main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd like to get ARCs of art books. I would be all over those.

And I hope you feel better, Ish. Sue that store good!

And I am not looking forward to all the fireworks and festivities tomorrow. Mabel will be absolutely thrilled.

2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012

My dogs are going to be equally thrilled. Usually they crowd up on my mom's bed together. Poor babies.

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There were some fireworks this evening, and Mabel was curled up on her chair with my Mewtwo plushie. Yes, Mabel. Mewtwo will protect you from those evil fireworks. He'll use Psychic. It will be super effective.

4. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I can't really enjoy fireworks anymore. I have epilepsy so it takes the fun out of it

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't like the noise or the poppers that are basically an aerial flash-bang. Viewing fireworks from afar is fine, but I don't like how the explosions thud in my chest when I'm up close.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My US residence is in the heart of Philadelphia. 4th of July is like being exiled to Hell for a person such as myself. Nothing to do with patriotism... everything to do with gazillions of tourists dressed as colonials in the middle of major streets & clogging up restaurants, fireworks going off all week at random times and performers such as Demi Lovato on stage right in the middle of a main arterial route. My dog left a suicide note.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I can only imagine the noise and the people. Canada Day is big here, especially in bigger cities, but it's nothing compared to the 4th of July in the US, or so I'm told.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's rather overwhelming. I live only a few blocks away from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, so it's not a fun scene this week. I was in Toronto on Canada Day, once.

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My kids don't want to go see the fireworks this year. They want to sit in front of the computer killing alien zombies instead...because nothing says Independence Day like killing aliens. :( I sort of wanted to go, but not alone.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, to be fair, witnessing random chemical explosions in the sky while getting devoured by mosquitos technically doesn't really say Independence Day, either. :p

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    The fireworks are about to drive me out of my ever-loving mind!!! They are so loud. And it's raining outside. Apparently fireworks stop for nothing. My three year old is not asleep. The last few years she slept through them but was asleep before they started. No such luck this year. If it wasn't raining I'd just take her outside to watch. I'm in a no win situation!! I just put her back to bed after a potty break. Poor little gal. She's so tired! (Trying to bunk in with her didn't go so well as she perked up and was like "Let's have a tea-party!" as she rubbed her eyes. LOL)

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . But, but, but, Will Smith and Bill Pullman lied to me, then!

[face_laugh]

Draconarius and Jedi_Lover like this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My hubby didn't tell us until today that he bought a bazillion firecrackers. So he and the boys are outside making noise in our normally silent forest. Here they are firing off bottle rockets in the backyard. Of course they weren't wearing shoes and one firecracker landed on my son's foot. So he did what any normal person would do with a burn...dunk it into a bacteria infested lake. o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So, we're outside, watching the fireworks from the Stadium Of Fire. The neighbours are also outside, on the roof of their house. The following happens.

Neighbour kid (screaming): Oh, oh, yes, yes, yes, ohh, yes! Yes, oohhh, yessss!
    Me (to my mother): The fireworks aren't that good . . .

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    "I'll have what she's having." :p

We had a few more deaths this week. It is strange how tourists are dying up here. Has anybody else heard of dry-drowning? Its been happening every spring or early summer up here and I never heard of it until I moved up north. It occurs when the weather is warm, but the water is still freezing cold. We have kayakers or people in canoes tipping over and falling into the water. Most have their life jackets on, but the shock of hitting the cold water causes their larynx to spasm. No water gets into their lungs, but neither does the air. We'll find the person floating in the water, but there is no water in their lungs. We had three of these types of deaths in the last couple weeks and more from hypothermia (despite the 80 degree weather). That is really, really scary.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Am I the only one who loves fireworks?? I love them no matter what, but after going to Disney World, any other ones pale in comparison.
    Ugh... I bet that is miserable. Boston is bad enough!

Jedi_Lover - I have heard for "dry drowning", but I'm a respiratory therapist so I guess that can be expected. ;) It's not the fact that they are in the water that makes it a drowning, either, more that the pressure inside the body from the laryngospasm causes pulmonary edema (because of a lot of stuff I won't go into) and essentially someone drowns in their own body fluid. It can happen from other things, as well.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think the newspaper over simplified the definition of what caused the deaths. It is scary though mavjade because you really can't prevent it by wearing a life jacket because it is not the water killing you. The deaths are disturbing. My town has a population of around 500 and the nearest city has a population of 15,000, but during the recent festival 500,000 tourists show up. I guess the increase of deaths is due to the population influx.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've heard of dry drowning. It happens here a lot. Two rivers run through this town and the water never gets warm here. It actually happened to some guy a few my grandparents knew a few weeks ago.

