main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Heroine of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    My brother-in-law is a chef, and so was my uncle.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Know a man, one of my dad's best friends, and his wife and he are like the ultimate kitchen tag-team. They opened a restaurant, and it eventually failed, but this was due to monetary issues rather than the food. Together they made some awesome food, and he loved to experiment.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Because its played for comedic effect? Without Willie Scott we don't get that great line "WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!!"

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My brother is a tax attorney but he can cook like nobody's business. My sister-in-law has invited people to "come taste my husband's pork tenderloin--it will reform you vegetarians of your strange ways".

As far as the comedic effect of Willie Scott--that would be great if she were funny. She isn't.

Comedic effect would have been Indy throwing her into a ravine the first time she whined about the parties she was missing in Shanghai.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    As far as the whole "women in kitchen" thing:

Agriculture was pretty much created by women. Women created agriculture which in turn gave birth to civilization.

But culinary arts was almost exclusively a male dominated institution(historically) as a profession. Many of the greatest cooks ever were dudes.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I would argue she makes everyone else around her funny by her presence. "Oh come on Dr. Jones, no time for love."

7. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Soooo the Heroine of the Sequel Trilogy should be a culinary champ who redeems fallen Jedi through delicious cuisine.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, that should be the hero. The fallen Jedi should be a woman, and she should be hot. And a feisty badass.

Then dudes will be encouraged to get the hell back in the kitchen where they belong.

9. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    For some things there should be a "love" button.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Except when it's me. I shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen. Ever. :p

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, well in that case... ;)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    All men and women cook better than me, as well as animals trained to press a button on a microwave oven.

I can't cook at all

"I'm doomed." - C3PO

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    You'd better eat raw veggies or you are done for.

Back to the topic at hand, all fight scenes in movies are absurd. Real fights are more like UFC without the skill. It's just two idiots wallowing around. But everyone bought Leia as a bad ass because Carrie sold it. More than anything, the new female leads-and the new male leads-need to make us believe in their characters. They accomplish that, that is half the battle right there. Imagine ANH without Mark and Carrie being so real as Luke and Leia. No matter how great the rest of it was, the movie would have seemed corny, and not good corny but bad corny.

I am a PT defender, but if Hayden and Natalie had been anywhere near as good as Mark and Carrie were, then the PT would be viewed differently.

This is my biggest fear about the ST, because actors who can play a hero or a heroine as well as Mark did in all 3 films and as good as Carrie did in the first two are hard to find. Luke especially is a much harder character to get across than most people think. Luckily if Mark is in the ST, he can help the new hero/heroine be as honest and as sincere as he was. He believes in heroes, and it showed in the OT.

14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    If reading seven pages of this has taught me anything, it's that I - as a 16-year-old make - am completely unqualified to even talk about the role of women in action films. That being said, I will state that I would be fine with the main protagonist as a male or a female, as long as they can act.

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be cool to see something like Cade Skywalker's storyline from the Legacy comics. A strong, already adult and competent female protagonist, starts out as an anti-hero, wants nothing to do with the Jedi or the Skywalker/Solo name and uses her skill for bounty hunting or something. Eventually, she comes around since she's basically the only one left who has the power/ability/potential to stop whatever new threat there is and returns to her Jedi training - all the while maintaining her rather unorthodox methods.
    The particulars of how these events unfold can go in pretty much any direction, to avoid it being just a copy / adaptation of the Legacy series.

Would at the same time avoid the somewhat stale "coming of age" story and show us an already strong female character - and one in awesome looking power armor, at that, none of that cheap ripped clothes or what have you.
    Also, I think it would be interesting to move away from the "goody goodies and utterly evil baddies" and have some exploration of the grey areas in between, especially with the main hero and villain and their relationship.

EDIT - I always thought this chick from The Old Republic was pretty badass. A quite good example of how a female character can be good looking without being in tight leather S&M gear or with "accidentaly" ripped clothes.

[​IMG]

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no idea who that is but she looks pretty cool.

17. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Shae Vizla. Archetype for TOR's bounty hunter class.

18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Hoping against hope that Disney's next princess is a wise-cracking, butt-kicking Alana Solo.

Oh, and Anji, her pet nexu.

;)

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just hope that a female lead isn't made all butch and super-"tough as nails" for the sake of it, just to prove a point.

I'd imagine Episode VII is likely not meant to be some kind of political statement, gunning for the power of feminism across the nation. I would LOVE to see a female lead, but a female lead that both women AND men could be drawn to or inspired by.

Perhaps a character like Ripley from Alien (even though I thought she was great) may be a BIT too much for Star Wars at least, but a character like Katniss Everdeen in Hunger Games/Catching Fire, for example. I think Jennifer lawrence played that part perfectly: a girl with clear and visible feminine characteristics and mannerisms; and yet physically adept, strongwilled, independent and very wise. Seeing a female lead with such characteristics could be quite satisfying to watch.

I hope THAT is what we see...

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Trust me, women can and should be inspired by a "tough as nails" female character.

Overly dependent damsels in distress, OTOH, are pretty uninspiring.

Leia was considered "too tough as nails" in 1977 but thank goodness Lucas made her that way.

21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I have no issue with a female hero, but if they try too hard to do it, it will fail miserably. Just as anything that is over thought, a female hero just for the sake a a female hero will come off as phony and incredibly forced. If they cast too "pretty" it will not be believable. If they cast too rough, it will be looked as as "butchy".

Leia is an awesome hero and she comes naturally. She was written well and Carrie Fisher's personality come across very well and is very strong and likeable. Could you imagine if that role went to the "hot" actress of the day?

If the story and casting is solid, and the hero happens to be a woman............GREAT!

Sarge likes this.
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hey, here's a neat idea:

Why not more than one female hero?

Pretty cool idea, amirite?

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Charlie's Angels IN SPAAAACE!

Immortiss likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Better heroines than that I hope.

25. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I couldn't give a rats what gender the lead(s) are as long as they are well written. Its 2013 not 1913 and sex is irrelevant in terms of carrying a movie. Looking at the casting call it could be either/or, but I'm cool with whatever they decide

Sarge likes this.