though.

9. Major Smith

Major Smith Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2013

I meant the grand Strategy of deciding to go the the Chancellor and arrest him rather than try something Alternative.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Tactics is how you duel a person. Strategy is deciding who to duel, and when and where and why.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When 900 years old one reaches, runs out, Medicare on Dagobah does.

I love Mace as I've said but the window joke was damn funny. I'd bet Samuel L. Jackson would laugh at it.

Sarge and DarthDuckie like this.
  12. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I'd also say your strategy is part of how you duel as well though. Tactics are a part of it, like you said, but your strategy is what births your tactics.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I have long held the believe that Samuel L Jackson's acting career is semi-autobiographical. IE; he quit being a hitman to wander the earth and go on adventures, defending planes from snakes and such before finding a portal to the GFFA, become a Jedi master and surviving his epic duel with Sidious, albeit without his eye, whereupon he returns to earth to become Nick Fury, Director of SHIELD, until he is forced to retire into hiding as an LAPD officer who harrasses his neighbor until his tragic demise.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

15. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    That is the way I read it, also.

16. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    It's not that i don't like the character, but i interpret him differently than most. I think he's as close to a Sith as any non-fallen Jedi. Although everything he does is for what he sees as the good of the galaxy, he seems to believe that the power given to him through the force makes him a greater authority than he deserves to be. His encroachment in political affairs and integration of the Jedi Order into the Republic war machine play right into Sidious's hands. He's militaristic and, if we want to bring EU into this, utilizes a fighting style that requires one to enjoy combat on some level. That doesn't sound much like a Jedi to me. I can imagine a What If? type story with Mace executing Sidious, and slowly turning the Republic into a theocracy following his aggressive view on the Force; The Jedi Empire.

Sarge likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I wouldn't take it that far. I definitely think that if he had been able to execute Sidious, he and Yoda would have taken over the Republic for awhile, but I don't think Mace would have enjoyed that kind of power and would have been ready to relinquish it as soon as possible.

Aggressive, sure. But I think that he always had enough control to stop himself before he delved into the Dark Side, which is why he was the only one capable of mastering Vaapad. He taught it to Depa Billaba but then she turned--not due to Vaapad itself but due to the war.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love that Jango's like "aw, crud" and Boba's like "Oh, CRUD, that's-a-lightsaber!" I've never really focused on Logan in that picture but his surprised expression is probably his best acting performance in the entire movie. [face_whistling]

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  20. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Mace was great in Unshatterable

[​IMG]

:p

21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Okay, this is just too damn much. Mace is closer to a Sith than any other non-fallen Jedi? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this. I see the influence of personal preference in this statement, not a clear and objective view. What is it about the Mace Windu character that causes so many STAR WARS fans to come up with some ludicrous ideas about him?

Mace closer to being a Sith than any of the other Jedi, aside from Anakin and Dooku? Between the end of the Battle of Naboo and the moment the Jedi Council had learned of a connection between Sidious and someone in Palpatine's circle, Mace had been firm in the idea that Anakin was the Chosen One.

Was the scene in which Mace had to put Anakin in his place in ROTS, the reason why so many fans have expressed hostility or created such lame ideas about him? What? They don't think he had the right to admonish Anakin? Here are some other theories:

*Mace wasn't that strong in the Force, but was a skilled warrior

*Mace could have never defeated Palpatine on his own (Yet according to LucasFilm; he, Yoda and Anakin were the only ones powerful enough to defeat Palpatine).

*Mace liked to tap into the Dark Side, in compare to other Jedi Knights (we come back to the Mace being closer to being a Sith idea).

*Mace was responsible for Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, because he ordered Anakin to remain at the Temple during the attempt to arrest Palpatine. :rolleyes:

*Mace was the one who had erased the Kamino files from the Jedi Archives and was, therefore, the Jedi traitor (this dumb theory popped up after AOTC was released)

*Mace's purple lightsaber represented his light and dark side. Actually, the color purple represents royalty. However, I do wonder what had represented Obi-Wan or Yoda's light and dark sides. Interesting that no one is willing to consider this.

What on earth is this stream of negativity directed toward Mace Windu by so many SW fans? Why do they seem to dislike him so much? Many act as if he had no business being a Jedi Master. Is it because many fans didn't like the idea of Samuel L. Jackson in one of science-fiction's biggest sagas? Is that it?

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol you so mad.

How is suggesting Mace is as close to a Sith as any non-fallen Jedi a "stream of negativity"? How is that statement negative in any way? Is saying Luke was close to the dark side in ROTJ negative, too? No, it's just fact.

When did that person say he disliked Mace? He even pointed out "it's not that I don't like the character".

Mace going down a dark path isn't ludicrous at all. His personality changes dramatically over the course of the prequels. He's strikingly stoic in TPM, laughing off the idea of Dooku arranging an assassination at the beginning of AOTC and extremely agitated throughout ROTS. Is this immaterial? Did Lucas just say "Do whatever you want, Sam. Put on your Sam Jackson attitude." Maybe.

I had a couple paragraphs typed up, but I know it's a waste of page space. In the end, Mace made the exact opposite choice that Luke made at the end of ROTJ. What does that say?

23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    From what I've seen the Jedi Council in general (Mace, Obi-wan and Yoda) have a chance of being considered the villains of the story by those sympathetic to Anakin. (And their treatment of Ahsoka in TCW did not help).

I didn't know that Mace Windu was encroaching on political affairs. I thought the opposite, that he was extremely wary of the Senate and wanted the Jedi Order to remain as separate from the Republic's warmongering as possible.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sympathetic to Anakin. But there's a difference between being sympathetic to him and thinking that he should have been allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted at any time with no admonishment from the Council. Hating every character who ever scolded my favorite character or didn't think he was The Galaxy's Most Awesome, goes beyond sympathetic.

I had no problem with the way they treated Ahsoka either; they were following procedure and they apologized in the end.

25. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I actually like Samuel L. Jackson, and much of what I said was speculative, based on impressions from both the movies and EU. I don't think he's evil at all, but I think he represents what led the Jedi astray. It could of even been intentional, but half of being a star wars fan is reading way too into things.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.