main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if the "big assumptions" are wrong, and the Empire is still in control?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    "Rebel groups begin to spring up, in backlash against the new Emperor, but they resort to terrorism"

I love the OPs story aside from this part. I think the whole "rebels = terrorists from a certain point of view" thing has been done to death. I don't mind propaganda unfairly painting the rebels as terrorists, but it's pretty hard for me to buy evil!rebels in Star Wars when the SW government is so horrible.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's a reflection of modern times. Just look at Syria. Assad is horrible, but some of the rebel groups (not all, but some) are doing things just as barbaric.

We've seen evil empires in Star Wars before. Haven't seen bloodthirsty rebels yet. Think of the French Revolution. People who want liberty and justice for all... but justice where all their oppressors and the "elites" of society are blamed for everything and butchered.

And anyways, the OP was just an example to get people thinking. Glad you liked it!

VanishingReality likes this.
  3. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I could see some underground Imperial sympathizers running around trying to resurrect the good old days, but that's about it.

4. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    "The Emperor was killed at the end of Episode 6 (along with a massive military defeat)... and there wasn't going to be an Episode 7... so everyone has just assumed this meant the Rebels would inevitably go on to win back the entire galaxy and restore the Republic.

But with Episode 7 now being created... what if that assumption was wrong?"

I think the belief that "the Emperor was killed" is a pretty big "assumption".
    He may have survived.

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    When Rome fell the barbarian hoards overran the cities and villages. The political structure nearly and then inevitably, completely collapsed. The power structure was transferred to the Roman Catholic Church, with which kept control through the diocese, which were created before the fall by the Emperor Diocletian.

I don't know if this makes sense, because of the rebellion. Rome fell through internal contradiction, but not all out rebellion.

During the American Revolutionary War the rebels defeated an occupying Imperial power. The English were defeated by a rebellion, but not completely destroyed. The rebels simply wanted self-determination.

The 1st Galactic Empire did not last very long, if we believe that ROTJ has seen the last of it.

The Early American Republic had difficulty surviving in the 1790's and up to 1815, under constant threat from the English and the French.

I give up.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Destroying the English had NOTHING to do with the war. NOBODY was trying to destroy the English.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Correct. Excepting the French. They would have been more than happy to destroy the English. In North America and anywhere else conflicting with French interests.

I was attempting to relate it to the Galactic Empire, which is apparently destroyed at the end of ROTJ.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    With the Empire, the war revolved around destroying the Empire. It wasn't just the goal of one group that was being led by another. And don't forget that the Sith ARE destroyed at the end of ROTJ.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I was brainstorming historical equivalents to our story, but realized how difficult that is to do, so I gave up.

The Sith ARE destroyed, could be a 'big assumption', or not?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So Lucas would have us believe atm.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was trying to explain the Empire's destruction. The destruction of the Sith helps explain the destruction of the Empire.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps relevant to the Empire's fall is that Morsi was removed from power in Egypt today!

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Uh, how is that relevant?

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He's free to play a role in SW, I guess.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's relevant in that a government fell out of power with its leader.

16. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The empire was the will of one man. When the emperor died it marked the dawn of a new age.

I would be highly, HIGHLY disappointed if the empire is still a threat by the time of the new films.

17. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    the empire is dead no leader or enforcer no death star, ships being destroyed, clone soldiers numbers crumbling the rebel allience was too strong by this point to be stopped.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That happens all the time...

And we don't yet know what will happen to Egypt, with Morsi gone...

19. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yes but there was a lot of (thousands) of planets involved all ahungry for power and influence...i will be highly dissapointed if we dont see
    remnants, ghosts or traces of the Empire

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It's important to keep time in mind... from when Palpatine declared the reorganization of the Republic into the first Galactic Empire to Palpatine's death in ROTJ is about 23 years.

From THAT point, to EpVII, is somewhere probably between 30 & 40 years. LONGER than the Empire existed with an Emperor.

No, I don't think we'll see much in the way of the Empire. Not as any kind of threat, anyway. Could be fun if the movie opens and we see a ship fleeing...something... and then we see a Star Destroyer and it's almost like the chase from EpIV--but staged differently. The SD opens fire--and hits a DIFFERENT ship, the one that was actually chasing the fleeing 'good guy' ship. Then we see a brief communication between the captains where the Republic or Jedi ship or whatever thanks the Imperial SD, who responds "Always happy to aid our Republic/Jedi/whatever allies. We'll sweep the area in case there are more them; good luck in your travels." And then later you've got one of the OT heroes or even one of the younger ones making some comment akin to "It's always weird being on an Imperial world... just a few decades ago these guys were our enemies."

21. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Personal assumptions challenged by release date:
    1. ANH: n/a
    2. ESB: Dad
    3. ROTJ: sister
    4. TPM: virgin birth
    5. AOTC: clones fought for Republic
    6. ROTS: Anakin turns due to love, not hate

I liked the way it unfolded, from a macro level.

My guesses/assumptions for Ep 7:

1. Rebels didn't form a new government, just enacted reform in the existing one, which in theory, worked, minus the corruption. Kinda like tsarist Russia; every other emperor tightened control, the ones in between loosened it.
    2. Mon Mothma is head of state. Will be kinda Mandela-like: older, respected, etc.
    3. Maybe Han and Leia got married, but never had children. It's not their style.
    4. I think Luke becomes the archetypical solitary monk.
    5. The Jedi order is small. Why? a) Luke has to learn how to find force-sensitive people. b) distrust of the Jedi still permeates the galaxy, and people don't want to give up their kids; c) nor does Luke want kids - he looks for teenager types who have some perspective on life, as he did, and who already possess the proper moral compass. d) he can only train so many, and in 30 years, the tree only grows so much.

It is possible the rule of two will now apply to Jedi.

It is possible the galaxy is split into factions, a la Revolution on NBC.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This. I think it would really undermine the importance of Palpatine if his Empire lasted longer without him than it did with him. It will be very interesting to see the state of the galaxy by the time Episode VII starts up and how Palpatine's legacy still affects it. I think the characters should regard his name almost with the same fear that the characters in Harry Potter speak the name of Voldemort. It should almost be too terrible to speak. I would love to see a scenario where the Republic is conducting witch hunts against any potential dark siders. It would be interesting to see a ban on all Imperial symbolism or dark side artifacts. I would love to see old Imperials and dark siders going on trial and it would be interesting if someone referred to the trials as constantly ongoing. What I'm trying to get at is that I think the Empire could still have a large impact on the story even if it is not a major threat.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    It is not likely that the empire is in control. Not after what we saw at the end on RotJ. I have a feeling that they have regrouped, but it would take 30 years to get the amount of power that they once held.

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    o_O

LOL, Morsi would never go for it. He'd just denounce it as one of the Great Satan's many nefarious tools to distract people from what's REALLY important: Allah (and really, the closed-minded little cretin would say, isn't that all you'll ever really need in life? I mean, who needs running water, working communications, trains running on time, basic systems working, jobs, and all of that worthless mundane crap; Allah provides!).

Yeah, not so much; even Egypt isn't so devout that it wanted THIS loser and his backward bunch to hang around. The best irony of all is that the young protestors in Egypt used to hate the army as an arm of the Egyptian government (and by "used to," I mean something like "just last year."); now they've found common cause WITH the army AGAINST the government.

Amazing history. But maybe not the best example of historical patterns to follow in the ST there...

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not so confident that the empire will still be control, but I do definitely think that our expectations are completely off from what we WILL end up seeing in 2015-and we will end up seeing something that we couldn't possibly expect.

I'm actually what I would call " cautiously excited" about that!

darklordoftech likes this.