So, I got my new wheelchair today and I need to gush about it. It is so nice. The last wheelchair I had, I got when I was 14 and I knew I wasn't going to have it very long so I had it made out of aluminum, plus at the time we had a small vehicle, so it needed to be a folding chair. Folding wheelchairs have a lot more components to them, so they can be quite heavy. Mine was about 35 lbs. My new one is a rigid frame, so there is very little to it, plus I got it made from titanium, which is much lighter than aluminum. It's only about 10lbs. Plus it's has a 'brushed chrome' look to it with red accents and red rims :p Because I'm all about style.

But it was funny, I was coming out of the mall and putting it into my mom's SUV and this little kid was like "You can't lift that". If I hadn't of been in a hurry, I would have asked "Well, why not?" But I just kinda brushed him off, lifted the wheelchair up and put it in the back with no problem.

Also, my cat is currently licking my toes for no apparent reason.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Gross! I hate it when cats lick your toes or ears. :(

Congrats on the wheel chair. No painted flames on the side? :D

The kids are driving me crazy. Why do they have to talk to video games? They don't talk back! At least the ones they are playing don't.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My cats lick anything they can get their tongues on. It's a sign of affection. They also view it was "washing" when you pet them.

And I love fireworks, too! Especially the big ones.

It finally started raining here. At least two really big downpours, and a few smaller ones. I'm loving it.

My mom gave me the Sherlock edition of Cluedo for my birthday. Bday isn't til Sunday, but my party is tomorrow and we're going to play it.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. No flames. I could have had the titanium frame 'tattooed', but I didn't like any of the designs, and there were no flames. My friends keep bugging me to paint flames on my electric wheelchair. I'm like no! The bat mobile does not have flames!

My cat woke me up the other morning by biting my ear. It was 5 am. I kicked her out of my room and didn't let her back in.

I love cluedo! No one will play with me because I'm too good at it. Happy early birthday!

My friends and I LOVE Dutch Blitz. Its a card game. Once we got like 6 Dutch Blits boxes and we had a game with 30 people, some playing as pairs. I've recently gotten my family into it.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Briannakin: your wheelchair sounds awesome! I think it's awesome that wheelchairs are being designed to look good these days, rather than just being functional.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    moosemousse Lol, thanks. Wheelchairs have come a long way since I got my first one 16 years ago. There are two companies that really focus on making wheelchairs look good as well as being functional: Colours and TiLite. Colours are just pimped out - we are talking rims with spinners and leopard print seats :p Unfortunately, they don't deal much out side of the US and they don't use titanium so they can be about twice as heavy. I was able to get a TiLite because they do international stuff. I had A LOT of colour options.

So my cat is pissed off at me because I woke her at 4 AM. I'm like: really, don't glare at me, you wake me at 5 am every freaking DAY.

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've seen people doing back flips and crazy tricks in wheelchairs. One guy even did a double back flip in his. He was crazy though. After one bad landing he said "I think I broke something. The chair held up ok, I think it's just a rib or something. Let's go again!"

Randomly, is it ok to compliment someone on their wheelchair?

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    An over simplification is understandable because most people wouldn't understand the actual science behind it. But I agree... it is scary, and though it sounds like it's happened a bunch there... it's pretty rare.

Glad you got a new chair, Briannakin... sounds awesome. I bet having one that's only 10lbs is so much nicer than 35lbs. I've seen some of the chairs from Colours, they were pretty cool, sad they don't deal outside the US. :(

So something interesing happened to me yesterday. My roommate and I went to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts to get out of the heat (we have memberships so it doesn't cost us anything we haven't already paid) and while we were walking down a hallway, all of the security/fire doors slammed shut and an announcement came asking everyone to leave via the nearest exit. I've looked in the local news to see if I can find what happened, but there is nothing. I figure someone just accidently set off an alarm, but my nosey side wants to know what happened. (I think I watch too much White Collar because my first thought was that it was a heist. :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.